Economy/Recession

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But the Libs and NDPees know what happens when you extend gov't benefits....you get more lefty VOTERS.
And just so I'm clear...this is NOT a shot at my fellow oil patch workers who are among the unfortunate 12,000 that got cut in AB in the last year. I KNOW these guys just want to get out and work. Most of us/you have paid in for years and EARNED the right to EI benefits....and extending them in length to at least match what a seasonal fisherman gets in the East is fair. Personally, this system needs to be re-vamped. Benefits should be based on how long you've been employed, not where you live. EI: you worked 3 months (fishing)? You get 3 weeks EI benefits. You worked 15 years? You get 3.5 years benefits.

My lucky wife had NEVER collected EI in her life...at least 25 years of work experience. She ran out the AB maximum before finding a job. I think it's BS. (on the plus side, she's working again now)

Last edited:

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And just so I'm clear...this is NOT a shot at my fellow oil patch workers who are among the unfortunate 12,000 that got cut in AB in the last year. I KNOW these guys just want to get out and work. Most of us/you have paid in for years and EARNED the right to EI benefits....and extending them in length to at least match what a seasonal fisherman gets in the East is fair. Personally, this system needs to be re-vamped. Benefits should be based on how long you've been employed, not where you live. EI: you worked 3 months (fishing)? You get 3 weeks EI benefits. You worked 15 years? You get 3.5 years benefits.

My lucky wife had NEVER collected EI in her life...at least 25 years of work experience. She ran out the AB maximum before finding a job. I think it's BS. (on the plus side, she's working again now)
If you're lucky enough to qualify for benifits that is.

Many, including myself were declined benifits. Paid into the for 27 years, never needed them and EI disqualified me.
Go figure.
Must have needed my 27 years of contributions for new Canadians.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Ol' Sarge

Reaction score
We should all know by now that the rules are stacked against the west. You can dump 8 billion liters of raw sewage into the St. Lawrence if you want. Somehow oil in a pipeline is now going to be evaluated for it's effect on the climate, but oil arriving by tanker in an eastern port….meh. Here's another example of a different set of rules:
McInnis Cement plant in Gaspé proceeds without environmental hearing - Business - CBC News
Note who the major investors are.
94% of Alberta's trade goes south, we sell virtually nothing to Quebec.
If getting $74 billion from us since 2007 isn't enough they must be laughing their a$$es off knowing how much we buy from them.
It's never going to change until we smarten up and send them some kind of message.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
My daughter is seasonal as a heavy eqpmt operator, and laid off in december, and will be back at it in april(ish).... She get's 55% of her average wage from the time she was laid off, actually has a full year ei if she wants..... Did take her 1 full month to get a response, but they did backpay from date of her release.....

Government said they are going to extend the coverage time for ei and make the qualifiying and response time quicker for western canada.... We'll see

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We should all know by now that the rules are stacked against the west. You can dump 8 billion liters of raw sewage into the St. Lawrence if you want. Somehow oil in a pipeline is now going to be evaluated for it's effect on the climate, but oil arriving by tanker in an eastern port….meh. Here's another example of a different set of rules:
McInnis Cement plant in Gaspé proceeds without environmental hearing - Business - CBC News
Note who the major investors are.
94% of Alberta's trade goes south, we sell virtually nothing to Quebec.
If getting $74 billion from us since 2007 isn't enough they must be laughing their a$$es off knowing how much we buy from them.
It's never going to change until we smarten up and send them some kind of message.

Our own Sovereign Province Would be a good start. If Chitbec can collect there own Fed tax/Prov Tax then I think we as Albertans should be able to do the same and we will look after our own. We will send a portion of the fed tax we collect to the east and that will be it, keep our Transfer $ also and decide as a province who gets helped out and decide how much they will get. We as Albertans really have to start standing up and quit sitting idly by and saying oh well I am to busy to care, because this BS is only gonna get worse for us westerners gotta start giving a chit or we are screwed. So if you see petitions around take the 2 mins and sign them please and show you care for Alberta and western Canada that has helped the East for so long that I am sick of it. Of course there are the few that like to be led to slaughter those are called Sheeple. I refuse to be led thank you!!

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Canada has a national debt, who do they owe the money to? Thats why theres no pipelines being approved in my eyes. Second largest land mass and 4th highest oil reserves in theb world and up to our asses in debt,I shake my head. These retards couldnt run a sharp stick up a dead dogs azz.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Canada has a national debt, who do they owe the money to? Thats why theres no pipelines being approved in my eyes. Second largest land mass and 4th highest oil reserves in theb world and up to our asses in debt,I shake my head. These retards couldnt run a sharp stick up a dead dogs azz.
Running a deficit budget is a sign of a strong economy....words spoken by the drama teacher ski bum PM.

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
railway is seeing a slight movement in traffic. Some employees are getting called back. More traffic from west, wood due to canadian dollar going to States. Seem to be moving more tank cars and barrel has gone up. Lots of autos going east. Container traffic has improved as well in both directions. We now have 2 extra trains in both directions, so...slightly getting better.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the budget will balance itself......... Wtf is that. Wish my bank count would balance itself too

He says that because his mommy puts money in his bank account out of his trust fund, and he's to stupid to realize it. So to him it's does balance it's self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the budget will balance itself......... Wtf is that. Wish my bank count would balance itself too

He says that because his mommy puts money in his bank account out of his trust fund, and he's to stupid to realize it. So to him it's does balance it's self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really dont understand how the east is allowed to import anything if the product is available internally
maybe food items when not in season. But i dont think oil has a expiry date. Such madness has to stop
alberta has to stop sending cash and tell the east the subsidies are oil and ng. Come and get it

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really dont understand how the east is allowed to import anything if the product is available internally
maybe food items when not in season. But i dont think oil has a expiry date. Such madness has to stop
alberta has to stop sending cash and tell the east the subsidies are oil and ng. Come and get it

And that,s where good government in Alberta elected by the people for the people come,s into play. Its time us westerners Stand Up elect the proper officials that work for the people and province and Tell the East to go pound salt!

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if AB had a good government for decades and kept getting elected (aside from the recent NDP) AB should have been in much better condition to weather the storm. The situation cannot be pointed at just one single party. They ALL screwed up royally with your/our money. I read an article recently and basically it said Canada has put itself in an embarrassing situation on both government levels for decades. Wish I could find it. Was an interesting read and to the point.

And that,s where good government in Alberta elected by the people for the people come,s into play. Its time us westerners Stand Up elect the proper officials that work for the people and province and Tell the East to go pound salt!

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Government said they are going to extend the coverage time for ei and make the qualifiying and response time quicker for western canada.... We'll see

That's all great unless you are self employed and haven't worked since last March and don't expect to get work for another....who knows. Self employed = no EI :(

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if AB had a good government for decades and kept getting elected (aside from the recent NDP) AB should have been in much better condition to weather the storm. The situation cannot be pointed at just one single party. They ALL screwed up royally with your/our money. I read an article recently and basically it said Canada has put itself in an embarrassing situation on both government levels for decades. Wish I could find it. Was an interesting read and to the point.

And that's where we as Albertans have to Stand Up and quit this **** from happening again/again. Get the electors to actually read platforms and elect officials that are going to work for the people/province other than trying to fill there coffers and pockets and give all there so called cronie buddys jobs paid for with the taxpayers dime enough is enough.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

In theory it would be wonderful, but put the shoe on the other foot, in your world if you wanted to by an ATV it would be a Can Am or nothing else, after all its the only ATV manufactured in Canada. We live in a free country, by limiting what a consumer can purchase you do nothing but drive up prices.

Top Bottom