Driver's Licence required on your person when riding

Cal Rakach

Reaction score
I want to make you all aware: In the Clearwater (at least) the RCMP have started ticketing riders that are riding on any public road, lease road or highway (and ditch) that do not have on their person a valid drivers licence.
AOHVA has been working through this and I have received the following explanation as to where this regulation lies:

AOHVA was contacted as the result of a couple of fellas getting ticketed for driving a on a lease road and not having their drivers licence on them.

Part of my discussion with my guy at AEP: "It all comes back to the Oil road being described as a Hwy. In the traffic safety act. The fact is the RCMP know it is illegal to drive an OHV on a highway and all the other related charges. The problem people think its ok because enforcement folks have been ignoring the legislation for a number of years. They could have also seized any OHV on a Hwy. No way of fighting it if they were on the road surface. The drivers licence thing is in the Traffic safety, Act Part 6 Off – highway vehicles Section 118(1) “When a person drives an OHV on a highway”

1. The driving of that vehicle by that person on the highway is, and
  2. The obligations on the person driving the vehicle and any person riding in or on that vehicle is located on the highway are,
Except as otherwise provided for under this Act, subject to the other parts of this Act in the same manner as if the off-highway vehicle were as defined in section 1.
Short story , if you are on any road that can be defined as a Highway (including the ditch) all the rules of driving on a Highway with any vehicle come into play.
You need to have a drivers licence to be on a Highway, that means every one. Good thing the guy had insurance because it is $2875 for having an uninsured OHV on a Highway as opposed to $310 on Public Lands."

This applies for both OHV and sled.

A clarification here:
- if you are riding out in the bush and off any roadway; this does not apply, you don't need your licence on you.

Cal

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The SRD guy in Nordegg told me last year that it was legal to drive on the roads in Clearwater county as long as you had helmet, registration, insurance and a valid drivers license on you. They even asked me to produce it at the gas pumps in Nordegg.
This past long weekend I saw , no helmets, underage kids, speeding all on Main Street with atv's . People need to wake up !! No wonder the RCMP and government have to get involved.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were stopped yesterday in Bruderhiem. They asked for the usual and when I grabbed my registration of course I was gtg but when I grabbed my insurance I had an old card. I got pretty worried but they were good about it and said don't sweat it. I was pretty happy about that. I know I have current insurance on it and when I got back to my trailer I checked my quad and sure enough it had the current insurance card in it for both machines. I sure I could have met them back at the trailer and showed it to him if I needed to but I think most of this is attitude. I have never run from them and don't get in their face for doing their job. Always polite. I did have to run back to camp once while in Bighorn for the same thing. He kept my license to make sure I came back but out camp was only a couple minutes away. Not sure why I didn't have a current slip in the machine but just glad they are willing to give a guy a break when we have a honest screw up.

HOTLAP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this, I always have a photo copy of the registration and insurance in a ziplock baggie on the machine but not my DL, I will copy that & put it in the baggie too.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this, I always have a photo copy of the registration and insurance in a ziplock baggie on the machine but not my DL, I will copy that & put it in the baggie too.
same here never carry my wallet with me, even aug long when i got pulled over he looked at me said, " let me guess you don't carry your wallet" i said no, he said ok not big deal, but a photocopy in your insurance booklet my not be a bad idea.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we ran into some officers out at Hell's Half Acre on august long, they checked us for ins and reg as well as made sure everyone was wearing helmets. we each had coolers and they didn't even ask what was in them and stated they didn't care if there was beer as long as we weren't hammered and riding around. one guy on a quad and the other in a rzr.

t%20and%20t%20rip%20011%20Large_zpsk3qstbk9.jpg

t%20and%20t%20rip%20012%20Large_zpsqwqryhku.jpg

NMFH
t%20and%20t%20rip%20010%20Large_zpszznyovkf.jpg

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
we ran into some officers out at Hell's Half Acre on august long, they checked us for ins and reg as well as made sure everyone was wearing helmets. we each had coolers and they didn't even ask what was in them and stated they didn't care if there was beer as long as we weren't hammered and riding around. one guy on a quad and the other in a rzr.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/...ng wknd/t and t rip 011 Large_zpsk3qstbk9.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/...ng wknd/t and t rip 012 Large_zpsqwqryhku.jpg

NMFH
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/...ng wknd/t and t rip 010 Large_zpszznyovkf.jpg

Parkland County is one of the few counties where helmets are mandatory, lots of people I know have been stopped out there in HHA and most reports are that the officers have been awesome!

