Dunes north of fort mac

• Thread starter motorsportaddiction
  • Start date
M

motorsportaddiction

Anyone ride in the sand unes north of Fort Macmurry. I hear that they are supposed to be way bigger and endless amount of sand and riding then Brule. Wondering if this is true. Goggle earth does show alot of sand and the do look pretty good by satelite lol.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First area north or Mcmurray (not far from six lakes)is O.K. to ride at but not nearly as big as the ones closer to Ft. Chip. The large area is protected and is closed to riding.:nono:

Zipp

Reaction score
Great area! Although it's a long way up to Richardson Backcountry, 80 miles from the staging area, its well worth it. The dunes are just a small part of it, as snochuk says, most of it is closed to motorsports. To me its all about the fishing, beaches, and camping. Not a place to go for a day trip, as the winter road up can be brutal.

M

motorsportaddiction

Is there alot of good riding and steep big hills or what would you compare it to. I heard that most people just camp right in the dunes because you can only get within 40km with the truck, then its the winter sand roas in.

Zipp

Reaction score
There are primitive camp sites set up, with picknik tables, outhouses, firepits at the lakes around the area. This is where we camp, guess you could camp anywhere though. This area is mostly trails, with some good hills to play on, beaches to pull tubes behind the quad (tons o' fun) all sand. Drive north on HWY 63 until you cant drive anymore, unload quad, bring 200 miles of gas (or more) and supplies and start riding. PS: Tell the wife you wont be home for a while, cause once u are there, you wont want to leave. Send a message if you would like a map, as I am unable to post it.

Zipp

Reaction score
Map attachment seems to have worked this time.

Attachments

• Richardson Backcountry Map.jpg
    Richardson Backcountry Map.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 336
Top Bottom