Dynotech Test of 850

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Friend of mine was down at Carl Kusters camp and he said that he got to ride the new 850. He said 2 weren't running right, the power valves were not working and Carl had to zip tie a few things to keep them running. He said that the other ones worked fine and pulled pretty hard! Hopefully this motor isn't a fail like the RT 1000!
You have to understand the pressure Carl is under everyday keeping sleds running that have been crashed, needing parts for proto's that are not available and doing the sled's regular maintenance with dealer groups piling in everyday, 7 days a week looking for their Koombaya experience. When we rode in mid March the orange 165 already had 3000+ kms on it already. He does very well for what he has to work with.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Very nice and looks impressive.
This does look like a "Deja Vu", from 2005 when BRP introduced the RT with huge claim's and performance shops saying the same thing's as being claimed here.
The crank was monstrous on it yet it was one of its Hercules heel LOL.
The 2005 1000 sold out in just about every BRP dealer in the west as dudes were jumping on them like flies on poop and by the end of 2006 most wanted them gone and went back to the old 8s.
Ya i know to well about BRP claim's, i was one of them sucker's. We will see after a season or two how substantial they really are. Then you never know, a Doo could be back in my stable.
I don't believe in condemning a manufacturer for wrongs of the past. If we did that then there would be a long list.

The fact that Doo is letting consumers ride a prototype engine months before the release of final production models tells me they are confident in the package.
Did Polaris have proto demos of the new HO 800? Where are the Sidewinder demos?
I had a RT 1000 and it actually ran good most of the time and never failed. I have been on the new G4 and it ran spot on all day. I was very impressed that it worked as good as it did given the fact that these sleds are used for durability testing which is tough riding compared to what most consumers put them through.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't, even though i'm due i will watch and see where this goes first. Going to go check out the Sidewinder next Thursday.
One thing I found out mike, Carl has been riding a 850 prototype for 3 years secretly, I'm pretty sure it's tested and tuned lol

Having said that I'm not a first year new product kind if guy so we will see what's up with them

Every single person I know that has rode one, that rides every brand, had said it's just awsome to ride, best of all world's

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I too had a 1000rt.... actually loved it. only failure was in the first year, crankshaft broke. they took a new '07 engine(from a new sled) and put in my '06. they sent the whole engine into brp for dissection, and the brp rep from down east called me to see what had happened, as they never had a failure like that before. Never let me down, and I towed more than my share of sleds off the hill over the years. Had it from '06 to '14, and doo miss the power of that thing. It was heavy, mind you, and caused for sore shoulders and back by the end of a long days ride. Cant wait to try the 850 :)

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Friend of mine was down at Carl Kusters camp and he said that he got to ride the new 850. He said 2 weren't running right, the power valves were not working and Carl had to zip tie a few things to keep them running. He said that the other ones worked fine and pulled pretty hard! Hopefully this motor isn't a fail like the RT 1000!

Yep I heard the same from guys that were there as well.
Do is not known for first year engine reliability, the 1000, the 800r, and even the etec in 2011 had issues. The 2012 etec was a huge upgrade over the 2011 due to engine and mapping changes.

Last edited:

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing I found out mike, Carl has been riding a 850 prototype for 3 years secretly, I'm pretty sure it's tested and tuned lol

Having said that I'm not a first year new product kind if guy so we will see what's up with them

Every single person I know that has rode one, that rides every brand, had said it's just awsome to ride, best of all world's

the 850 fits in the xm chassis?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too had a 1000rt.... actually loved it. only failure was in the first year, crankshaft broke. they took a new '07 engine(from a new sled) and put in my '06. they sent the whole engine into brp for dissection, and the brp rep from down east called me to see what had happened, as they never had a failure like that before. Never let me down, and I towed more than my share of sleds off the hill over the years. Had it from '06 to '14, and doo miss the power of that thing. It was heavy, mind you, and caused for sore shoulders and back by the end of a long days ride. Cant wait to try the 850 :)

Well if you pick up the 800 I'll let you take the 850 for a rip. lol
Hoping there are not to many first year gremlins. Been run for a few years by a guy that has the ability to punish mechanical equipment.
My cousin's RT ran fine.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When new product is being tested that is different looking than the status quo like the Gen 2 and Gen 4 it is usually tested in an area that may not see any traffic even on a weekend. They usually go out later in the morning or around noon to miss the parking lot hero's and then ride cross country as opposed to down the trail system. Riders like Carl will disappear in an area and never be seen all day if he doesn't want to be found.:spy:

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always heard "they are four or five years ahead of what they're showing you" but didn't know it could be a full chassis and engine ahead for that many years.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always heard "they are four or five years ahead of what they're showing you" but didn't know it could be a full chassis and engine ahead for that many years.
I was a dealer rep on the XP platform. The first time I rode it in Colorado it looked like a 300 Freestyle but had a 800r engine in it. Those old mules weren't pretty but they fooled alot of people. The second year I saw it the hood was chopped up and starting to look like the XP. The Freestyle sled was still there and had over 10,000 miles on it in a year and a half. They fooled alot of peeps for a long time. Lol.

Last edited:

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too bad Chris Brown isn't on a Yamaha anymore. I guess he must have got tired of riding the trails.....

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
He hated the Yamaha and made that clear when he moved to polaris
I hope when American Snowmobiler dynoed the new Yammy they didn't use the same model of dyno that DynoTech used on the 2011 Rotax Etec 800? Could be some crow to be eaten on here? HaHa.:sadbanana:

70 hp behind what yamaha that doesn't even have a 2 stroke ? Until they do their stuck on the trail and can't go where the fun is

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not hard to revise and change the mapping, prototypes do not need to meet emissions and every Powersports and auto manuf changes and revises the mapping to improve drivability or reliability.

Look at the 2012 to 2016 etec. Do you think that's the exact same mapping for every year? Nope. I was told that the 2016 will have more power but doo claimed only 155 approx??
How about your 2016? Was their a spot on The multifunction that showed what mapping was in the ECM like the 16 prototype I rode?
It was funny the the 163 and the 174 prototype showed different mapping and the 174 worked way better.

I also know more but I'm not sharing on here.
With a NA engine you can only make so much extra power with a tune. your pretty limited , it's like adding just a programmer to a 2 stoke little to nothing noticed when you actually ride it. you can pull a little timing to make it safe if it was close to detonation but if yu pull to much timing you add head and kill all the power. you can change injector PW a bit to be closer to stoic but yiu can only add/subtract so much from NA it's not like tuning a turbo car where you can run pig rich and poor boy is to it and make 500 hp with no etra displacement

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He was singing a different tune when he left but whatever.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theirs a reason almost no one rides a 4 stoke in the mountains and alot of the guys that actually do eather suck or just want to climb nothing technical

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When new product is being tested that is different looking than the status quo like the Gen 2 and Gen 4 it is usually tested in an area that may not see any traffic even on a weekend. They usually go out later in the morning or around noon to miss the parking lot hero's and then ride cross country as opposed to down the trail system. Riders like Carl will disappear in an area and never be seen all day if he doesn't want to be found.:spy:
Exactly, all nonchalant and such

Top Bottom