driving to sicamous from edmonton?

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always gone Olds to 22X to Cochrane then turn at the bottom of the hill heading west through the reserve before rejoining the TransCanada at Chief Chiniki restaurant. Still will be faster I think.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
22x, there's several lights and lots of traffic on the ring road that'll slow you down.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
friend of mine that lives in Red Deer likes to go west through rocky south at the south Saskatchewan river crossing, so south on 93 then hooks up to #1

HARDCORE

Reaction score
friend of mine that lives in Red Deer likes to go west through rocky south at the south Saskatchewan river crossing, so south on 93 then hooks up to #1

same here, cuts off a half hr of driving, so long as that road is decent. It can be nasty I tells ya, with sparse traffic :)

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same here, cuts off a half hr of driving, so long as that road is decent. It can be nasty I tells ya, with sparse traffic :)

X2. That road can be brutal in the winter. Hit the ditch there last winter at 2:00 am in -25 weather and didn't see another vehichle till 8:00 am.

HARDCORE

Reaction score
I nailed a deer around 11pm there last season coming hm from the Island, ko'd my rad etc., never got help till about 7:30am, no cell service notta in most areas there. Lucky I had a lot of fuel or it would have been a cold nights sleep! lol

HARDCORE

Reaction score
I noticed it taking more time through the res, I'd just head right up the hill to hit the 1 and your on your way :)

mel.h

Reaction score
I noticed it taking more time through the res, I'd just head right up the hill to hit the 1 and your on your way :)

Agree, made many trips through there, stay on 22 to the #1, you will not save 1/2 hr. going through the Reserve. Google map it & switch the route of travel & you will see for yourself.:beer:

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I disagree, depending on the time of day the new Stoney Trail shaves off 1/2hr to BC.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We have always taken the hiway past rocky, until this last trip to revy - luckily never had any breakdowns/accidents, however have pushed through 2 feet of fresh pow on the hiway, and probably added an extra hour to our trip(60 to 80kph).

We took the new ring road....... All i can say is, "way awesome"........ Probably saved about 1/2 to 1 hour against going to cochrane, or through hiway 93, and never had to worry about the weather up through saskatchewan crossing......

Stony trail ring road comes out just before the olympic park...... Traffic was actually fairly thin.....

Last edited:

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have always taken the hiway past rocky, until this last trip to revy - luckily never had any breakdowns/accidents, however have pushed through 2 feet of fresh pow on the hiway, and probably added an extra hour to our trip(60 to 80kph).

We took the new ring road....... All i can say is, "way awesome"........ Probably saved about 1/2 to 1 hour against going to cochrane, or through hiway 93, and never had to worry about the weather up through saskatchewan crossing......

Stony trail ring road comes out just before the olympic park...... Traffic was actually fairly thin.....

After hearing that I really want to give that ring road a go - we have a place in Invermere and travel with the kids - saving 1/2 would be major on the way to the cabin. If I can make it door to door in 5 hours instead of 5 1/2 we will be impressed!:):)

Last edited:

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After hearing that I really want to give that ring road a go - we have a place in Invermere and travel with the kids - saving 1/2 would be major on the way to the cabin. If I can make it door to door in 5 hours instead of 5 1/2 we will be impressed!:):)

i have been driving out to sicamous for 36 yrs now we have always gone through the res. I had heard about the new stony trail but did not know where to get onto it. i feel the need for speed quite frequently...lol my old way i have done it in 8 hrs the stony way sounds like it will get me there even sooner...SWEET!!! BTW we had a great time at MM3

Flange99

Reaction score
There are only 3 sets of lights on Stoney Trail between #2 and #1 highways. Its 4 to 6 lanes all the way with minimal traffic.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A definite 2 thumbs up for the Stoney trail. I shaved 20 mins off my drive from Invermere to Edmonton and hit all 3 lights on Stoney Trail. If the lights were green it would have been even more time saved - love this road.

I was totally sceptical as I usually detour through Olds then turn at Cochrane and cut through reserve. This is much faster and way better road. Won't be going through Olds or Airdrie again now that this is here.

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
I'm in Airdrie, however, 4 or 6 lane highway will always get you there faster.
For those of you coming from the north, you can't miss the exit for Stoney Trail right before you hit Calgary. On Stoney Trail, you will hit 1 light at Centre St, one at Crowchild Trail and one other before you get the exit for the Trans Canada on the west end of town. Moves traffic very well ! I can be at the inlaws place in Tuscany in 15 minutes, used to take 45 to an hour !
Watch for those pesky Sherrifs,, they love that stretch of road, stick to 12 or so k of the limit and you're fine. All in all, more lanes means less time to get there ! Hwy 22 South and Hwy 1A West, you will often encounter slow traffic, underpowered vehicles towing more than their capacity. Not good for the Heart and Blood pressure !

Top Bottom