Duramax tires

Adam31

Reaction score
What are people running on their trucks. Just bought truck and thinking about changing rubber. I know it is tough to get bigger tires on these trucks but what is the biggest I can run. Don't want to lift but would consider level if ride doesn't suffer to much. What are you guys running?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are people running on their trucks. Just bought truck and thinking about changing rubber. I know it is tough to get bigger tires on these trucks but what is the biggest I can run. Don't want to lift but would consider level if ride doesn't suffer to much. What are you guys running?

With the fender mod, I think you could squeeze 305's on. Go visit Farley's Truck and Auto addictions. They do tons of trucks up for the dealerships.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck? Classic body 01-07, 285 75 16 on stock rims is the absolute biggest without at least levelling keys. 07-14 you can squeeze a 295 70 70 or even a 305 if you trim the plastic. 15 and up you can squeeze in a 275 65 20 which is a 34" boot on rims with an 1" more offset than stock. With any year you can just install levelling keys, crank em up and cognito upper a-arms and squeeze damn near whatever you want in there. Good luck.

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run a 285/55/20 on my 15, Toyo AT2 Extreme's. Been really happy with them.

I need the truck to fit into parkades, so no bigger tires/lifts for me.

Adam31

Reaction score
What year is your truck? Classic body 01-07, 285 75 16 on stock rims is the absolute biggest without at least levelling keys. 07-14 you can squeeze a 295 70 70 or even a 305 if you trim the plastic. 15 and up you can squeeze in a 275 65 20 which is a 34" boot on rims with an 1" more offset than stock. With any year you can just install levelling keys, crank em up and cognito upper a-arms and squeeze damn near whatever you want in there. Good luck.

It is new a 2017. 18" wheels.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A tire shop told me the other day that the 2017's have bigger fender well areas then the 15 and 16 HD's
Anyone confirm this.
Can't see it but they should know as they are putting bigger rubber on the 17's.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A tire shop told me the other day that the 2017's have bigger fender well areas then the 15 and 16 HD's
Anyone confirm this.
Can't see it but they should know as they are putting bigger rubber on the 17's.

I don't think so. Looks like the exact same truck. Ron should know. Just got rid of his 16 and got a 17. One thing I have noticed is buddy's gmc gas job sits taller then my Duramax. Seems to me the gmc is a little taller then the Chevy.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. Looks like the exact same truck. Ron should know. Just got rid of his 16 and got a 17. One thing I have noticed is buddy's gmc gas job sits taller then my Duramax. Seems to me the gmc is a little taller then the Chevy.

Yes gas sit higher for sure . I may have to go measure one as can't see it either .

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

I don't know if he got his 17 yet.....

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Stay away from those Cognito control arms. They use a 1/2 ton ball joint. Even upgrading them to a heavy half ball joint, they just can't support the front end weight of a Duramax. I have them and go through an average of one roasted ball joint every 15,000km.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay away from those Cognito control arms. They use a 1/2 ton ball joint. Even upgrading them to a heavy half ball joint, they just can't support the front end weight of a Duramax. I have them and go through an average of one roasted ball joint every 15,000km.

I ran them for about 28000 Kms on 2012 Duramax without any trouble?
Switched to Rancho 4 inch and like it way better . 181000 and still haven't had one problem or changed any components.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran them for about 28000 Kms on 2012 Duramax without any trouble?
Switched to Rancho 4 inch and like it way better . 181000 and still haven't had one problem or changed any components.

Wow, that's amazing. I wonder what the heck the difference is? I've heard of trouble free Cognito installs but it almost seems to be luck of the draw.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2, 100 %

Oh I told ya so deano, have to get them in there lol

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's amazing. I wonder what the heck the difference is? I've heard of trouble free Cognito installs but it almost seems to be luck of the draw.

The ball joint thing I believe to be 100 % true.
With the HD trucks "2012 and present"and leveling kits I was told you really give up ride quality if you don't change upper control arm.
Reason I changed out to a complete kit in mine.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ball joint thing I believe to be 100 % true.
With the HD trucks "2012 and present"and leveling kits I was told you really give up ride quality if you don't change upper control arm.
Reason I changed out to a complete kit in mine.
The reason my truck is staying with the stock suspension. With the exception of rear air bags I installed. When the time is right I will be installing some aggressive mud tires for getting into some of the camping and staging areas we go to.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2010 gmc 2500hd with 4" lift and running 285/75-16 and they slightly rub with wheels turned all the way.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not sure where you're driving but I've had two work trucks with cognito Uppers and I run some of the worst lease roads in Alberta and I've never done balljoints in less than 40k, most lasted closer to 80thou, maybe you're running them at nasty angles with your keys cranked? Also not sure where everyone gets the idea that the 400cu in mostly aluminum duramax motor is so heavy. It's not even 300 lbs heavier than a 6.0l gas, it's not a fricken cummins for christ sakes, 300lbs is less than the weight of the average bumper most guys run, also don't forget that the dmax is actually lighter than the big block gas fired monsters of the not so distant past. That half ton balljoint everyone is scared of is dirt cheap and takes ten minutes to change, no need to swap out the entire control arm and get an alignment like the factory HD crap. Most factory ones only last 60 k anyways, if you're gonna run a Chevy for work you just have to accept it.

Now the anti cognito crap aside, no the '17 wheel wells are not bigger than the 16, bigger than the previous body style yes but this current body style remains the same. On an 18" rim the best you're gonna do stock is a 295/70/18, cooper and nitto have several choices available depending on your driving habits and road conditions.

Last edited:

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the ball joints only last 1 year 20000km on my stock 07 new body style chevy 1500. I grease every 5000km and drive 10km gravel every day to get to work so i believe it, they are crap parts period.. on my many fords i have owned 300000km plus on original ball joints, half tonnes with lifts and 35' rubber. even running super swampers on some of the trucks. gm ball joints are minimum spec.

Top Bottom