Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Camping season is about to start again get them in and fixed
:d:beer::d

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got mine done over the winter....just a fire containment patch....not a real fix, but oh well, it's done.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Mine got as new heat sheild, thermo coupler and some kinda relay if the temp get too high it shuts everything down

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just checked All ok mine didnt make the list. It pays to have the cheap stuff

Glen

Ours wasn't on the list but the wife called in anyways and sure enough - it is also eligible for the recall. I suggest you call Dometic.

:confused:

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My trailer is parked at our lot amongst the trees with a deck build up tight etc. It would be a pain to get the trailer out of the spot and haul it to Edson or Spruce Groove for 1 hour of fixing . I am going to see if I can buy the parts and do it myself or pay for an RV tech to do it on site or haul in the fridge only. Has anyone seen the fix done ? Is it basic enough that a averge guy can do it ? One guy said they added some foil to the burner area - he didn't think it was much of a fix . :confused:

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was able to install the "recall kit" myself. It wasn't too bad . The instruction were very good. and the fridge started after the install ( so far so good - time will tell) :). The hardest part is working with the sheet metal - knowing how much to bend and where to trim the shrouds if required ( brute force is not the method to use on sheet metal work) . The kit is not fixing the problem - it just mitigates the damage and the potential for the flame ( due to the failure of the fire tube ) from buring the entire trailer ( there is a lot of wood and fiberglass insulation and chalking that is flamable around this burner boiler assembly ) :eek:I think it is good idea to inspect that area once in awhile to ensure that popular fuzz, dust , dead files and bees and other crap doesn't catch fire over time . A flame sensor is installed that shuts down the gas valve. If the tube cracks the fridge is done and will need to be repaired ( need major parts) or replace the unit depending on the flame damage.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i install at least 2 recall kits every day. takes about 15 min. very easy to do. if you do some searching dometic has a video process.

JLE Seminile

Reaction score
On December 12, 2012, consumers in California and Florida filed a class action lawsuit against Norcold, Inc., claiming that the company knowingly manufactured dangerously defective refrigerators that caused over 2,000 RV fires, but hid that fact from consumers and federal regulators through false and ineffective product safety recall campaigns. The lawsuit is focused on Norcold-brand 6, 8 and 1200 Series gas absorption refrigerators. The plaintiffs seek to force Norcold to fix their products, and to offer new, non-defective replacement refrigerators to all RV owners who currently own one of the affected products. The suit also seeks to recover money consumers have lost as a result of failures caused by defects in Norcold's refrigerators, as well as money spent by consumers in responding to the recalls, or otherwise attempting to fix the products to they could be operated safely. A press release is attached with more information. Anyone interested in sharing their experiences with their Norcold refrigerator, or participating in the lawsuit, should contact the people listed in the release, or visit this website - Norcold Fire-Prone RV & Boat Refrigerator Lawsuit.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Norcold also has fridge recalls, we didnt know till we took our trailer to work a 1990 travelaire rustler and we were planning on going camping after work and later in the day we noticed smoke ran and opened the door and the fridge was filled with flames so we put it out got digging into it found out it was recalled so needless to say we got a new fridge it cound have been worse i guess

Top Bottom