Easy 3 hp gain with boyesen reeds

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy 3 hp gain with just boyesen reeds over stock reeds tested at dynotech.. And a broad hp over most of rpm

know from talking with split second, he mentioned also nice modest gains with a modified y pipe as well, wonder if reeds and y could make a noticeable gain:D over stock

you would think that doo would close the gap on these easy gains in simple parts, but they never doo

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically he cleans up the inside welds etc and removes the indentations that BRP puts in the y pipe for ease of removal of the mounting screws.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the y pipes even on the older ho motors where not good inside, not smooth at all....

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ported my own y pipe. Not that hard. I heated it up and beat out the dents and smoothed everything out with a die grinder.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Easy 3 hp gain with just boyesen reeds over stock reeds tested at dynotech.. And a broad hp over most of rpm

know from talking with split second, he mentioned also nice modest gains with a modified y pipe as well, wonder if reeds and y could make a noticeable gain:D over stock

you would think that doo would close the gap on these easy gains in simple parts, but they never doo
If Boyseen Reeds will give a stock motor 3 hp,I'm in!!!

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran boysen rc2's and now have vf3's and the vf3's are stayin in there. Felt way better from idle to wide open. Jmo

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock reeds and V3 are basically the same design.

i know guys have dynoed them and gained nothing on the top end, they did pickup some in the midrange

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeh these small hp gains are a joke IMO unless your doing a lot of mods ?
3 hp if it makes that on a 145 - 160 hp? motor is not going to be noticed. IMO
Waste of $$$

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always taken a die grinder to the inside of y pipes to clean up the boogers....probably a waste of time but if it's off I take a few minutes to do this. Low and behold, the y pipes on the 15's I've had apart have fresh die grinder marks, already cleaned up nicely from Doo...and the flange holes actually lined up with the tubing! Thank you !

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alot of aftermarket performance suppliers offer reeds , y-pipe and pipe combination for 10 plus hp gain which I could see obtainable! would u notice 10 hp ! I think so ! But like 572 said dont think you would notice 3 hp ! Just out of curiosity - if a stock sled had a stock y-pipe and you compared it to a modded stock pipe would there be a difference on head to head !???

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well for the time it would take to replace reeds and a ypipe maybe two hrs, I would think if you could get a easy five hp, that's huge over your stock buddy's sled.. For less than five Hun..

but it then I would never have left motor untouched and would of had Ralph at least get another 18 hp threw porting for a easy twenty hp gain total...lol

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 163 xm's. one stock. One with reeds. Pipe. Team. Belt drive. Thermostat. On a flat out high mark there's really no difference between them. In the trees my modded one is way more fun. Zippy and the power is moved around which helps for instant braps. Spending a day on my stocker isn't as fun but if I could have a choice to get my 4k back and have 2 stock sleds I would keep the mods. The gains in overall performance is worth it. But I wouldn't say it gains noticable power on long pulls but In short climbs and tight spaces it shines.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I somewhat agree Drew.
Belt drive, IMO is a great noticeable bang for your buck improvement.

I heard C3 has been talking with BRP and I wouldn't be surprized to see them in the near future doos..

But that's just specualtion.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I am saying Fred.
If you do everything it adds up but to spend $ on just reeds and y pipe not worth it.
Like winter said though if it's free absolutely .
Some good clutching and drive line improvements hell yes .

Top Bottom