Elkford Conditions

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
And??????

Before I spill the beans, I'd like to know what he is looking for. I'll start with a little bit; the bears are out, temp lights were on, and the trees are still green. Garlic/dill scallops at 7200' were delicious.

PS if you aren't too busy seeding, I could give you a safe tour and a few hours worth of sun tan.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be great but sled is cleaned up, put away and the guilt of riding when I should be here would eat me faster than me on those dill scallops. Lol.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Decisions, decisions, decisions..........eh!

I've got 3 sealed units to install, 1 room to make into 2 with a little drywall, paint, and lay some hardwood, and a couple of exterior doors to install but I'm not letting it bother me. New video tomorrow with quite a few avalanches.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
what is "worth while snow" in your eyes? I was up today and can give you and honest opinion.
Any kind of powder at all. I am from the prairies I don't see much powder. I seen your videos of elkford of easter weekend and that looked amazing I would love to go in that kind of snow.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Before I spill the beans, I'd like to know what he is looking for. I'll start with a little bit; the bears are out, temp lights were on, and the trees are still green. Garlic/dill scallops at 7200' were delicious.

PS if you aren't too busy seeding, I could give you a safe tour and a few hours worth of sun tan.
Too wet for seeding here still, should start within next two weeks. Got all the machinery out and ready though. Any news on forecast for any kind of precipitation? Snow up top? What elevations are there for Riding in elkford.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Any kind of powder at all. I am from the prairies I don't see much powder. I seen your videos of elkford of easter weekend and that looked amazing I would love to go in that kind of snow.

Too wet for seeding here still, should start within next two weeks. Got all the machinery out and ready though. Any news on forecast for any kind of precipitation? Snow up top? What elevations are there for Riding in elkford.

Unless Mother Nature blesses us with a lot of rain in the valley bottom and near freezing temps our powder season is long over. It will be sweet next November! The snow yesterday was pretty much untracked but very crusty and frozen. Didn't get slushy until around noon.

Our riding is now on "hero snow" or "go anywhere snow". There is no carving, some climbing if one thinks it safe, and easy tree riding floating on top of the snow. Nice days to go sit in the sun and watch the spring sluffing. The staging area is at 4500' and we mostly ride 6500-7500'.

jdaniel

Reaction score
Decisions, decisions, decisions..........eh!

I've got 3 sealed units to install, 1 room to make into 2 with a little drywall, paint, and lay some hardwood, and a couple of exterior doors to install but I'm not letting it bother me. New video tomorrow with quite a few avalanches.

Did you get the "new video" posted yet? Dan

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Unless Mother Nature blesses us with a lot of rain in the valley bottom and near freezing temps our powder season is long over. It will be sweet next November! The snow yesterday was pretty much untracked but very crusty and frozen. Didn't get slushy until around noon.

Our riding is now on "hero snow" or "go anywhere snow". There is no carving, some climbing if one thinks it safe, and easy tree riding floating on top of the snow. Nice days to go sit in the sun and watch the spring sluffing. The staging area is at 4500' and we mostly ride 6500-7500'.

That's exactly what i was wanting to know. What i'm after isn't necessarily the pure soft fluffy chest deep powder, but any soft snow period. Like the snow in your video's is what i would be after.

I decided against going this weekend due to being sick as a dog, but i'm thinking about making a May trip if there will be any snow like your video's.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
That's exactly what i was wanting to know. What i'm after isn't necessarily the pure soft fluffy chest deep powder, but any soft snow period. Like the snow in your video's is what i would be after.

I decided against going this weekend due to being sick as a dog, but i'm thinking about making a May trip if there will be any snow like your video's.

I was in the Rolling Hills yesterday (southeast of Fernie) doing trail maintenance and it didn't rain to the top; 2" of fresh starting at 5000'. It was untracked and pretty much "go anywhere" snow.

There were 3 of your buddies (not literally, but 3 dudes from the "old country" and in particular Estevan area) and they had a great time. Thought the snow was awesome! Climbed, carved what they could, and rode the trees with big smiles on their faces.

The trail is awesome; snow line is just past the first bridge past Matheson. I don't think we rode more than 40' of intermittent dirt. The guys from the "old country" had a 4-place and they were able to turn around just past the bridge. The next wide spot would be the double switch back and it will be awhile before that is available for turning around.

I rode for 4 days in Sicamous/Revy in mid-March and this trail, even after not being groomed for 3 weeks was better than anything I rode on there.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I was in the Rolling Hills yesterday (southeast of Fernie) doing trail maintenance and it didn't rain to the top; 2" of fresh starting at 5000'. It was untracked and pretty much "go anywhere" snow.

There were 3 of your buddies (not literally, but 3 dudes from the "old country" and in particular Estevan area) and they had a great time. Thought the snow was awesome! Climbed, carved what they could, and rode the trees with big smiles on their faces.

The trail is awesome; snow line is just past the first bridge past Matheson. I don't think we rode more than 40' of intermittent dirt. The guys from the "old country" had a 4-place and they were able to turn around just past the bridge. The next wide spot would be the double switch back and it will be awhile before that is available for turning around.

I rode for 4 days in Sicamous/Revy in mid-March and this trail, even after not being groomed for 3 weeks was better than anything I rode on there.
Oh nice that sounds great, I have a sled deck but don't know if I am goin to use it, ramp isn't long enough for my truck, I use a ditch and my ramp usually and it works perfect.

How many different rising area's are there in the area? I would be interested in trying out everything I can. I have rode Rey last year on June 20 and the trail was not that bad, being from Saskatchewan I'm not afraid of a little rough riding.

Let me know. Thanks.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Oh nice that sounds great, I have a sled deck but don't know if I am goin to use it, ramp isn't long enough for my truck, I use a ditch and my ramp usually and it works perfect.

How many different rising area's are there in the area? I would be interested in trying out everything I can. I have rode Rey last year on June 20 and the trail was not that bad, being from Saskatchewan I'm not afraid of a little rough riding.

Let me know. Thanks.

I won't be riding in June, as I have too many other things to doo that time of year. Traditionally, I shut down Mother's Day or the long weekend. Keep in touch.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Today we got another surprise; the 5th or last avi came down again and crossed the trail. It is just amazing that there was still that much snow up there.

The first picture is from a few years ago and I estimated 9' of debris under the SnowCat. The peeps standing on the debris this time are 6' tall so you figure how high this pile is and it filtered through the bush to the west and the third picture is 50-100' down the trail to the west.

Spring riding at it's finest.

100_2125.jpg IMG_1128.jpg IMG_1133.jpg

Top Bottom