doo recoil

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
what are the common parts that wear out on the recoil? mine use to grab bt skip every once and awhile now doesnt grab at all

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the ratching dogs and the cups whichs bolt to the mag need to to be replace
if your going to replace these parts good idea to change the rope at same
time .that this weeks job on my sons sled .Always clamp the pulley when
you pull the rope all the out to change it or you will have recoil spring allover you and that not fun

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a whole bunch of little parts. better off to order a complete assembely for 150$.

you can rebuild them but there never the same hahahaha.

just pull it off and take a picture i can tell you what needs to be replaced and give you a rough price.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the red peice is wore down and im guess that its wore down far enough not to grab the parts on the fly wheel

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7 420852297
Pawl 1 $24.27

8 420852307
Pawl Lock 1 $14.27

9 420847925
Stage Sleeve 1 $10.70

10 420250400
O-Ring 1 $2.84

11 420852520
Lock Ring 1 $8.19

12 420845560
Locking Element 1 $2.29

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now witch one is the red piece?

I thinks that would be the pawl. I have had red ones and blue ones. I actually keep 2 spare recoils on hand. I am lucky that they fit both my wife's and my sled. It seems I manage to bust one every season. Then, just throw on a spare and rebuild the busted one. The 670x pulls really hard when cold! I have heard that you can buy a heavy duty recoil but haven't looked into it much.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
P# 420892615 THATS FOR THE COMPLETE RECOIL ASSY.

BRP Retail is $194.49

all we do is just replace the complete recoil and if unit is under warranty i can typically get it covered. the roap holder also can warp and need to be replaced.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
P# 420892615 THATS FOR THE COMPLETE RECOIL ASSY.

BRP Retail is $194.49

Yup just bought a new one monday after the 4th time flying apart just bought a whole new one I figured the post where the clip is wasn't holding anymore and i thing the clip is stuck to the magneto so I got more ripping apart to do.

rtk

Reaction score
When you replace the recoil make sure al the attachment screws are tight and maybe use some locktite or they will vibrate out and fall under the engine. Happened to me after about five rides on new recoil

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I gotta agree with Maxwell on this one. Done the repair route a few times and it always seems to fail again shortly afterwards.Its is more expensive but much less aggravating!

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the post where the clip is wasn't holding anymore

The posts are plastic and they wear out. Once that happens the retainer clip never holds the same. Replace the whole unit. Once they explode in your sled you usually can't run the motor with out a whole bunch of grinding of recoil parts. It means being towed out or fixed on the spot.

summitkid600

Reaction score
on my 2009 summit 800, i have gone through 2 recoils under warrenty in 400 kms, they pull out and just dont go back in has anyone else had trouble this fast

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the 12 years that I have had a DOO...I have had some problems with recoils, but not one failure.... they were easily fixed with the parts. all were just worn from having grooves on the faces that slide together.
My 08 XP was not engaging, after a couple of rides, I took it off and saw it was just smeared with grease. I wiped off as much as I could and it has worked flawless. The plastic is self lubricating, and needs minimal grease... if anything, a silicone spray.
As for the guys who go through recoils left and right.... remember that it is just plastic, and make sure you have it engaged onto the motor before you reef on it. I see so many pull from the get go and engage with a full force.

highlimits

Reaction score
Not sure if it has been mentioned already but the RT recoil is a bit stronger it has a steal post down the center as well as a steal Pawl inside. It will fit onto the 800 and if I recall the price was with in 10 bucks of each other. Not sure why brp made 2 different recoils if they fit both sleds. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom