Electric vehicles

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thats good for a laugh..... by 2030 the electric car fad will be long dead as people that have them won't be able to sell them because the batteries are pooched and the recycling and replacement costs will be more than the car is worth....and with all the big emitters being exempted from the carbon tax schemes the emissions will continue to rise and the revenue from the tax will be squarely on the shoulders of consumers resulting in a revolt....typical liberal pie in the sky wishful thinking.....

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats good for a laugh..... by 2030 the electric car fad will be long dead as people that have them won't be able to sell them because the batteries are pooched and the recycling and replacement costs will be more than the car is worth....and with all the big emitters being exempted from the carbon tax schemes the emissions will continue to rise and the revenue from the tax will be squarely on the shoulders of consumers resulting in a revolt....typical liberal pie in the sky wishful thinking.....

You remind me a lot of a guy at work who told me the iPhone was going to be a flop and to buy stock in RIM.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just go with whatever Disney invests in. They went with VHS and beta died. They went with Blu-ray and whatever the competition was died. Pay attention to what EV manufacturing company they invest in.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You remind me a lot of a guy at work who told me the iPhone was going to be a flop and to buy stock in RIM.

Youre obviously invested in the electric car thing and it’s gonna be interesting to watch your experiences and I hope you’ll keep us posted on how it works for you. The other 99% of us vehicle owners on the road aren’t interested in the additional costs, inconvenience and lifestyle changes that come with an electric vehicle. The technology definitely has merit up to the point where you power the thing. That’s where it falls short. Battery technology isn’t there yet, and should it ever get there, then we are all gonna face the prospect of the massive costs of upgrading the entire electricity grid to move from fossil fuels to electricity for transportation.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The batteries are extremely expensive on those cars, some will be dillegant at keeping the charge between 40-70% and their batteries will last a far bit ...most will not care and just drive the car and that day when the batteries are so bad it has to be dealt with will arrive way quicker than they would like.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The whole horseless carriage thing is just a fad. Improving the gasoline distribution grid won't happen and we'll all be back to our good trusty steeds. I can't wait to see some hippy stuck on the side of the road begging for a ride. A horse can stop anywhere to graze! Mark my words, it'll all be over with by 1930!

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The batteries are extremely expensive on those cars, some will be dillegant at keeping the charge between 40-70% and their batteries will last a far bit ...most will not care and just drive the car and that day when the batteries are so bad it has to be dealt with will arrive way quicker than they would like.

Tesla battery cost is near $100 USD/kWh right now. 75kWh battery costs $7500 to make right now in 2018. What do you think it will cost in 2022 per kWh?

Plugging in at home takes less than 10 seconds. It does not take a lot of effort to treat the batteries properly. Going below 40% does not do any harm either.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tesla battery cost is near $100 USD/kWh right now. 75kWh battery costs $7500 to make right now in 2018. What do you think it will cost in 2022 per kWh?

Plugging in at home takes less than 10 seconds. It does not take a lot of effort to treat the batteries properly. Going below 40% does not do any harm either.

Given there is no price protection on the raw materials used it could be cheaper, or it could be ten times higher depending on how the market for it goes. Right now Tesla is the largest EV car manufacturer making use of the materials used for battery production but as many believe EV manufacturers will grow the demand for those materials will be higher.

But even then is the a average owner going to replace the battery on their own? You essentially have to lift the body off the car chassis from what I saw. Originally they were going to have a pack that dropped out the bottom. Then is the battery being manufactured today going to be the same as what is manufactured in 2022 and beyond and will the product then be compatible with today’s EV? Tesla’s own batteries have already gone through 3 iterations on battery design. They say the new battery is going to be the version they use for the future but there is no guarantee.

Granted a lot of the worry isn’t really justified as they have I believe an 8 year warranty on the packs?

It’s pretty cool stuff and the next few years will be interesting.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Given there is no price protection on the raw materials used it could be cheaper, or it could be ten times higher depending on how the market for it goes. Right now Tesla is the largest EV car manufacturer making use of the materials used for battery production but as many believe EV manufacturers will grow the demand for those materials will be higher.

But even then is the a average owner going to replace the battery on their own? You essentially have to lift the body off the car chassis from what I saw. Originally they were going to have a pack that dropped out the bottom. Then is the battery being manufactured today going to be the same as what is manufactured in 2022 and beyond and will the product then be compatible with today’s EV? Tesla’s own batteries have already gone through 3 iterations on battery design. They say the new battery is going to be the version they use for the future but there is no guarantee.

Granted a lot of the worry isn’t really justified as they have I believe an 8 year warranty on the packs?

It’s pretty cool stuff and the next few years will be interesting.

So based on this chart you think that battery price will increase?

Attachments

• Battery-Cost-Curve-Chart-v.2.jpg
    Battery-Cost-Curve-Chart-v.2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 92

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you have a generator that charges at 220 you are going to be waiting a fair bit to recharge the thing

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I for one can’t wait for electric sleds. 0-70 mph in 3 secs, no cooling, no burnt belts , no race gas( except in my generator:). I want to find a smashed up Tesla and throw a motor in my pro chassis.
I think the battery pack on a sled would just be to horrendous to make it feasible. To do an average day on the mountain would require so much capacity. No quick charge stations where I ride. Around the farm I think an electric sled or side by side could work but it’s just so easy to pour fuel in when needed.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So based on this chart you think that battery price will increase?

I am not a market analyst but as mentioned manufacturing cost would be something I would be concerned with. Forecasting and reality are not always equal. Right now the Lithium triangle uses reportedly a lot of child labour for its mining operation. Is it true? If mining continues and EV are a mainstay of public/private vehicles will consumers be okay with that? Maybe.

What about other restrictions or unforeseen issues with manufacturing? Maybe heavy levies on recycling costs for Lithium power cells? Imagine a “carbon” like tax on these super cell batteries.

It’s great that Panasonic is leading the way on the production. They obviously have a ton of experience in it but just because a chart forecasts the manufacturing cost for one company will go down doesn’t mean there will be no future hurdles.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The whole horseless carriage thing is just a fad. Improving the gasoline distribution grid won't happen and we'll all be back to our good trusty steeds. I can't wait to see some hippy stuck on the side of the road begging for a ride. A horse can stop anywhere to graze! Mark my words, it'll all be over with by 1930!
Clever post.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the EV has some value but I trying to figure out what that value is.
I use a small car to get back and forth to work, less than a 5min drive. I know what that car costs per month to operate. What im trying to figure out if I replaced my current car what my monthly costs of that EV would be??? How would that car be warmed up at -30 when Im ready to leave the house etc.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am against anything being subsidized at the expense of something else, the governments way of killing industry. I was thinking of greyhound bus lines, we had government subsidized highway of tears bus lines and then subsidized health care bus ...then what do you know it the unsubsidized greyhound quit running and everyone is devastated. The worst government funded projects right now that make no sense at all, are the wind mills. Industry works dam good if the government stay the hell out of it and lets it make it or break it on its own merits, not a tax payers funded white elephant that never really works proper. I have no doubt battery operated stuff can make it on its own, including cars and other stuff like Milwaukee impact guns....but let that happen. Of coarse you guys in Alberta should know all about how a Government can kill industry. They flattened your province in 2 years.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha. Some of these posts seem like they are written by Eeyore. If there is a downside, that is what I will focus on. I will ignore the places where electric vehicles will work better that anything used now (urban use regardless of temperature). A provincial government must be solely responsible for low world oil prices and the fact that others don't want a pipeline across their land.

I hope you can get out of this funk and enjoy Christmas and the holiday season an :)d work on developing a bit more positive attitude.

Top Bottom