Driveshaft Bulletin!!!

509style

Reaction score
Here's how they look When they break. Just a matter of time weakest link. I bet Polaris I will be getting there poop in group. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354501412.906304.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354501428.174633.jpg

509style

Reaction score
76 miles. The driveshaft is just to thin. It's not a matter of glue not holding they are just twisting off. Be prepared in the backcountry boys.

Luvinit

Reaction score
I was wondering how guys are getting the busted sleds out of the backcountry, I,d imagine the shaft would bind up and lock the track, then what. If you have no sled or slider it would slide easier upside down than on a locked track.

1mcatman

Reaction score
did 36 miles today no problem.....but i know its just a mater of time....hope my clamps from tyson get here soon....i didnt baby ether

scafer53

Reaction score
Take both belts off and it will free wheel. On mine the two pieces did not separate so I took both off but I'm sure you would just be able to take the clutch side off. As to getting it off the mountain make sure you bring tow rope, buddies, and a gps will help incase u need a lift.
Duck-I spent the day relaxing at the hotel in the hot tub...was gonna rent but the conditions made it a little to risky for me.
Maxwell-that was a huge mistake I made by not paying the 70 bucks for the clamp. I already had 40 miles on it so I guess I thought I was safe...apparently not. I would recommend to everyone with the sled to pick one up. For the small price it could save you from alot of head ache and a hefty chopper bill.

1mcatman

Reaction score
i think i got lucky at 35 miles...mine will not hit snow now till i get my clamps from tyson....too many breakin

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like how Poo was telling dealers not to recommend an aftermarket fix. Really? Do they plan to foot the chopper bill?? I know they are just waiting to see how many are actually breaking and the fix out there may affect the actual number of potential failures but If I was a dealer or anyone riding a '13 Pro I'd put a clamp on all of the replacement shafts till a proven update or product wide recall is issued. Once is enough.
Or give all the Pro owners a plastic toboggan and a tow rope so they don't have to pay for a chopper ride.

Last edited:

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like how Poo was telling dealers not to recommend an aftermarket fix. Really? Do they plan to foot the chopper bill?? I know they are just waiting to see how many are actually breaking and the fix out there may affect the actual number of potential failures but If I was a dealer or anyone riding a '13 Pro I'd put a clamp on all of the replacement shafts till a proven update or product wide recall is issued. Once is enough.
Or give all the Pro owners a plastic toboggan and a tow rope so they don't have to pay for a chopper ride.
If the fix is put on should be where you have to get it choppered out and take it off at home till it fails.

Jeff K

Reaction score
Why are people not running the clamps I just don't get it. Haven't heard any failures with them

Agreed. There hasn't been one report of a failure when using a clamp. Its a SMALL price to pay to be able to ride with some piece of mind that you will make it back to the truck.

Also, have a look at splitting the cost of one of these between your riding group. There are many times when a sled (any brand) is disabled and can't be towed without something like this. This thing makes towing even in powder a LOT easier.

Buddy Tow: Snowmobile tow system

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy was in allen 2 weeks ago and has his heli'd out. They put a new one on and it broke pulling into the shop.....not much we as riders can do but prepare for it and hope they sort it out quick!
just read on SW last night that another guy had his shaft replaced by polaris a week ago after it blew apart. they put a new one in and that one came apart this weekend.

2013 PRO 2nd shaft blown - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just read on SW last night that another guy had his shaft replaced by polaris a week ago after it blew apart. they put a new one in and that one came apart this weekend.

2013 PRO 2nd shaft blown - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum

I was approached by a guy at Yanks Peak last weekend who told me that he has been thru a driveshaft and another guy in their group has had 2 fail. Both had less than 100 and 200kms on them. His advice was not to brake at the same time as landing or hitting something hard ?!? I thought that was a kinda funny statement... Our neighbor (Tavis43 on this site) also had his fail at somewhere around 100kms.

I don't understand why I can't just put a 2012 drive shaft in until this situation sorts itself. Can someone explain that part of the bulletin to me??

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was approached by a guy at Yanks Peak last weekend who told me that he has been thru a driveshaft and another guy in their group has had 2 fail. Both had less than 100 and 200kms on them. His advice was not to brake at the same time as landing or hitting something hard ?!? I thought that was a kinda funny statement... Our neighbor (Tavis43 on this site) also had his fail at somewhere around 100kms.

I don't understand why I can't just put a 2012 drive shaft in until this situation sorts itself. Can someone explain that part of the bulletin to me??
something about the possibility of the shaft seizing to the inner bearing race because there is no oil bath in the 2013 application. I'm sure if one used an anti seize compound of some sort it wouldn't be a problem.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If I was in this situation, the 2012 shaft would be going in regardless..... How can anyone ride a sled with that terrible gut feeling of waiting for a shaft to grenade? Personally, I think there are scare tactics going on with that idea from polaris and yes, while the 2012 shaft may not be a permanent fix, it is the best alternative to not riding at all.......for a year, cause thats how long this issue could draw out for.......

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if I owned a po po 13 with the chances of the shaft going south and they told me not to ride I'd either be getting a year for free both in payments and warranty ...

Other wise id be shoving a rmk up someone's butt.

sent from my htc

Last edited:

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
something about the possibility of the shaft seizing to the inner bearing race because there is no oil bath in the 2013 application. I'm sure if one used an anti seize compound of some sort it wouldn't be a problem.

That's what I'm thinkin', too.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinkin', too.
I'm sure it would be okay, I read the '13 stub has some kind of anti corrosion inhibiter ingredient built into it for the reason that it wouldn't be in an oil bath. the 2012 shaft doesn't have it. poo has put all '12 and '13 shafts on backorder status so there will be no rush on people buying shafts to fix the problem themselves. you thinkin on changing out pigger's?

Top Bottom