Electric Start weigtht!!!!!!!!

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So i checked everywhere to see what poalris claims for the electric start system and the only number i have found is 18lbs. I bougtht a Pro this summer and it came with e-start. Im not a fan of them so i decided to take it off. I put all the brackets, bolts, wire etc. in a box and weighed them. Came just under 28 lbs, and i still need to take off the ring gear on the primary. So i think it will come in at 30 lbs with the steel ring gear!!! 12lbs out from there claimed weigth penalty......
Electric start.jpg

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should post some pics my version of the Polaris E-start system. It ain't anywhere near 30 lbs... :)

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before you take your ring gear off do some research and make sure your reverse will work without it. I heard for skidoos the reverse wont work with it taken off it needs that weight to start it back up.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before you take your ring gear off do some research and make sure your reverse will work without it. I heard for skidoos the reverse wont work with it taken off it needs that weight to start it back up.

Not true for Doo. Haven't ran the ring gear on a 2008 summit or my 2010 either.
Never have had any problems.

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its crank enertia and spark timing that create doos rer system, nothing to do with that ring gear

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that it didn't work?!? My bad !

Sent while sitting on the toilet when I should be working!

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, i took off the ring gear and i forgot a bracket that held the battery down on the counter. Everything weighed 31 lbs!!!

Woollybob

Reaction score
I did the same thing to mine, but didn't weigh everything - thanks for the info. Beats spending a few hundred bucks to save a few pounds with a can!

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. I didn't think it would weight that much, knew it was quite a bit though. I have e-start on mine but I switched to a Lithium (EarthX) battery last year. Stock batt was 15#s and replacement was 2.6 #s. Was hoping the whole setup would be under 10 by now but guess I'm still sitting around 18. I was going to hacksaw some of the extra material out of the steel battery bracket still but how far does a guy really need to go? Oh well I ain't given it up now, was going to pull it off when I bought the sled last year too but now I love an easy button no matter how the sled is sitting. I ain't old just lazy I guess. Haha.

jrcactus

Reaction score
I'm 30 lbs lighter then the next smallest guy in the group we ride with so as far as I am concerned it's even.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was pretty surprised on mine as well, I pulled out the brackets, cables and battery as I'm relocating for a turbo, lith ion and alum box to hold should make it reasonable.

Top Bottom