Electric start

raap58

Reaction score
looking for anybody and everybodys advice

Is electric start in a sled a nice feature to have? easy start, but additional weight

Looking at getting a sled and one potential has this option

Wait for pros to get cheaper or upgrade to a newer RMK/Dragon/ IQR mountain mod

will accept any and all opinions

Newbie20

Reaction score
I am a new sled owner and bought a used sled with electric start and I love it. Bought it because my young kids would have issues starting the sled. Nice feature as far as I am concerned.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any of the "injected" sleds really don't need it. They start with 1 or 2 pulls almost always no matter how long they've been upside down or tipped on their side. Also if you may be passing it down to kids or smaller ladies, they will appreciate being able to start it themselves.

raap58

Reaction score
I am a college student with no wife or kids so its just a 19 year old 185 pound kid

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL that makes a difference too! Its a little different for us "old" guys. if its the same price, i'd take the estart, at very least you can pull it off and sell it.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I see what you mean I got electric start on my sled but that's cause you couldn't start it with out it

Luvinit

Reaction score
Like was said above, on a carbed sled if you flood it or roll it e-start is priceless, on a fuel injected sled not so much. That being said, I have 3 injected sleds with starters on all three, once you have one you,re hooked for life.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was riding a RMK 600 with electric start. My daughter is on that now. I now have a 800 with out electric start. I wish I had it. It's quite a bit harder to pull over than the 600.
As far as adding weight. Wouldn't worry about it. I feel its worth the trade off. Now keep in mind you have a battery to take care of out of season...... That is about the only downfall I can think of...

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
just like having reverse for the first time, I would never be without electric start, sometimes rolling my XP to get unstuck is faster than digging and the flooded motor is a non issue now, BRP has a special discount program that you can register for on 2007 and older sleds which makes buying a starter to install a lot cheaper.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the estart, its a wise decison. Do you really want to pull a cord after you just spent 30 mins digging and rolling yourself out of a stuck. Totally worth the extra weight. Plus you can get light weight batteries to help reduce by 10 pounds or so.

I would say on an average mountain day i start my sled about 30+ times....between breaks, stucks and major fails. Thats 30 pulls even with the amazing etec. Save your energy, it better spent playing then pulling.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any engine other then the etec, I would want an electric start.
Why is the etec better somehow? E start is a waste of time, money, and weight, my cats start 2nd pull in the morning and 1 after that all day, for the gf or my boy I'd do it as they'd get worn out easier, otherwise man up, if u can't pull the cord without it winding you after a single pull you should probably get your fat, lazy azz into the gym preseason so you don't have that problem, I'm sure throwing the extra 50lbs around all day is more draining than pulling the machine over

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had it on my sled last year. I opted not to have it on this year's sled.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got it on my pro, spent a few rides clutch starting an older 670. For some reason, we couldn't keep a pull start in it.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never had e start on my M series cats. Cats are easy to start. I did, however, find the New Polaris Pro a harder start than the cat. I went the entire year without E start. It sucked sometimes, like trying to pull start it after a whoopsie on the hill, having my sled pointing down hill and trying to pull it over. I've rode both e start and non e start pros.. you totally do not feel one ioda of a difference... My boss ordered me e start for this years sled. :)

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Electric start is definitely going to be on my next sled. After digging my brothers sled and watch him push the button to start looks nice. Sometimes you find yourself on a side hill and reaching for the pull cord just sucks. My sled starts with one or two pulls but pushing a button appeals to me.

Top Bottom