elan bogging

jimxp

Reaction score
i got an old elan that runs great on hard pack, then bogs down in powder and almost stops... it this just weak engine, or gears and cluthing?

WILDMIKE

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
250 single, 250 twin, or the 294 twin?

Just venturing a guess that you have the ultra common 250 single...that being said, they usually chug along pretty decent in the deep stuff. Not fast, but not really boggy. I have a 76 Elan 250 single that's been the boggy pain in the butt wonder for years, but I just cured it. I have been fighting with it's temperamental Tillitson "HR" carb. Boggy and just all around poor running.

There are 3 cures that I know of, the first two are fairly simple.
1 - upgrade to a Tillitson HR carb off of a later model Elan Deluxe with the 250 twin. This carb should have a fixed high speed jet, not a adjustable screw type high speed jet. And just to be on the safe side, toss a new carb kit at it and you should be cruising away great!

2 - The Mikuni upgrade. Use a Mikuni or Kehin carb off a newer small sled, or perhaps off an motorcycle. This works great of you want consistent reliability and performance. Trick is in getting it properly jetted.

3 - Engine swap time. Swap in a 340, 377, 399, 440, 640, etc. Takes a bit of work, but you shouldn't ever have a problem with boggy poor performance!

I did the Tillitson HR off a 250 twin to my ol 250 single and took it out for a rip night before last and was very impressed! I actually got stuck due to spinning out! Top end improved huge!

My :twocents:

Hope it may be helpful!

WILDMIKE

Reaction score
ya true, but there fun haha....:beer::beer:

They are fun little sleds alright!

I'm doing a engine swap in my Elan Deluxe 250 twin. It's engine was siezed when I picked it up, so I figured, hey why not go a little crazy! Let's build it like Tim Allen would do...More Power!!!:Snowmobile1:
That being said, just trying to figure if I should use a 399, or 440 Rotax, or a 500 Suzuki Spirit engine I have in my sled spare parts collection.....

Top Bottom