DPF del, tune & warranty?

RazorSVT

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want my cake and want to eat it too!

I have an 08 f350 king ranch w/ 6.4l and am sick of the lack of throttle response, power and gas mileage. I just bought a 8.5x24' enclosed car hauler to tow my car from here to Castrol raceway which I am only getting 26-28l/100km doing 110km/hr!

I want to do a DPF delete and tune but do not want to be turned away for warranty work considering cab off jobs are costly! Now I know that in this town there are thousands of trucks running around with these mods (and a lot more) and most of them still have warranty. My question is what dealers are mod-friendly? I would be willing to return it to stock before bringing it in but I know that one look into the computer and they can tell if it was programmed.

If you don't feel like naming dealerships in the open, please PM me.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there arent any "mod friendly" dealers in edmonton that i have found, but with the custom tuned trucks ie:spartan or kem they wont find anything, i have had my 08 and now my 10 chipped, i run a spartan, and have been back to the dealer a few times and they have never said a word about it,
with the good custom guys they save your old memory and then when you go back to stock it dumps the old memory into the computer, so even if they go looking they have to look for a long time to find anything,

RazorSVT

Reaction score
there arent any "mod friendly" dealers in edmonton that i have found, but with the custom tuned trucks ie:spartan or kem they wont find anything, i have had my 08 and now my 10 chipped, i run a spartan, and have been back to the dealer a few times and they have never said a word about it,
with the good custom guys they save your old memory and then when you go back to stock it dumps the old memory into the computer, so even if they go looking they have to look for a long time to find anything,

Oh really? So if I were to go with a Spartan Phalanx Flash Console and dpf delete, as long as I put the tune back to stock and put the dpf back in place before I bring it to a dealership I should be fine?

markaug

Reaction score
Wouldn't consider that a guarantee that it won't be found. Not sure on Ford's but GM stores the last 10 tunes with verification numbers. If they look they will find it. GM also requires a picture of the info. retrieved sent in prior to giving dealer the okay to perform warranty work on power train related concerns. Would assume Ford has a similar policy.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kid brother just bought 5 - 2011 350 diesels, took them out to the work site when it was -35, ideled all day/night and all 5 had to be towed home. MGM said chip em,delete'em and we will warranty any problems!

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the ford doesnt have a memory like the duramax, im not sure where mgm is?
ya and for best results on mileage do the intake and exhaust too mbrp 4" is bout 350 and s&b cia is around 250-300 talk to ripit customs in sherwood park hes the spartan dealer for northern alberta cole knows his sh!t and is a great guy to deal with good pricing too

markaug

Reaction score
Honesty is the best policy here, that and a good/understanding dealer. I agree that getting rid of the emisions stuff helps them breath and fuel milage increases. Just be careful some dealers may not be as understanding.

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
ya and for best results on mileage do the intake and exhaust too mbrp 4" is bout 350 and s&b cia is around 250-300 talk to ripit customs in sherwood park hes the spartan dealer for northern alberta cole knows his sh!t and is a great guy to deal with good pricing too

exactly, do any more than what oily said, and you into head stud, waste gate dumps, and tranny mods and just like anything it never stops!

hes got you pointed in the rite direction

Oily, u on spartan forum too?

RazorSVT

Reaction score
Kid brother just bought 5 - 2011 350 diesels, took them out to the work site when it was -35, ideled all day/night and all 5 had to be towed home. MGM said chip em,delete'em and we will warranty any problems!

This is the second time I heard this story which is why I said "mod friendly/understanding dealerships. Thanks.

I love my Spartan too...but, IMO I'd get rid of the whole exhaust if you want to see the greatest difference in economy:beer::beer:

Ive thought about this but my question is how much work is it to swap back to stock if i gotta bring it inti the dealership? I have a shop and all airtools, etc.

Thanks, maybe I'll give him a shout.

Honesty is the best policy here, that and a good/understanding dealer. I agree that getting rid of the emisions stuff helps them breath and fuel milage increases. Just be careful some dealers may not be as understanding.

That's what i am concerned about and why I made this thread. I would not want to pay for a high pressure fuel pump out of pocket!

exactly, do any more than what oily said, and you into head stud, waste gate dumps, and tranny mods and just like anything it never stops!

hes got you pointed in the rite direction

Oily, u on spartan forum too?

You bet... Intake, exhaust and tune is as far as I want to go. I know about the mod bug, I have an 04 svt cobra pushing 600rwhp/700rwtq. Lol

popeye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Ive thought about this but my question is how much work is it to swap back to stock if i gotta bring it inti the dealership? I have a shop and all airtools, etc."

