Dollar looking good again

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On par with US dollar - anyone doing some border shopping?

Here's some pricing $10,300 USD for 2010 Yamaha Nytro MTX brand new.

Canadian price $12,500.

$2,000 Canadian price savings...........worth the drive?????

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
find a truck to buy at the same time and fly:d

sub zero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better have your paper work ready. Has to be at the border 72hrs in advance. Or it'll be sitting and so will you. Or your 2g in savings becomes 3 nights in a hotel, plus food and exspences.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better have your paper work ready. Has to be at the border 72hrs in advance. Or it'll be sitting and so will you. Or your 2g in savings becomes 3 nights in a hotel, plus food and exspences.

Does that also apply to new?

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha does not transfer warranty - worst case scenario you drive it back down if motor blows. If the plan is to Turbo anyways then there is no warranty either way.

I have imported many times now and it does not create any extra problems provided your paperwork is in order.

At $2,000 savings it is worth the drive - any less than that and you have to question it IMO.

sub zero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yamaha does not transfer warranty - worst case scenario you drive it back down if motor blows. If the plan is to turbo anyways then there is no warranty either way.

I have imported many times now and it does not create any extra problems provided your paperwork is in order.

At $2,000 savings it is worth the drive - any less than that and you have to question it imo.

im all for saving money. But. If we all went to th u s and bought our sleds. We wouldnt have any dealers left. No dealers=no service. Hence we all suffer.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked into buying a dealership a few years ago - margins on sleds are next to nothing!

If you really want to support your local dealer - buy parts from them and take your sled there. I support guys that I have a relationship with (eg Summitric just took some of my money last week) but have no problems driving to save money on sled and car purchases. If a local dealer had any loyalty to their buyers they would be aquiring used sleds from the US and passing savings on to the Canadian consumer - you don't see that happening now do you?

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked into buying a dealership a few years ago - margins on sleds are next to nothing!

So you are insinuating that a dealer only needs to sell parts to stay in business and doesn't need the margin on sleds?

Somehow, I doubt that.

At the same time, take in a sled bought in the US and lets see where you end up on the dealers priority list.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you are insinuating that a dealer only needs to sell parts to stay in business and doesn't need the margin on sleds?

Somehow, I doubt that.

At the same time, take in a sled bought in the US and lets see where you end up on the dealers priority list.

No I said parts and service. Selling units is important to meet your dealership quota but is minimal in the large scheme of things for overall profitability. Where I end up on the dealers priority list - who cares.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you really want to support your local dealer - buy parts from them and take your sled there. I support guys that I have a relationship with (eg Summitric just took some of my money last week) but have no problems driving to save money on sled and car purchases. If a local dealer had any loyalty to their buyers they would be aquiring used sleds from the US and passing savings on to the Canadian consumer - you don't see that happening now do you?

dealers cannot legally buy from the us and resell in canada. if they could i am sure they would. but even so take your 2g in savings.
from that 2g take out min 3-400 for fuel as you are leaving from edmonton, now at 1600, take another 100-200 for hotels depending how many days it takes you to go and come back another 100 bucks for food if you go alone. add another extra hun for each additional person. now down to just over 1000 bucks saved. by the time you add wear and tear on vehicle and maint. costs your under 1000 bucks saved and you haven't given yourself anything for your time involved either. say your a tradesperson you wage around 30 perhr.
it will take min 24hrs to get to any dealer in the us so thats another 700 bucks or so. so now you saved about 2 or 300 bucks
not even close to worth it imo. needs to be another 2-3g cheaper to make it worthwhile i think.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I said parts and service. Selling units is important to meet your dealership quota but is minimal in the large scheme of things for overall profitability. Where I end up on the dealers priority list - who cares.

I care, if my sled has sat at the back of the shop while other units are getting serviced. My friends would be riding, I would be sitting at home. Not worth 2000 to me.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to remember that it cost 2.5 to 3% to exchange the money, plus driving costs, plus GST (which is irrelivent if you were buying NEW up here) plus the inspection & import fees. You won't be saving as much but it might be worth the while still.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
On par with US dollar - anyone doing some border shopping?

Here's some pricing $10,300 USD for 2010 Yamaha Nytro MTX brand new.

Canadian price $12,500.

$2,000 Canadian price savings...........worth the drive?????

A trucking company hauling LTL freight would back haul that sled for you cheaper than getting it yourself...just ask for a rate quote.

If your that horny for a Yamahahahaha:d...I'd haggle with these guys. Turbo and warranty. Not exactly what your lookin' for but close enough. Just my two :twocents:

Top Bottom