Dodge running boards falling off

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has this happened to anyone else? The bolts pulled out the threaded mounts under the rocker panel. (I'll get a pic after daylight. How did you fix it? Different style mounts?Looks like a major pain...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks... If it's a threaded j clip u can change

But if it's like a welded part of the rocker, then ur welding it back up lol

Or should I say dodge is if u have warranty still

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks... If it's a threaded j clip u can change

But if it's like a welded part of the rocker, then ur welding it back up lol

Or should I say dodge is if u have warranty still

40k left on 160k bumper to bumper warranty. I'll call em this am.

Cummins610

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414677417.582697.jpg

It's happened to 4 of our trucks, they need a better system from the factory.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I think they have squish nuts that the bolts go into. Trouble is they are hex shape and pull the squish nuts out of the inner rocker. Makes a mess and wrecks the holes. My guess is thats what happened,

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they have squish nuts that the bolts go into. Trouble is they are hex shape and pull the squish nuts out of the inner rocker. Makes a mess and wrecks the holes. My guess is thats what happened,

How do u fix it?

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say that's a ****ty install from dealer or factory and they probably over tightened the bolts which caused the nutserts to start to spin, once they spin they loose the grip on the hex hole and the repeated weight of stepping on the board just pulls them out. Best would be to have a plate made with nuts welded on the backside and have it fillet welded to the inner rocker.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Dont weld them on..The metal is to thin and they will just rip the inside apart..

There is very little access from the inside to reinforce the mounting area,so you might have to get creative in order to fix her up

rollthecoal

Reaction score
Same thing happened to mine. I think that driving on rought roads shook them loose, tried a couple different ways of fastening them and ended up getting new boards. Willmore and ICI have boards that mount to the body mount as well as the rocker panel. Much better.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure to be the first of many upcoming problems due to the lousy build quality of dodge trucks. Crow all you want about the cummins diesel, but what good is a reliable engine when the rest of the truck is so poorly built that things like this happen?
if they cut corners on something so basic as a fastening system for a running board one wonders where else they cheaped out. No wonder why dodge trucks develop so many nagging little problems as they age when you see crap like this. Good luck.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BlahBlah ya one of mine is loose too. We must drive some pretty rough roads
Sure to be the first of many upcoming problems due to the lousy build quality of dodge trucks. Crow all you want about the cummins diesel, but what good is a reliable engine when the rest of the truck is so poorly built that things like this happen?
if they cut corners on something so basic as a fastening system for a running board one wonders where else they cheaped out. No wonder why dodge trucks develop so many nagging little problems as they age when you see crap like this. Good luck.

Top Bottom