Dully to super single

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? Run a single rear wheel instead of the Dulles for better winter traction/drivability.
Pros and cons please...thinking of picking up a dully deck truck for work but not sure if I like the dully for winter driving, hearing negative things in snowy conditions and there's lots of hill in Bc.

DooDoo

Reaction score
I have never tried that, but also have never had an issue with my dually in the winter either. If you run good studded winter tires you won't have a problem. I use the studded Nokia Hakkapeliitta LT2's if that helps at all.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will still have offset tracks taking 2 wheels off,and that's what effects duallys messy tracking.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buggy.png
We run two F550's as wildfire trucks. They were originally duallys but were converted over to super singles. We had quite the work around as I want to say they just spun the inside rears around and ran them on the outside. They do wander at higher speeds, but rarely do they go over 70km/h

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a dually to and don't have an issue with traction. I run 285 75 r17 toyo at tires with 2" dually spacer. Was surprised how well it holds the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sold my 3rd dually. Went back to long box single wheel. Driven it only 4000 km and I regret it already. With my dually I always do 110 to Revy no matter the road conditions. With brand new studded winters of course. Even if they look good I buy new ones every year. The truck never sways which keeps you in better control. I've towed my 28' enclosed and few times this fall on dry roads. I can tell already I will be slowing down in slush,blowing snow and windy days. I will definitely be getting another dually.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a dually to and don't have an issue with traction. I run 285 75 r17 toyo at tires with 2" dually spacer. Was surprised how well it holds the road

Ok what the two inch spacer do?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ol timer that lives down the road does it every winter on his 24valve, no wheel off sets or anything just bolts single rims on and away he goes. Only downfall is it's pretty fugly

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok what the two inch spacer do?

Gives room between the two duals so you can run bigger wider tires. Lots of guys don't like them, but if your notloading the truck to the max pay load then they are fine. Puts a nice stance on a dually

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have them on my rig to But they are not aluminum. They are steel custom made from the states. They are hub centric and concentric. 5 yrs now and haven't broke a stud or had a loose wheel.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a customer locally that bought a 2004 King Ranch dually with 22.5's on it. Ever since he has owned it, he has wanted super singles on the rear and not the standard dual 22.5's like what was on it. I personally didn't like the idea, but its not my truck. Upon many phone calls and lots of research, we found that the smallest super single tire available was 40" tall. Anyone that knows out trucks knows that a BIG honkin' tire. After the customer kept on pushing for a super single in the rear, I had a buddy that does all my semi tire stuff for me, he happened to have a 22.5" x 14" super single available and a super single tire available, so he mounted it up for me and we took it to the shop and did a test fit. The tire and wheel went on but it it on both outside edges of the bottom of the fenders. So after we get it on, we take pictures, get him out to look at it, and he loves it. But in order to get this tire to work its was going to either take pretty invasive fender modification or it was going to take some lift

Attachments

• DSC00363.jpg
    DSC00363.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC00366.jpg
    DSC00366.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 319

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That might be the best looking truck I've ever seen. (I'm not a truck guy).

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's 100% original and love it
We have a customer locally that bought a 2004 King Ranch dually with 22.5's on it. Ever since he has owned it, he has wanted super singles on the rear and not the standard dual 22.5's like what was on it. I personally didn't like the idea, but its not my truck. Upon many phone calls and lots of research, we found that the smallest super single tire available was 40" tall. Anyone that knows out trucks knows that a BIG honkin' tire. After the customer kept on pushing for a super single in the rear, I had a buddy that does all my semi tire stuff for me, he happened to have a 22.5" x 14" super single available and a super single tire available, so he mounted it up for me and we took it to the shop and did a test fit. The tire and wheel went on but it it on both outside edges of the bottom of the fenders. So after we get it on, we take pictures, get him out to look at it, and he loves it. But in order to get this tire to work its was going to either take pretty invasive fender modification or it was going to take some lift

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years ago I lived in the winterburn trailer park. There was a Dodge dually in the park that had one huge mud tire on the back and a normal rim and big mud tire on the front. Looked pretty good.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Is that a 4x4? Front and back tires look different size.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ol timer that lives down the road does it every winter on his 24valve, no wheel off sets or anything just bolts single rims on and away he goes. Only downfall is it's pretty fugly
Lol, I see him cruising around town every winter, makes me laugh when I see his truck.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did that once , waiting for back ordered tire to come. Had a guy pull me over to tell me i lost a tire while we were staring at the lug nuts that where holding the rim on???

Ugly or not my only feed back is, remember you cant haul tow the same weight missing 2 tires! Id run mt only with a set missing too.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know about super single conversion. I have two Duramaxs one is single track one dually. I gough lots on the farm in both of them. If the dually is loaded its as good as the single track but if it's has a light or no load the dually is substantially inferior to the single track. On the other hand hauling or pulling a HEAVY load the dually does handle nicer on the highway.

Top Bottom