dodge 24 valve

jkrabben

Reaction score
hey i have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 24 valve diesel with a 60 hp chip, cold air intake and straight piped, it has 340000 kms and i want a little more hp, i was wondering if anyone else had a higher km 24 valve with a few more mods and if its safe to add injectors or a tuner with that many kms? thanks

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Auto or Stick?

How much power do you want and do you tow?

I wouldn't be worried about the engine. I'd be more concerned with auto tranny or old worn clutch. The injection pump might might not like a wire tap and you will have to upgrade the supply side if you haven't already. Injection pumps can be had for around $1000 now

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey i have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 24 valve diesel with a 60 hp chip, cold air intake and straight piped, it has 340000 kms and i want a little more hp, i was wondering if anyone else had a higher km 24 valve with a few more mods and if its safe to add injectors or a tuner with that many kms? thanks

I know a couple of guys that have changed injectors the power is increased but so is fuel consumption also you have to watch your egt. It depends what you plan to do if you pull heavy loads alot it might not be right as they will heat up enough to do damage. But for average loads if you are carefull you should be ok. As for kms my buddy did his at around 200k. If you have serviced regularly i would not be concerned to add power with that milage as you should have around 6000 to 7000 hrs which has that eng in its prime still. I see there are injectors for sale here on this site in truck acc you may want to talk to him and see how they worked. Anytime you add power there is a trade off and in this case it is eng life how much depends on you.Hope this helps.

jkrabben

Reaction score
Alright thanks guys, yeah i have seen 24 valve with 6-800000 kms so i figured i would still be safe as far as the engine but just wanted another opinion.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
With that many KM I would do a valve adjust. I do mine every 150,000..It is also a 2001.

I have straight pipe with 60hp chip and have over 280,000.

I would say as long as you adjust valves there is no issue with doing injectors.

Injectors are pricey though. I might just look at adding an adjustable chip.

Way cheaper.

smokindiesel

Reaction score
I've got a 01 with 290 000kms, I run a hot pump, fass, smarty, Was running an edge EZ stacked with the smarty till it got stolen, 90hp injectors 62 phat shaft turbo intake and 4 inch exhast along with EGT boost and feul pressure guages. You shouldn't have issuses adding power if your engine has been taken care of and is in good shape. Adjust the valves and start modding. Get a Fass next, it will help with mileage and power, plus keep your injection pump alive. After the Fass I'd get some guages EGT is the most important Boost is nice and a feul pressure guage is just good insurance that your not starveing the injection pump. Then go with some injectors, i wouldn't recomend anything over 90hp as even 90's will run a little hot with a stock turbo. IF your an auto your trans won't like adding much more power than what you already have, Give NADP a call and put a heavy hualer in that will handle anything you throw at it. If your a standard the cutch will problable take bigger injectors, mine did, but started sliping when i added another tuner. Best up grade is a southbend clutch, any diesel performance shop sells them. PM me if you want any other details I work in a diesel perf shop so and have experence with dodges, own two of them.

smokindiesel

Reaction score
Yup I'm the guy with the green truck. The truck that smoked black real bad last year lol, fixed that for this year.

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't worry about it i got 350 000 now and am just setting up for about 550rwhp. my truck may have a little more blowby then a low km truck but who cares.
someone posted bigger injectors mean less milage, i just installed f1 mach 4's 150hp sticks and got back to back best mpg's. if there good quality they shouldn't hurt mpg's unless there over 150hp.

smokindiesel

Reaction score
I think you bought the best quality injectors I know of. I bought DDPs for my truck, couldn't afford the F1s What kind of mileage do you get with 150's?

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well my milage was never great I usually got 700km for a 100 litres with stock sticks, never really broke 650 with my bd 130's and now can easly get over 700 on highway with the mach 4's. Well see what happens with the big turbo going in haha.

smokindiesel

Reaction score
hmm yea BD injectors are just extrude honed stockers from what i know, not the best for milage. I had a 64.5 mm turbo on last year and it hurt milage, this year i have a 62mm on and it seamed to help but won't really know till sping comes and I take a few road trips. The 62 is definatly hard on tires lol

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was running the garrett powermax stage 2 and now have a gt4094r on the bench its a 67.8 should be fun to spool for a daily driver haha

bushwacker24

Reaction score
I agree with most of what has been said. I have an 01 Cummins w 300,000kms, edge juice w attitude and 125 stix with a garret turbo. Tranny has been built and I love the truck. I would start with a FASS or Airdog fuel pump to supply the injection pump, I had to replace my inj pump at $1400. Then make sure the tranny is set for more performance, billet torque converter and performance valve body. Then have the gauges to monitor the engine to prevent damage. The power bug is a mighty thing, before you know it 400hp and 600+ ft/lbs to the wheels won't be enough to satisfy your wants.

May also look at the gear ratio you run depending on how much you tow. My 3:55's are a little steep for my 5th wheel unless I drive at 120+kms/hr. At 100km/hr I am only running 17-1800 rpm, can be smokey and hot goin up hills.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to valve lash adjustment on Diesel Truck Resource, you may need to be a member to see the pics.

I've got 190,000km on my 24v and frankly have forgotten all about setting the valves. Got a 5000km trip coming next week so I think I know what I'm doing tomorrow...

FAQ

edit: I see the service manual calls for valve lash adjustment at 150,000mi for regular service or 135,000mi (216,000km) for frequent towing

Last edited:

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a question kinda hijacking thread but...im looking at a 99 dodge cummins 24v. has 130aprx km's and it has dual exhaust, afe stage 2 intake, edge juice with attitude, built up tranny...nice looking truck but do you guys think it will be reliable and a good truck? he is askin 11500 but i may trade him my truck and 10g's

so if anyone could let me know what everyone thinks

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a question kinda hijacking thread but...im looking at a 99 dodge cummins 24v. has 130aprx km's and it has dual exhaust, afe stage 2 intake, edge juice with attitude, built up tranny...nice looking truck but do you guys think it will be reliable and a good truck? he is askin 11500 but i may trade him my truck and 10g's

so if anyone could let me know what everyone thinks

I'd be suspicious of the km's, averaging 12,000 km a year ?? Either way that sounds like a decent price IMO.

Top Bottom