Does foreign companies buying into Canada scare anyone else?

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be an azz hat but why do we let this happen? Short term pain over long term gain? The dollar more important to some politicans than the country? Maybe im missing something but i'd really like your guys/gals opinions as this isn't an area I know anything about other the my own fears... read the article i found below.

Chinese Supremacy

This article, though aimed at a US audience, gives a scary insight into China's growing economic power.

A Little Known Reality.

June 8, 2013. Source: Michael Snyder, Guest Post

In future China will employ millions of American workers and dominate thousands of small communities all

Over the United States. Chinese acquisition of U.S. Businesses set a new all-time record last year, and it is

On pace to shatter that record this year.

The
Smithfield Foods acquisition is an example. Smithfield Foods is the largest pork producer and processor

In the world. It has facilities in 26 U.S. States and it employs tens of thousands of Americans. It directly owns

460 farms and has contracts with approximately 2,100 others. But now a Chinese company has bought it for

$ 4.7 billion, and that means that the Chinese will now be the most important employer in dozens of rural

Communities all over America.

Thanks in part to our massively bloated trade deficit with
China, the Chinese have trillions of dollars to spend.

They are only just starting to exercise their economic muscle.

It is important to keep in mind that there is often not much of a difference between “the Chinese government”

And “Chinese corporations”. In 2011, 43 percent of all profits in China were produced by companies where the

Chinese government had a controlling interest in.

Last year a Chinese company spent $2.6 billion to purchase AMC entertainment – one of the largest movie theater

Chains in the United States. Now that Chinese company controls more movie ticket sales than anyone else in the world.

But
China is not just relying on acquisitions to expand its economic power. “Economic beachheads” are being

Established all over America. For example, Golden Dragon Precise Copper Tube Group, Inc. Recently broke ground

On a $100 million plant in Thomasville, Alabama. Many of the residents of Thomasville, Alabama will be glad to have

Jobs, but it will also become yet another community that will now be heavily dependent on communist China.

And guess where else Chinese companies are putting down roots?
Detroit. Chinese-owned companies are investing in

American businesses and new vehicle technology, selling everything from seat belts to shock absorbers in retail stores,

And hiring experienced engineers and designers in an effort to soak up the talent and expertise of domestic automakers

And their suppliers. If you recently purchased an “American-made” vehicle, there is a really good chance that it has a

Number of Chinese parts in it. Industry analysts are hard-pressed to put a number on the Chinese suppliers operating in

The United States.

China seems particularly interested in acquiring energy resources in the United States. For example, China is actually

Mining for coal in the mountains of Tennessee. Guizhou Gouchuang Energy Holdings Group spent 616 million dollars

To acquire Triple H Coal Co. In Jacksboro, Tennessee. At the time, that acquisition really didn’t make much news, but now

A group of conservatives in Tennessee is trying to stop the Chinese from blowing up their mountains and taking their coal.

And pretty soon
China may want to build entire cities in the United States just like they have been doing in other countries.

Right now China is actually building a city larger than Manhattan just outside Minsk, the capital of Belarus.

Are you starting to get the picture? China is on the rise. If you doubt this, just read the following:

# When you total up all imports and exports, China is now the number one trading nation on the entire planet.

# Overall, the U.S. has run a trade deficit with China over the past decade that comes to more than 2.3 trillion dollars.

# China has more foreign currency reserves than anyone else on the planet.

# China now has the largest new car market in the entire world.

# China now produces more than twice as many automobiles as the United States does. After being bailed out by

U.S. taxpayers, GM is involved in 11 joint ventures with Chinese companies.

# China is the number one gold producer in the world.

# The uniforms for the U.S. Olympic team were made in China.

# 85% of all artificial Christmas trees the world over are made in China.

# The new WorldTradeCenter tower in New York is going to include glass imported from China.

# China now consumes more energy than the United States does.

# China is now in aggregate the leading manufacturer of goods in the entire world.

# China uses more cement than the rest of the world combined.

# China is now the number one producer of wind and solar power on the entire globe.

# China produces 3 times as much coal and 11 times as much steel as the United States does.

# China produces more than 90 percent of the global supply of rare earth elements.

# China is now the number one supplier of components that are critical to the operation of any national defense system.

# In published scientific research articles China is expected to become number one in the world very shortly.

And what we have seen so far may just be the tip of the iceberg. For now, I will just leave you with one piece of advice -

learn to speak Chinese. You are going to need it !

