Electric starter engages at 6000 RPM?????

barthasbite

Reaction score
Just rebuilt the topend on my 06 Summit X 800, as I was breaking it in last night the electric starter tried to engage with the engine hit 6000 RPM (sparks were flying!!)
Anyone know why a starter may start to engage with the engine at speed???

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just rebuilt the topend on my 06 Summit X 800, as I was breaking it in last night the electric starter tried to engage with the engine hit 6000 RPM (sparks were flying!!)

Was it engaging or did the high RPM's snag the gears? Not sure on sleds but on some older cars if there wasn't enough shims the ring gear would catch the flywheel at high RPM's.

barthasbite

Reaction score
The small starter gear starts to spin slowly at 5000rpm and at 6000 it actually moves out a 1/4". I've been told it could be a faulty switch, I'll check that next...

DTH

Reaction score
It's the nature of the beast they'll all do it eventually. The 800 R is really bad for this, I think has something to do with viberation causing the gear to work out.

barthasbite

Reaction score
definately vibration!! I took off the starter and connected it to the battery, ran the sled to 7000rpm and no issue.

Anyone know how to fix this?? new spring?? rubber mounts??
or should I replace the starter??

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen this before a long time ago. Replace the return spring on the starter gear with one that hasn't gone so soft if you can find one (starter/alternator shop).
But you might have not entirely cured your engine problem. Why is it vibrating so bad (bad crank//clutch problem(if so BE Very CAREFUL: it could explode)?

Powder hound

Reaction score
definately vibration!! I took off the starter and connected it to the battery, ran the sled to 7000rpm and no issue.

Anyone know how to fix this?? new spring?? rubber mounts??
or should I replace the starter??

Replace the spring. They get weak over time.
Had the same problem and it doesnt take long before the gear is toast when it keeps vibrating out at higher rpms.

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Had the same problem... bought a thicker, heavier spring from a guy on snowest.com forum. still engaged. I ended up taping starter bendix so it wouldnt move and didnt use it anymore. It seemed to start doing this once warranty ran out. Sold the sled. good ridence.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might call Power Merchants in St. Paul parts dept. & ask for the price of a factory shortblock rebuild, before you spend a lot of money on repairs. If you've screwed a jug, and need a crank, a drop-in shortblock might be cheaper than a patch job. He might allow an extra Snow'n Mud price break. & next time consider to use the BRP Blend oil (if you haven't) & save some future repair money.

lil734goat

Reaction score
That sucks But part of your starter problem is that the shaft is wore out I went thru the same crap with the starter Take it in to a starter rebuild place It cost me 100.00 americn to get it done And no problems sense The stiffer spring trick only works for so long Good luck with the motor

Top Bottom