dont even know what to say

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, heres where i make an about face on all the comments ive made sticking up for polaris all this time.

A few weeks ago, i went out for thr first ride off the year, my sled has 750km on it. Never a single issue, never a check engine light, always run shell 91 fuel, ride it hard.

Ao after about 1/2 hour or riding. I get a sudden hard bog, falls on its fface so hard i almost go over the bars. I noticed the gauges were flicking on and off. We were a ways from home, so we rode around a bit and headed for home. On the way back it started to hit det lights a bit, so just crept it back for the last couple hundred.meters.

So i buy the updated VR install it, still no gauges. Ok time for the stealership. They check it out and run the codes, body harness circuit open, body harness ciruit overload (or something like that), max det limit reached etc. But ecu is still good. So they checked compression. 95 and 110.

Turns out the thumb warmer cable had been pinched, which shorted my chassis harness, which blew my voltage regulator, which likely blew my rings/pistons/who knows what else because of the irregular voltage to the injectors. It happened rigght before i got home because i checked plugs twice on that outing and both times they were good. One looked a tad lighter grey but they were both clean and tan-ish in color.

So now, after amasssing about 5-6000 in aftermarket parts that i havent even been able to install yet, im havingg to pay for the fix kit, and who knows what else (ill be pullingg the engine today). I was supposed to ggo to mcbride today until the 21st.....

Now Ill try to rebuild asap, if it aint finished by sunday, trip is cancelled. FML.
The turbo kit better put a big friggin smile on my face or ill be brand changing next season.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be pretty upset too if it happened to me. I don't know why Polaris seems to have more issues than anyone else. It's hard to believe that there isn't some sort of safe guard built into the system for when a live electrical circuit gets grounded out. I wouldn't totally believe that the ECU is 100% good either if I were you. Good Luck and I hope your trip doesn't get wrecked.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be pretty upset too if it happened to me. I don't know why Polaris seems to have more issues than anyone else. It's hard to believe that there isn't some sort of safe guard built into the system for when a live electrical circuit gets grounded out. I wouldn't totally believe that the ECU is 100% good either if I were you. Good Luck and I hope your trip doesn't get wrecked.
Fuses are pretty cheap........

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So heres the official code list from my diagnostic
p0562 - chassis low voltage
p1336 - max detonation reached
p1611 - chassis relay circuit open

I also forgot to clarify, they isolated the issue as being the thumb warmer, because they disconnected it and the MFD worked as per usual with no other adjustments or tinkering. (im not fully convinced yet, but time will tell). Im going to start installing my long track conversion parts, vinyl wrapping the tunnel, headlight delete, and potentially the turbo parts. Going to see if i can get the fix kit installed monday, and hopefully I may get to head to blue river for next weekend. I will hopefully be able to verify if the ecu is good by monday or tuesday.

I agree, there should be further safe guards for the electrical system. And in my opinion, polaris should recall the voltage regulator since its a widely known problem caused by faulty factory equipment. I had to pay 200 for mine. even after they told me on the phone that it was 100.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that the voltage regulator isn't a normal wear item with service life of 2 years? That would be news to Polaris' design team.

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be normal iff it even saw two years of use. It ggot used the year it was new and then ffor about 2 -1/2 hours total since 2010. Voltage regulator failing due to short circuit and then blowingg the motor? Ridiculous. Im buying canadian next time.

Regardless of number of years, any $13000+ vehicle should not have major component failures at less than 800km. Not to mention the fact that itswell known that the original voltage regulators on these machines were a factory problem anyways.

Last edited:

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to clear up this thread this sled is in the shop getting the fix kit installed and we found this.... so not really a fault of Polaris ..... ( in this case )

Last edited:

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry pics

Attachments

• 20130117_123002.jpg
    20130117_123002.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 205

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it turns out im a dumbass lol. But also proves my self diagnosis wrong lol. The most riding ive done with the mountain bar on was loading my sled in the truck from chris' shop. I put it on when i swapped the VR. It explains my gauges not coming on after, which at east caused the low compression to be caught before i ended up in the mountains with problems lol.

Thanks to chris for the speedy rebuild. Dropped it off two days ago, was finished yesterday, picked up today. Will definetly be going to chris for future work.

And as much as i try, i cant stay mad at polaris. Lol, i do love this machine. Id only changge it out for a pro assault.

Top Bottom