Dynotech Test of 850

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too bad Chris Brown isn't on a Yamaha anymore. I guess he must have got tired of riding the trails.....

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Proto or not, its on the low side anyhow IMO at 204. Some will be making sure she put's out a solid 250.....so they can ride them old trails and not the fun stuff.

I agree.....very safe at 200hp, but they said 185 and thats what it will make or very close to it....emissions testing isn't done on prototypes, production units are tested so I suspect the tune is richer afr and more timing, production will run leaner to make the NOx numbers drop as well as some funky timing.

ktmsx350f has clearly never ridden a 4smoke at 18psi

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in all reality 1.5psi and 0.5 degrees of timing......boom 20hp

7hp for every 1psi is most common.
135hp stock 1049 with 8psi boost will produce 190hp.
At 16psi boost will produce 245hp.
Yamaha is probably using a low boost set up and a small turbo, probably running no more then 10psi, most likely less.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree.....very safe at 200hp, but they said 185 and thats what it will make or very close to it....emissions testing isn't done on prototypes, production units are tested so I suspect the tune is richer afr and more timing, production will run leaner to make the NOx numbers drop as well as some funky timing.

Living here next door to Sicamous and Revelstoke and stuck to trail's every time i go sledding is depressing.....sure wish i could ride up there with those other dudes. I think i going to find myself a bridge to jump off

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe the documentation said around 180-185 and the dyno pulled 204 so anywhere in that range is what I would expect but I'm sure with some tuning and a few more pounds 225 would be easily attainable.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why the fawk are we talking about a yamaha that NO one cares about except the 3 people in this thread. It's an aweful all around mountain sled no matter how many hp it has. Until they come out with a 2 stroke lighter machine we can stop talking about them. Let's stay on topic we are talking about light powerful mountain snowmobiles

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score

Because Yamaha has complete control of engine management, it is reasonable to think the Sidewinder uses a preset over boost limit based on time or intake air temps.
This is very common in the automotive world, in fact ford uses over boost with its ST cars and then limits boost back 3 psi after approx 10 seconds.
The Sidewinder can trim boost, ignition timing, and fuel based on altitude, knock, water temp, and intake air temp. So based on this, the hp number will move around, but likely won't drop below 180 unless fuel quality is poor.

There will be aftermarket selling tunes for the Viper, but realistically there will be little gain at elevation due to the fact the turbo is small and will be pushed to approx 80-90 % of its efficiency at 8-10000 ft. After factory levels of boost pressure it will likely turn in to a hot air pump. The intercooler placement will also be tricky for deep pow guys. It is a cool package and will have a niche in the market. It will be a awesome trail sled.

Power to weight is the most useless number used in the mountain segment and was dreamt up to sell sleds. It only applies in drag racing and even then on a snowmobile it only matters if the sled is clutched perfectly.

The good news for all of us is that the manufacturers are improving the product even though it is a small piece of their total sales.

The Doo 850 with boost is going to be a beast...this I know.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because Yamaha has complete control of engine management, it is reasonable to think the Sidewinder uses a preset over boost limit based on time or intake air temps.
This is very common in the automotive world, in fact ford uses over boost with its ST cars and then limits boost back 3 psi after approx 10 seconds.
The Sidewinder can trim boost, ignition timing, and fuel based on altitude, knock, water temp, and intake air temp. So based on this, the hp number will move around, but likely won't drop below 180 unless fuel quality is poor.

There will be aftermarket selling tunes for the Viper, but realistically there will be little gain at elevation due to the fact the turbo is small and will be pushed to approx 80-90 % of its efficiency at 8-10000 ft. After factory levels of boost pressure it will likely turn in to a hot air pump. The intercooler placement will also be tricky for deep pow guys. It is a cool package and will have a niche in the market. It will be a awesome trail sled.

Power to weight is the most useless number used in the mountain segment and was dreamt up to sell sleds. It only applies in drag racing and even then on a snowmobile it only matters if the sled is clutched perfectly.

