doo vs cat

ski-doo

Reaction score
i need some honest opinions here. Iam looking at buying a newer sled next year 04-07. Eveyone i know rides ski-doo as well as me. iam looking at the 800 summit x or an M8. What are the Ups and Downs of each sled.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your gonna have Doo guys tellin ya to get a Doo and Cat guys tell ya to get a Cat, ride them both if you can and make your own opinion. I bought an 05 Rev 151 this year and love it. Never rode an M8 but i have seen them go and they do rip. Either one will be a great sled. My .02

summit.n.e.

Reaction score
i am a little bias because of the 800xrs i ride
but i have riden both cat and doo
tough call both are awsome efi is a bonus when starting

go with your gut and best dealer in your area:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only way to tell is to ride them both and see what you like. I love my doo ('06 800) but I rode the ride n hide M7 rental a bit and it climbs like a mountain goat and is way easy to throw around in the trees although the running boards suck ba11s.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Us cat guys need all the support we can muster up!Buy a cat LOL!
catmando!:rant:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Try The New Summits First

DEFINATELY TRY THE NEW SUMMIT FIRST.... VERY EASY TO RIDE AND IS DIFFERENT THAN THE REV SUMMITS.... CAN LIFT THE BACK OF THE REV XP UP WITH ONE HAND WITH EASE... NOT THE REVS ....
HAVE RIDDEN WITH M8 AND M1000 CATS, AND THINK WHAT YOU WILL, THE M1000 HAD PROBLEMS THROUGHOUT THE DAY(DIDN'T SEEM TO HANG WITH THE BIG BOYS) AND THE M8 WAS ON JUICE AND SEEMED OKAY, BUT STILL COULDN'T HANG WITH THE BIG BOYS ON THE HIGHMARKS.
YOU WILL HAVE TO TRY BOTH TO SEE WHAT YOU LIKE..... REMEMBER THE POLARIS IS COMING OUT WITH A 800 DRAGON(155HP):eek:

ski-doo

Reaction score
ive riden my aunts 07 800 summit x with a 144" track and i loved it. but ive never had the chance to ride an m8 and i like the look of them and can get a good deal on one

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M8: reliable, better chassis in powder/sidehilling, better looking (in my opinion), lower price

Doo 800: unreliable engine, better chassis in bumps/jumps, more expensive, lighter (which could mean its not as durable), new chassis in 08 so there may be some problems

This is a summary of pros/cons of the brands.
Josh

ski-doo

Reaction score
i have noticed that alot of the 800 doo motors are a problem. my uncled had one for 1200km and blew it up. How is the cat motor more reliable than the doo

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the ride n hide M7 rental climbs like a mountain goat

I just rode with it for 4 days and I'll second Summiteer on that one. WOW!!!:eek: :eek: But it is also 150 hp and clutched spot on.;) :) I never saw any M8's climbing at all; but I did see an M1000 that pulled a huge highmark then sat and watched a bunch of sleds taking runs at it without getting anywhere near it. Then an Apex turbo showed up and ruined everyones fun.:D :D

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And here we go. Well i ride a 07 skidoo xrs 800R 159. I love this machine so much, id never go back to a cat. JK. I this that the issues this year will be fixed soon, but u never know. I ride with my buddy who has an M8 and that thing can climb like a goat, but i find that it is very hard to throw around. Maybe its just me. But as for durability, i have 500miles on my xrs and still have not done any updates or recalls and have had no problems with it. I used to ride a cat, but i got to good of a deal on my new XRS that i could not pass up. And im glad that i did not. It is like any sled, they all need some test time to get the bugs worked out. O ya and i thought that i would make a coment on y the motors are blowning up. The dealer guys i ride with have 07 summits, and none of them have blown up. The FACTORY SAID TO USE MINERAL OIL. That is the biggest problem right there. That oil is way to light for the amount of heat that these motors put out. The demo that the dealer has have over 2500 miles each on them and no work has been done other than a can and jetting and some clutch work. Just a though for ya.

ski-doo

Reaction score
well my aunt had a 99 summit with 13000kms on it never blew up the motor. mint shape. i think your right with why people are blowing them up cause there trying to take the cheaper way out. ive riden the 07 summitx 144 and i loved it. but ive never had the chance to ride a cat everyone i sled with rides ski-doo. what cat did you used to own?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
What sled did he own??

well my aunt had a 99 summit with 13000kms on it never blew up the motor. mint shape. i think your right with why people are blowing them up cause there trying to take the cheaper way out. ive riden the 07 summitx 144 and i loved it. but ive never had the chance to ride a cat everyone i sled with rides ski-doo. what cat did you used to own?

Hey ski-doo..... Catzuki has a '99 powder special.... looks kinda modded to me. Check his signature file: says he also has a dodge diesel modded.
Catzuki: glad you like the xrs so much. I think they are an awesome sled, but maybe a little too bare??

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd go with the M8... my brother works in an insurance office where two of the owners have had major issues with their brand new RMK 900's ('06) and decided to switch brands after many years, and buy new '07 Summit 800r's. Both of their Doo's blew engines almost right out of the box. There are some major issues with the 800R doo's and they are not an easy fix... bottom end stuff. The M8's have had a few issues as well regarding under hood temperature evacuation as I have heard?? All new sleds have their teething issues. The M sleds are pretty much prooven over all I think and are a fun sled to play around with. It comes down to what kind of riding you do most of all... I think the best boondocking sled out there are the Cat M sleds, easy to throw around and great climbers as everybody knows.

My thoughts...

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a civilized bunch I thought forsure this thread would reguire popcorn or at the very least a ref. Only thing I can input is the M1000 clutched right has in most cases thrown up the highest scratches .................... until like Shredder says a Pimped out Yammie shows up. The one thing I must repeat all M series need serious set up in the clutch. With a few mods and dialling in the 8 and 10 feel light and man they climb. Now I know there is some real Cat eaters on this site and very few Cat lovers so thats the end of my comments. Good luck with your choice, your DEALER is the most important option not the Make or MODEL.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Although I'm a huge Doo fan I've been driving Polaris's for a few years now (good buys at the time).
I was lucky enough to borrow a 2006 159 800 doo for the weekend two weeks ago while in Trout Lake.
The sled is awesome. It took me a few hours to get used to the way it handles but after that I couldn't believe how well it got me where I wanted to go and beyound. I've also heard of motor problems with the Doo's but only know of one person who had a motor fail on a stocker (05 with lots of mile on it), maybe its a urban ledgend?
Haven't had time in the saddle of a Cat but I always hear good things about them (for the last few years). Don't think you can go wrong with either...the question is, can you face the harassment you will take for riding a Cat?
just kidding of course.
Good luck.

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you looking!

Hey I have a 04 Summit 800 144 for sale right now if your intrested PM 1600km pro rebuild under 200km ago...I have tons of pics and need to move her asap due to personal issues, maybe we can help each other!:cool:

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledbunny I always thought people laughed at me cuz Iam fat ,old and super ugly But your last post clears thing up about the harrasment I have had to face. People harras me cuz Iam fat, old and super ugly but mainly cuz I ride a Arctic Cat I feel gooood now.

Top Bottom