E-Tec Big Bore

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was on a website this summer that had an E-Tec big Bore kit. I just can't remember the name. It was "something racing"?? Anyway they said you would have to send in your ECM for a reflash. I would like to go back and look at it again because the BRP Race Dept. told Dary Baker that a reflash is not available??

The only other one i can come up with is Terra-Alps and I don't think it was theur site. Anybody know or am I just going crazy?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From all that I can see, any motor mods to the Etec are negligible as the ECM will detune any increased HP gains. Not that it detects hp, but with all the other sensors the etec has, and new mapping restrictions it will only allow the motor to run within pre-defined parameters. Once the ECM detects any acceleration of the crank that is not within the parameters it will detune the motor back to spec. Same goes for anything else the ECM is monitoring. Seems like a waste to me to do anything to this motor outside of a turbo.

BRP has the ECM on lock down and doesn't allow any alterations to be had, hence why secondary fuel controlers are required for turbo's. So unless someone has the secret decoder ring to flash the ECM, mods like an overbore are short lived gains.

So what Daryl was told sounds legitimate.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you, that is the one. Also it does not say a ECM reflash only a modification??

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I know this might sound stupid....But... Why do you need a big bore kit on a etec.... wont that screw with there warranty? What do you think you will really gain in HP or performance? Just asking as I get into enough trouble with my 800R

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I know this might sound stupid....But... Why do you need a big bore kit on a etec.... wont that screw with there warranty? What do you think you will really gain in HP or performance? Just asking as I get into enough trouble with my 800R

A guy can never have enough horsepower.

Sent from my Desire HD

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

regardless if on an etec or not, a big bore (which is really just an over bore as there is no true big bore for consumers) has performance gains, plain and simple. The ability to move more air with additional fuel produces more power and more importantly, more torque. The gains could be an additional 20hp. While on a piece of paper that doesn't mean much, at elevation means alot.

People doing this work at not concerned with warrantys. There is much speculation BRP will release a larger bore etec (900+) in the near future. If thats the case, then expect people to want to overbore their 900 to 980! Is it coming? Doubt it, but if it does, I'll wait a year before trying it.

I am very interested to see a modded etec actually work. Not many people are having much luck. Building an etec motor, putting it on a dyno will show gains, but how will the ecm react? Does it infact "detune", really as long as you don't go over max rpm it should work.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cause people out there want it......

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
regardless if on an etec or not, a big bore (which is really just an over bore as there is no true big bore for consumers) has performance gains, plain and simple. The ability to move more air with additional fuel produces more power and more importantly, more torque. The gains could be an additional 20hp. While on a piece of paper that doesn't mean much, at elevation means alot.

People doing this work at not concerned with warrantys. There is much speculation BRP will release a larger bore etec (900+) in the near future. If thats the case, then expect people to want to overbore their 900 to 980! Is it coming? Doubt it, but if it does, I'll wait a year before trying it.

I am very interested to see a modded etec actually work. Not many people are having much luck. Building an etec motor, putting it on a dyno will show gains, but how will the ecm react? Does it infact "detune", really as long as you don't go over max rpm it should work.

Will has a computer expert buddy that writes programs for a living trying to decipher the binary code on the ecu. He thinks he can trick the ecu into thinking it is getting the info he wants it to have. They need dyno time to see where they are at first. Its over my head but he is up for the challenge.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will has a computer expert buddy that writes programs for a living trying to decipher the binary code on the ecu. He thinks he can trick the ecu into thinking it is getting the info he wants it to have. They need dyno time to see where they are at first. Its over my head but he is up for the challenge.

I wish I knew half the stuff will knows.

Sent from my Desire HD

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

come out for a ride and i will show you the next level hahaha :beer:

Top Bottom