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unfortunately our governments are selling us out for the short term gain. We need to have more controls on foreign ownership and I don't understand what is the urgency to exploit our natural resources so quickly which requires large sums of funds. Take our time and do it right for our future generations to enjoy.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No need to worry, When it gets real bad a world war between USA and China will straighten everything out.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our government is currently allowing foreign owned companies to buy rights to our natural resources, resources that are owned by CANADIANS not the government, and produce these resources for the gain of their foreign owners, NOT CANADIANS! Sure Canadians are employed along the way, but often times only the bare number necessary for effective operation within Canada, with the majority of high level management be located on foreign soil. These high level positions are often times the highest paid positions within a company, positions that are not given to us Canadians, but to citizens of foreign countries. While Canadians perform the work involved in actual product creation for only a percentage of the products actual worth. Effectively allowing foreigners to profit by riding on the backs of hard working Canadians.

We then allow these resources to be sold to our southern neighbors for less than market value because of ineffective transportation networks that prevent the sale of oil and gas to overseas customers. Which brings up an interesting question, why do we allow environmental groups to stand in the way of industry, but allow huge industrial complexes to be built in which all the profits from the pillaging of our natural resources are sent overseas? So we draw the line at preventing possible environmental damage, but allow the intense production of our non-renewable natural resources, in which future generations will rely on for an income, to continue unabated?

So to answer your question, yes I am scared, terrified in fact, we continue to allow our country to be bought out by foreign interests for less than fair market value. Sure as an Albertan working in the oil and gas industry I enjoy making a decent living, a living very few in the rest of the world get to experience, but a living that is still less than it could be. Much of the work we do in this industry has very high returns on investment, returns that are seen by the oil companies, which often times are partially or fully foreign owned. These companies then have pull within government to help guide legislation and regulation to suite their own interests, or in the case of Chinese companies, the Chinese interest. This is what truly concerns me, much more so than the loss of economic prosperity to other foreign countries.

Last edited:

AirNorth1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www3.telus.net
We had it all here in Canada.
We wanted bigger & bigger paychecks letting our unions break apart our industry's till they all closed shop and moved abroad.
Now strikes are rarely heard of no more with the exception of teachers bus drivers postal workers nurses.

Perhaps in the future China will take care of that for us as well.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
China would crush the US like a bug.

Yup i believe that too... they now have the largest most advanced military in the world or so i hear... and they don't go around trying to save the world... they just keep their money and military at home getting bigger and stronger everyday... i know they just bought two french built air craft carriers... the largest the world has ever seen... you have to wonder why? I guess if i had unlimited money, a country bulging at the seems and a need for resources i didn't have... id start preparing for war too... you know what they say... the best way to prevent war is to prepare for it...

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We wanted bigger & bigger paychecks letting our unions break apart our industry's till they all closed shop and moved abroad.
Now strikes are rarely heard of no more with the exception of teachers bus drivers postal workers nurses.

you too are correct... can it be stopped i for one don't like the thoughts of my children working under Chinnese rules...

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
China would crush the US like a bug.
As far as military to military goes... On the ground is a whole other story. I forget what exactly the statistics are but the US has basically enough guns floating around to arm every man woman and child. And they are patriotic mother fawkers. Could you imagine how effective a 200 plus million person militia could be. Wowzers!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as military to military goes... On the ground is a whole other story. I forget what exactly the statistics are but the US has basically enough guns floating around to arm every man woman and child. And they are patriotic mother fawkers. Could you imagine how effective a 200 plus million person militia could be. Wowzers!

Ya, its a warming thought till you think of the reality behind that scenario... i think the take over will more likely be population growth and slow gov't take over before we know it we're all speaking some other foreign language and are peasants in our own coutry working for Lords because we sold out our rights to everything for a large cheque that has long ago been spent and left us with nothing... those Lords whomever they may be (Chinese or Muslims) will make our current government look like gifts from whatever God you believe in

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Population of USA - 313.9 million
Population of China - 1.351 billion
I'm sure China has a few guns kicking around too.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you would be right. The only way the US could even come close is if they hit with nukes first or they have a huge stockpile of Terminator's :rolleyes:

Population of USA - 313.9 million
Population of China - 1.351 billion
I'm sure China has a few guns kicking around too.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone wishing that sort of thing upon their fellow countrymen can F right off! ;-)

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Myself, I'm hoping that China slowly allows Capitalism to take over and becomes more "westernized", so when they do own everything it will be similar to being owned by the americans, except we will be speaking mandarin.

Top Bottom