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they pretty well have to be good, for the most part anyway as long as you are to them. If they were a-holes to every one they pulled over word would get out and people would not pull over. every cop that's pulled me over on a quad has started he appreciated that i stopped cause lots of people don't.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they pretty well have to be good, for the most part anyway as long as you are to them. If they were a-holes to every one they pulled over word would get out and people would not pull over. every cop that's pulled me over on a quad has started he appreciated that i stopped cause lots of people don't.

Same here. I've been stopped with out of date insurance/reg, insurance/reg for wrong quad, missing plate, beer in the quad box and have never been given a hard time. ...except for once where we were riding on the forestry trunk road trying to get an injured buddy's quad back to camp and he had lost his plate and didn't have paperwork handy- that's fair, they thought it was probably stolen.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were stopped yesterday in Bruderhiem. They asked for the usual and when I grabbed my registration of course I was gtg but when I grabbed my insurance I had an old card. I got pretty worried but they were good about it and said don't sweat it. I was pretty happy about that. I know I have current insurance on it and when I got back to my trailer I checked my quad and sure enough it had the current insurance card in it for both machines. I sure I could have met them back at the trailer and showed it to him if I needed to but I think most of this is attitude. I have never run from them and don't get in their face for doing their job. Always polite. I did have to run back to camp once while in Bighorn for the same thing. He kept my license to make sure I came back but out camp was only a couple minutes away. Not sure why I didn't have a current slip in the machine but just glad they are willing to give a guy a break when we have a honest screw up.

Thats probably because every person they stop has expired insurance papers but are insured lol.

They really should just issue 1 year long pinks for insurance papers.

funny they require a drivers licence. what about kids 10-14 ish etc?.

When i was 8+ i was Trike-ing all over the place

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats probably because every person they stop has expired insurance papers but are insured lol.

They really should just issue 1 year long pinks for insurance papers.

funny they require a drivers licence. what about kids 10-14 ish etc?.

When i was 8+ i was Trike-ing all over the place

My pink slips are good for 1 year. Your aren't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/...ng wknd/t and t rip 011 Large_zpsk3qstbk9.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/...ng wknd/t and t rip 012 Large_zpsqwqryhku.jpg

NMFH
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/...ng wknd/t and t rip 010 Large_zpszznyovkf.jpg

What's NMFH? The reason I ask is at your when I sign my welds or got to initial stuff I alway put NMFP. Lots of people know me bye NMFP. It's Neil Mother Fawking Pederson

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's NMFH? The reason I ask is at your when I sign my welds or got to initial stuff I alway put NMFP. Lots of people know me bye NMFP. It's Neil Mother Fawking Pederson

it's an old snowest reference. Nice Modular Fawking Helmet. there was a video where a guy says it about a dude riding an old SRX

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its always a good idea to keep your wallet with you when riding anyway. We all usually carry food, drinks or something else with us. Keeping your wallet with you makes it easier for rescue workers to get the information they need. Hopfully they never have to use it

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its always a good idea to keep your wallet with you when riding anyway. We all usually carry food, drinks or something else with us. Keeping your wallet with you makes it easier for rescue workers to get the information they need. Hopfully they never have to use it

Plus once they carry credit card machines in the bush. You can pay your fine on the spot.

Like a Mexican Ambulance ride. Pay up front.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

used to then lost it once quading, and theres a lot of info in there i would rather keep out of other peoples hands, plus its a giant pain in the azz the replace everything in you wallet.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus once they carry credit card machines in the bush. You can pay your fine on the spot.

Like a Mexican Ambulance ride. Pay up front.
Your the only one that gets hurt I know lmao

Better bring a big cash roll for yourself

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be packing my licence with reg and insurance in a small pelican box.

Then it's all together for them.

Already showed the same officer twice in a month. He was a nice guy.

Next time we get a selfie.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be packing my licence with reg and insurance in a small pelican box.

Then it's all together for them.

Already showed the same officer twice in a month. He was a nice guy.

Next time we get a selfie.

I was thinking this is probably the best way. something that can fit under my grizz seat and definitely stay waterproof , ive tried ziplocks but either they leak or get worn holes in them from the tools in there.

that \compartment fills up with water easy also so it has to be waterproof.

could prob fit your phone in the pelican box also and the foam inside will keep it from scratching and banging around.

I used to use soft bags on the racks but the zippers kept getting ruined

Top Bottom