Don't Forget to Blow Yourself!

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was doing the usual pre-season checklist for sled stuff and came to my avy bag. I check it every Fall, and yes, blow the air bag off. Checked it this time and guess what, no air in it!! Well, looked like about 400lbs on the gauge but not even enough to pop the cork. So, for all you avy bag folks, check your air and don't forget to blow yourself off!!:cool:

Attachments

• AvyTank.jpg
    AvyTank.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 446

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was doing the usual pre-season checklist for sled stuff and came to my avy bag. I check it every Fall, and yes, blow the air bag off. Checked it this time and guess what, no air in it!! Well, looked like about 400lbs on the gauge but not even enough to pop the cork. So, for all you avy bag folks, check your air and don't forget to blow yourself off!!:cool:

This is why you weigh the cylinder?

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you found the source of your leak?

No idea, change the seal every year, tank was full at the end of the season. Will get it refilled and keep an eye on it, will check with BCA for comment!👍

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spray a soap/water solution around the upper part of the canister or put it into a sink with water and watch for bubbles. The leak usually occurs where the gauge screws onto the canister, from my experiences.

No idea, change the seal every year, tank was full at the end of the season. Will get it refilled and keep an eye on it, will check with BCA for comment!

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When someone brings me a leaked down cylinder, I end up changing all o rings, including the one at the neck. The o ring eventually flattens out, causing it to leak.
Don’t waste your money getting it filled until you change that neck o ring.

Bang on with your advice, the O Ring on the neck is in fact a Flat Ring now! Not sure if that's where it was leaking however, I'll be replacing all the rings. I've rebuilt allot of scuba valves and as with your avy bag, O Rings aren't the place to cheap out with maintenance!��

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bang on with your advice, the O Ring on the neck is in fact a Flat Ring now! Not sure if that's where it was leaking however, I'll be replacing all the rings. I've rebuilt allot of scuba valves and as with your avy bag, O Rings aren't the place to cheap out with maintenance!👍
Safety first Sherm!:wtg:

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never had that problem on a ABS bag.

still not sold on air units.

I wouldn't consider a O Ring replacement every year a problem, routine safety maintenance. And, if you have to replace all the O Rings after 8 years of use, I'm OK with that too!��

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done this test many times... usually pissed drunk at a summer party, no one expects it BOOOM!!!

pro tip-

ear plugs..... or helmet!

Also, I had the rubber top of my snowpulse whip open and smack the back of my neck somethin fierce once! put me down to the ground....

Seen some funny things doing this test. bags not inflate... one "wing" staying inside a bag.... pull cord failures... but none of these on Snowpulse RAS stuff of any generation, I have nothing bad to say about my Snowpulse bags over the years, cant say the same about other brands

I would like to get an electric one eventually... test anytime....

Top Bottom