I've got the spartan tuning, 5" down pipe back exhaust and afe intake and it takes me about 2 hours to swap back to stock. I've had to swap it to stock 3 times. One of those times was for head gasket whitch was warranty with no questions. The hard part is when you putting the cat and DPF back in becauce of the size and wieght of them.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on the 6.4's intake exh and a programmer is all anyone needs ive ran 13.5 in the 1/4, thats plenty fast enuf for any 8500# daily driver. all you need is the doc/dpf delete pipe and a dpf back exhaust.
to switch back to stock i usually race the programmer and by the time im tightening everything up the truck has stock tuning back in it bout 30min and thats laying on my garage floor a lift and air tools would be even faster

sledhead
i am but i spend more time on powerstroke.org, i find the spartan forums go dead quite often

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are definitely some "understanding " dealers out there. As discussed being upfront and honest will get you a lot farther. And as far as returning to stock goes, if your HPFP shits the bed are you going to haul your truck home, throw the crap back on and then call the dealer to come get it? If your truck breaks down on the family vacation 2000km from home, what will you do then? Not trying to scare you away or make a mountain out of a mole hill. But there is a reason dealers are declining warranty work and even voiding warranties for these types of mods. Bottom line you have to be prepared to pay to play.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are definitely some "understanding " dealers out there. As discussed being upfront and honest will get you a lot farther. And as far as returning to stock goes, if your HPFP shits the bed are you going to haul your truck home, throw the crap back on and then call the dealer to come get it? If your truck breaks down on the family vacation 2000km from home, what will you do then? Not trying to scare you away or make a mountain out of a mole hill. But there is a reason dealers are declining warranty work and even voiding warranties for these types of mods. Bottom line you have to be prepared to pay to play.
Hit the nail on the head there. I want to delete mine but until i have a real problem with my dpf, its staying on! I'm not deleting it to get better fuel milage or just because someone else broke down. I'm getting 15 mpg towing my travel trailer my truck runs great and I can idle it for hours, plus I like my warrenty. Just my 2 cents.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check with your dealer, I think "not sure" Spartan is a Ford product or they have a Ford warranty friendly tuner. Im not up on the Ford stuff at all but im sure HRT is a very good source of info.

RazorSVT

Reaction score
I've got the spartan tuning, 5" down pipe back exhaust and afe intake and it takes me about 2 hours to swap back to stock. I've had to swap it to stock 3 times. One of those times was for head gasket whitch was warranty with no questions. The hard part is when you putting the cat and DPF back in becauce of the size and wieght of them.

Excellent, thanks, thats what I wanted to know. :)

on the 6.4's intake exh and a programmer is all anyone needs ive ran 13.5 in the 1/4, thats plenty fast enuf for any 8500# daily driver. all you need is the doc/dpf delete pipe and a dpf back exhaust.
to switch back to stock i usually race the programmer and by the time im tightening everything up the truck has stock tuning back in it bout 30min and thats laying on my garage floor a lift and air tools would be even faster

Wow thats fast and inspiring. Do you use a tranny jack or anything to hold the exhaust in place for you?

Thanks for bringing some realism into aspect. This is the reason I am hesitant. Out of all the 6.4 issues it seems the most common are all emissions systems ,egr & exhaust related. So it would only make sense to delete all these systems so they cant cause the issues meaning I would have a greater chance on staying out of the dealership. That logic make sense?

Hit the nail on the head there. I want to delete mine but until i have a real problem with my dpf, its staying on! I'm not deleting it to get better fuel milage or just because someone else broke down. I'm getting 15 mpg towing my travel trailer my truck runs great and I can idle it for hours, plus I like my warrenty. Just my 2 cents.

15MPG? Holy hell batman! Towing my 24' enclosed car hauler (8000lbs loaded) cost me $300 to go 900km!

Check with your dealer, I think "not sure" Spartan is a Ford product or they have a Ford warranty friendly tuner. Im not up on the Ford stuff at all but im sure HRT is a very good source of info.
Spartan is a totally separate company and from all of what I have read while researching is detectable just like other tuners if a tech is searching for it.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just looking on Spartan web site and there are updates ... not sure if anyone has done them yet....

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 08 f350 6.4 running a sct livewire programmers with dpf delete and cold air intake and never had a problem with warranty. Blew my torque converter while traveling through the mountains and had it covered under warranty and have also had a few small issues around town and have never had a problem. Also had a 07.5 dodge 3500 with the 6.7 with a programmer and dpf delete and even the lame dodge dealers in town here covered everything under warranty. Just bought a 2011 dodge 3500 and plan on chipping it and doing all the deletes as soon as I get a few more km on it. Caper11 I don't know how your truck gets 15mpg pulling a travel trailer with no deletes. I was only getting 15 - 16 with mine just pulling a 16' flat deck with a sxs on it. If that is the mileage your getting with out any deletes you are doing good:thumbsup2:

Top Bottom