Does my Sportsman 500 have enough compression?

Sportsman500Rider

Reaction score
so i did a compression test on my 1997 sportsman 500. i just removed the plug and screwed in the gauge and cranked it over with the electric start. The most i got was about 70psi. what is it supposed to be? we might be putting in a new cam, is there any point in rebuilding it, or should i just put the cam in?

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's about all you will see because of the compression release. is the exhaust lobe wiped off? i have had those come through the shop with over 20,000 miles on them and never been cracked.

Sportsman500Rider

Reaction score
I think the exhaust lobe is worn off, because it doesn't have any power as of late, and i took it to the dealer and they said the cams gone. look at my other post on the mud pit chat titled " do i need a camshaft?" and see if that sounds like the prob

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the exhaust lobe is worn off, because it doesn't have any power as of late, and i took it to the dealer and they said the cams gone. look at my other post on the mud pit chat titled " do i need a camshaft?" and see if that sounds like the prob
most likely cam. if the unit is still in good working condition it's worth putting the money into. those year of 500's were tough as tanks.

Top Bottom