Driveshaft Bulletin!!!

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I love my sled but I can't say I'm impressed with the response by Polaris on this, maybe they are just biding there time till they get a better handle on the situation. Just giving you a hard time Snopro, there was no confusion on my part.

When you look at it from Polaris's side....... What do you do? Sure, just replace as they break.... not good for consumers. Do you come up with a remedy, a cure, a bandaid, a real new improved driveshaft? In any case, they have to be tested which takes time. Its not a good situation. Polaris owners are riding with paranoia of when will it break?....will it break....maybe not at all.....not good.
And then there are guys who I ride with.....not fun diggin and ruining a trip

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
I love my sled but I can't say I'm impressed with the response by Polaris on this, maybe they are just biding there time till they get a better handle on the situation. Just giving you a hard time Snopro, there was no confusion on my part.

I agree trench with you all the way to the hill..... "Just ride it, if it breaks we will fix it" That is some response !

Last edited:

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Why are unproven parts still making it out to the public, the manufacturers need to do more testing on new technology, and quit having the public do their r&d for them. Polaris should pay the chopper bills.

This is nothing new.... I was a Polaris guniea pig as well as alot of others over the years.... its just a snowmobile. :eek:
Actually, the manufacturers do alot of testing.... I remember when the edge came out....that chassis existed 3 years before it came out....but real world testing in the hands of consumers is alot different sometimes.....

Last edited:

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the 20,000 from Snowest and the user later edited it out so perhaps it is high not sure. At any rate I think the important thing to recognize is that they have acknowledged the problem we will hear more when they know more. Man I can't believe how many glass half empty guys there are on here! Irregardless of the exact numbers the odds at this time are very low that one will have a failure. Sounds as though at this time they are making no changes to the design and they are standing by it, perhaps they will be inspecting them closely. It. This is the most important part of the bulletin " When root cause and resolution have been finalized, an official repair notification will be published for the affected vehicles. As stated above, Polaris will stand behind this product and support our customers".
Eager to hear more about it as it progresses

From Snowest
Originally Posted by deschutes
A service bulletin has been released, relating to the 2013 drive shafts.

Summary:

Polaris has confirmed 70 drive shaft failures, out of approximately 20,000 units sold.
Broken shafts will be replaced.
Replacement parts are available, and will be replaced under warranty with confirmation of a broken shaft.
Polaris has performed rigorous testing, and is committed to the technology used in the 2013 shafts.

I was a little disappointed when I heard Polaris was replacing the failed shafts with the same design... they obviously must think they will "eventually" stand up. Also I'm afraid that all those good folks on this thread that DON'T ride the Pro may be right..... It's looking like there may be alot of failures coming, good thing we have them to point this out!!! LMFAO It is entertaining that the most posts on these threads and loudest voices are from non Polaris riders!!!

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I was a little disappointed when I heard Polaris was replacing the failed shafts with the same design... they obviously must think they will "eventually" stand up. Also I'm afraid that all those good folks on this thread that DON'T ride the Pro may be right..... It's looking like there may be alot of failures coming, good thing we have them to point this out!!! LMFAO It is entertaining that the most posts on these threads and loudest voices are from non Polaris riders!!!

Maybe the people who own the pro's think; "It won't happen to me"

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little off topic hear but when will brp finally deliver all thoughs xm that were snow checked. I'm tired of hearing only Polaris guys riding. Man if this was a year where it wasnt a slow start I can't imagine the pissed off doo riders. Thank god for no snow. For now ill just keep riding my 13 Polaris. See you xm riders out there someday!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just pointing out the facts my friend, those that ride them can keep their head in the sand if they so choose. some of the best info and possible "band aid" fixes has come from those that don't ride them. unlike the '08 'doo failures where the non 'doo riders just came to gloat.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really feel bad for all the news poo owners. Definitely wouldn't be fun to be wondering if/when the shaft is gonna break and leave you stranded. Poor guys would have to be cautious riding in the mountains and limit where they ride so if things went south they could get a tow out instead of a chopper. And having Polaris warranty the shafts is fine and dandy but if you go to the mountains and it snaps on the first day and have to sit in town while your buddies ride for the next 2 days or rent a sled or chopper your sled out that warranty isn't worth a damn in that aspect. And even having it warrantied with the same shaft isnt very reassuring.