The good news for all of us is that the manufacturers are improving the product even though it is a small piece of their total sales.

The Doo 850 with boost is going to be a beast...this I know.

the 850 was built with forced induction in mind....what kind of bearings are on the big end of the rod if you know

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
the 850 was built with forced induction in mind....what kind of bearings are on the big end of the rod if you know
The main bearings are needle bearings and have oil journals directly to the bearing. They can be separated like a four stroke engine and are very strong looking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 241
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 231

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's funny how people with no knoledge of the industry, obviously no mechinical knoledge and don't even know how a dyno works and make up **** like sleds have different tunes when their sold just make up what ever they want so they can be brand loyal or what ever makes them feel good

If that's what you think you know, than your wrong.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No that's not what I think read back in the trend so much made up ****

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the tune? Your deffinetly wrong lol

It's not hard to revise and change the mapping, prototypes do not need to meet emissions and every Powersports and auto manuf changes and revises the mapping to improve drivability or reliability.

Look at the 2012 to 2016 etec. Do you think that's the exact same mapping for every year? Nope. I was told that the 2016 will have more power but doo claimed only 155 approx??
How about your 2016? Was their a spot on The multifunction that showed what mapping was in the ECM like the 16 prototype I rode?
It was funny the the 163 and the 174 prototype showed different mapping and the 174 worked way better.

I also know more but I'm not sharing on here.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not hard to revise and change the mapping, prototypes do not need to meet emissions and every Powersports and auto manuf changes and revises the mapping to improve drivability or reliability.

Look at the 2012 to 2016 etec. Do you think that's the exact same mapping for every year? Nope. I was told that the 2016 will have more power but doo claimed only 155 approx??
How about your 2016? Was their a spot on The multifunction that showed what mapping was in the ECM like the 16 prototype I rode?
It was funny the the 163 and the 174 prototype showed different mapping and the 174 worked way better.

I also know more but I'm not sharing on here.

lol ok sure...yes mapping changes. but end of the day the consumer ends up with the best calibration available when their snowcheck arrives. and yes there may be a new calibration the following snowcheck year. but to think there is a magical high HP special map floating around that the consumers dont get is not true. race department has different maps but they would not be practical for a mountain sled application

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol ok sure...yes mapping changes. but end of the day the consumer ends up with the best calibration available when their snowcheck arrives. and yes there may be a new calibration the following snowcheck year. but to think there is a magical high HP special map floating around that the consumers dont get is not true. race department has different maps but they would not be practical for a mountain sled application

Was that you in the Ford with two new Doos passed me goin down Owl tonight? Buddys deck flexes like mad so was tender footin it down.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Living here next door to Sicamous and Revelstoke and stuck to trail's every time i go sledding is depressing.....sure wish i could ride up there with those other dudes. I think i going to find myself a bridge to jump off

So what color and track length did you snowcheck Mike?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The main bearings are needle bearings and have oil journals directly to the bearing. They can be separated like a four stroke engine and are very strong looking.

Very nice and looks impressive.
This does look like a "Deja Vu", from 2005 when BRP introduced the RT with huge claim's and performance shops saying the same thing's as being claimed here.
The crank was monstrous on it yet it was one of its Hercules heel LOL.
The 2005 1000 sold out in just about every BRP dealer in the west as dudes were jumping on them like flies on poop and by the end of 2006 most wanted them gone and went back to the old 8s.
Ya i know to well about BRP claim's, i was one of them sucker's. We will see after a season or two how substantial they really are. Then you never know, a Doo could be back in my stable.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A Friend of mine was down at Carl Kusters camp and he said that he got to ride the new 850. He said 2 weren't running right, the power valves were not working and Carl had to zip tie a few things to keep them running. He said that the other ones worked fine and pulled pretty hard! Hopefully this motor isn't a fail like the RT 1000!

Top Bottom