Does foreign companies buying into Canada scare anyone else?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dislike our resources being owned by foreign entities. Government should have stopped this long ago. Foreign employees need to stop as well, they are taking jobs away from Canadian citizens.

I think we are getting past the point of selling ourselves to foreigners, if they really want our information/secrets they just steal, China has HUGE resources dedicated to hacking the computers of foreign corporations for just this purpose. They then use this information to undercut western business rendering them unprofitable, this causes all production to be moved to China where they will have a monopoly on the market. Eventually all we will have left is our natural resources, whether we own them or not won't matter, as they will all be sold to foreign countries at "fair market value" to keep what will be left of our economy going.

Unfortunately I see huge changes for Canada in my lifetime, few of them good, I'm just not sure how long it is going to take the majority to also see this, and whether or not it'll be early enough to make a difference.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we are getting past the point of selling ourselves to foreigners, if they really want our information/secrets they just steal, China has HUGE resources dedicated to hacking the computers of foreign corporations for just this purpose. They then use this information to undercut western business rendering them unprofitable, this causes all production to be moved to China where they will have a monopoly on the market. Eventually all we will have left is our natural resources, whether we own them or not won't matter, as they will all be sold to foreign countries at "fair market value" to keep what will be left of our economy going.

Unfortunately I see huge changes for Canada in my lifetime, few of them good, I'm just not sure how long it is going to take the majority to also see this, and whether or not it'll be early enough to make a difference.

interesting point of view... never seen it or thought of it that way... do you think we are selling out our Natural Resources for short term gain????

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
definitely our fearless leaders are trying to make a legacy for themselves without any thought for the future generations. Pretty sad to be honest

interesting point of view... never seen it or thought of it that way... do you think we are selling out our Natural Resources for short term gain????

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
definitely our fearless leaders are trying to make a legacy for themselves without any thought for the future generations. Pretty sad to be honest

Partly. The trouble I see, is if we don't act now in meeting the world needs, someone else will. And then what?? I don't agree with whats going on, but im sure this has to be part of the thought process.
What pisses me off is how we've gone around the world teaching other countries how to farm. Some of which now are direct competion.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I believe we have much more to gain by slowing down production of our natural resources, our resources are worth far more as finished product vs. raw materials. Look at Japan for example, they have no appreciable natural resources yet have become a major economic power in the world, they have done this by buying raw materials from other nations and manufacturing them into high quality finished products for others to buy. This is what Canada needs to do.

Take the Oil and Gas industry for example, if we capped production at current levels and began to refine all products before they left our borders we would see a much better return on our resources. We would have to shift people from the upstream to midstream and downstream sectors but it is possible, and would also create more stable work as gas plants and refineries always require operators and maintenance/construction staff to keep them operational. I think this could be accomplished by significantly increasing royalties on unrefined product to levels that encourage foreign owned oil companies to build refining facilities in Canada. This would also make getting approval for pipelines easer as synthetic crude or refined product pipelines are more generally accepted by the public (think Keystone XL debacle). There is far more to gain by producing less of a high quality product sustainably than quickly pumping it out of the ground for a quick buck today, its been locked in the ground for millions of years it will still be there in a couple hundred more.

Unfortunately they are creating a reputation that non of us would want. Can you imagine what future generations are going to say when we have left absolutely nothing for them? How stupid they will think our generations for having sold our resources cheaply with no savings and no plan for the future, for polluting the environment and contributing to global warming?

Partly. The trouble I see, is if we don't act now in meeting the world needs, someone else will. And then what?? I don't agree with whats going on, but im sure this has to be part of the thought process.
What pisses me off is how we've gone around the world teaching other countries how to farm. Some of which now are direct competion.

I partly agree while disagree at the same time, we have been beaten to the boat in manufacturing sector, we just can't simply compete with low priced labor in China, Thailand, Bangladesh, etc. But other sectors like Fossil Fuels, Agriculture, Forestry, the world will still have demand for, with increasing population and wealth demand for oil will increase, as wealth in 3rd world countries increases they will use more paper products and build more and larger houses increasing demand for our forest products, and as the world population increases grain demand andprices will continue to rise, especially as the Americans continue to believe turning food into fuel is a good practise.

Top Bottom