Once the dust settles and the problem is fixed permanently then us doo guys and cat guys can tease and poke fun at the situation but right now its just not fair cause these guys don't get to enjoy the snow with the rest of us.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What colour is the sky in your world? XM's are everywhere. Plus it's the best start to sledding conditions in the mountains in 6 years. The poo section is the only place where there is any interesting things to read. Other sections like the doo section are just of people loving their sleds.

Man there are a lot of people that are over sensitive here.

Who cares what colour you bleed. Have a normal conversation, and look beyond your sled prejudice.

A little off topic hear but when will brp finally deliver all thoughs xm that were snow checked. I'm tired of hearing only Polaris guys riding. Man if this was a year where it wasnt a slow start I can't imagine the pissed off doo riders. Thank god for no snow. For now ill just keep riding my 13 Polaris. See you xm riders out there someday!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just pointing out the facts my friend, those that ride them can keep their head in the sand if they so choose. some of the best info and possible "band aid" fixes has come from those that don't ride them. unlike the '08 'doo failures where the non 'doo riders just came to gloat.
Gloating is fun.....'til your breaks........

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope no gloating from the Doo clan on this issue
icon33.gif

CMB70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I know is this sucks. I have 16K+ in my sled and Im scared to ride it. It will always be in the back of a guys mind. BS

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Fair enough... I'm not pointing any fingers and for the most of it, your posts usually have good information and or entertainment!! There are some I guess, that have no real input, or nothing else to doo!! not my game but, I suppose it goes both ways!! Also I wouldn't think that any of the Pro owners have there head in the sand, I'm sure they are all aware of the current situation. I would think that they are waiting to see what unfolds and hope like hell it doesn't happen to them.. (although to read these posts, it seems like they are just waiting for the inevitable).. or what they could do to avoid a failure etc.. I personally don't these band aide's are the answer but it might just prolong the failures so Polaris can get on top of the situation...

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
As far as I'm concerned, this should be a mandatory safety recall from polaris no matter how many shafts fail. Right now it is dealer driven and fixed apon receipt of a broken driveshaft. If this continues and warranty runs out, then what? Hopefully in the next couple weeks a safety recall will be issued like was done in 2008 with BRP.

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fair enough... I'm not pointing any fingers and for the most of it, your posts usually have good information and or entertainment!! There are some I guess, that have no real input, or nothing else to doo!! not my game but, I suppose it goes both ways!! Also I wouldn't think that any of the Pro owners have there head in the sand, I'm sure they are all aware of the current situation. I would think that they are waiting to see what unfolds and hope like hell it doesn't happen to them.. (although to read these posts, it seems like they are just waiting for the inevitable).. or what they could do to avoid a failure etc.. I personally don't these band aide's are the answer but it might just prolong the failures so Polaris can get on top of the situation...
it was the same in '08, there were a lot of 'doo guys tripping out because other brand riders were in the threads, some helpful and some not so much. I've spent my whole snowmobiling life arguing and poking fun back and forth with my buddies on other brands, but at the end of the day we were still buds and riding with each other as many days as we could get in. everybody did whatever it took to get the machines home regardless of what we were riding, and I think it's still the same today. it isn't worth getting all worked up over, but I still get a kick out of some of the comments by haters as well as defenders. this will get sorted out one day, and we'll all laugh and move on to the next gaff by one of the major brands.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes!!...for sure.... I rode a 2008 XP with a plug welded shaft for a year and wondered the same thing......shitty deal
me too man, after the first few big throttle on landings and unexpected creeks I quit worrying about my plug welded shaft and just rode the snot out of that thing. the biggest issue for me was getting the clutching and gearing dialed in, all on my own dime. by the time 'doo came up with something I had dropped well over a grand on gears, pins, ramps, springs, clutch tower braces, belts made for other models, auxillary intake, and rum to drown my sorrows. by the end of the season it was making bigger sleds look bad and I was stoked to pass on any info that would help others. no regrets

sledheadjoe

Reaction score
610kms on my 2013 pro 155 still running great and orignal shaft with no fixes on it. ride the piss out of it till it breaks.

Top Bottom