Duramax check engine light

Boobage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 07 classic check engine light is on and codes for all 8 glow plugs are coming up. I cant see all 8 going at one time. I got a glow plug controller from a US distributer for 1/4 the cost of a dealer part but still no luck.:confused:
Any ideas? Thanks for all and any input!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, we have an '05 dirtymax in the shop right now, that we're putting all glowplugs into. Another sitting outside that the dealership broke off one of the glowplugs while trying to replace them. We're about a $1000 cheaper to r&r 1 cylinder head and remove the broken glowplug, so customer towed it here :)

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI I learned recently that glow plugs are covered under powertrain warrenty which is 5 year 160,000 as I just had one done on mine. So depending on when you or whoever bought that truck in 07 and you happen to be under 160K its will be free.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just went through a similar situatuion, since its an LBZ you have to get someone to check the glow plug controler. i found out just one of my plugs went. if they are to slow heating up that could be an issue, but if they are heating up fast which was a problem on the 06-07 they could be burning the tips off which might fall into the engine and cause a lot of damage. if you search LBZ glow plug issue there is a lot of info.

since this problem was not a recall item it is not covered by gm if something happens and your out of warranty. it sould be covered under the duramax waranty since its and engine issue which is 5 year or 160000 plus a $150 deductable, the dealerships quietly reprogramed all the trucks when they came into the shop for any type of service

Boobage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fixed. Looks as if the glow plug controller stayed on too long and fried all 8 gp's. Luckily i had ordered a gp controller online and saved 3-400 over dealer cost. i got the gp's from dealer and was ripped off for $70 each. oh well at least its working again. 177K and thats the only issue I've had with my Dmax so i'm not that upset..lol. Oh except the damn tranny lines that are leaking again...ill fix that myself and save a grand.
Thanks for help peeps!

Top Bottom