24 valve or 12 cummins

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My box is the only part NOT rusty. My doors and rockers are long gone.

im in the exact same boat as you... rockers and inside of doors are shot... my 24 2002 6 speed extra cab is a good truck after i replaced the lift pump with an in the tank automotive style push pump i never had a fuel injectore problem again... but that was a 5k fix...

i don't know how everyone gets such good mileage on their trucks but my 24v i tow a small trialer... atv and sxs with a trunk full of gear... im lucky to be getting 17-18 litres per 100 km on the meter... empty i get about 14... with a small load it eats diesel at a good pace... i only have exhaust 4 inch all the way and cone air filter

i have 12v 1994 with 92 000 km in the garage at home... only problem is it hasn't been started in 6 years and its only a regular cab...

if i could re do the body on the 24 which has 340 000 km on it i'd dump the 12 valve in it and be happy forever... not sure that could even be done but worth looking into...

i love the dodges as the cummins is a great engine but boy has the 24 valve nickle and dimmed me to death over the years....

i read a saying on here once, can't remember who posted it but he said, "i tell everyone i bought a cummins not a dodge"

Last edited:

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

pizalm

Reaction score
i don't know how everyone gets such good mileage on their trucks but my 24v i tow a small trialer... atv and sxs with a trunk full of gear... im lucky to be getting 17-18 litres per 100 km on the meter... empty i get about 14... with a small load it eats diesel at a good pace... i only have exhaust 4 inch all the way and cone air filter

When guys talk about their mileage just assume it's worse than they say. Everyone bullsh!ts a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dodgeram18

Reaction score
My 02 with edge hot unlock and ddp110 sticks stock hy35 and just little wheels I would average 25mpg while being strick on the skinny and the most I ever averaged was 31 mpg hwy in flat Saskatchewan doing 98ish km/h. Once I put the twins on the most I could average was 21-22 mpg but had to keep it in the boost or else bye bye mileage.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With 75hp DDP injectors,65 HP quadzilla chip,cranked up hx-35 stock turbo (to approx34 PSI)
I can suck my fuel preasure gauge down to about 12 PSI.That's running a "stock" lift pump.
Sonethingnuw, I would try a new set of injecters if your MPG is that bad.
And PIZALM, no I'm not b.sing. I have never got less that 21MPG from april to nov.
At approx 120 kph,it actually get's a bit better.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are looking to have a manual trans truck at 400hp, for an occasional tow truck. Buy the 24v. It starts better, drives better, tows better as many have mentioned it is much easier to go from towing heavy to fun empty.

24v head on a 12v block is largely a waste of time, there are 12v aftermarket heads available that will easily outflow the best ported 24v heads out there.

My good friend and owner of the race truck that I crew chief for has a 02 with 900,000km+ on it and is only on the second vp44 and the first one died under 100,000km as the lift pump solution was not widely known back in 02-03. It has a comp box and a 62/65/13 and tows heavy almost every day of its 900,000km life. Great truck.

If you are looking to build a play truck and want cheap horsepower than a 12v is the sbc of the diesel world. I can take a stock p7100 12v and make 700hp for a couple grand. They are simple to work on and dead reliable. However with fixed timing they are not as good of a tow vehicle and are not as driveable. I am sure anyone who has driven one with 5k gsk's can attest to that.

I know that third gen's weren't mentioned, but I will put another vote in for that, I am a common rail guy, they are so much easier to make power (note I didn't say less expensive) on and have so much better driveablity. I am not a huge fan of the third gen chassis, but then again I don't really like the 2nd gen chassis either. You should be able to find one in about that budget too.

I have been playing with these trucks for about 15 years now. The race truck I crew chief for has gone 9.41@152mph in SS trim, and put down over 1600hp on the dyno. I have built about 50 sets of twins, and about 25 cummins engines. I am currently helping a friend with his 27 model t, with a 12v get to 700hp on fuel and 1000hp on the juice. It is a super basic budget build, and has gone 650whp on fuel so far, with a few small changes over the winter, it should be ready to break 700hp this spring. I don't have a diesel shop, I am just an enthusiast with a touch more experience than most.

All of this advice is only worth what you paid for it.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With 75hp DDP injectors,65 HP quadzilla chip,cranked up hx-35 stock turbo (to approx34 PSI)
I can suck my fuel preasure gauge down to about 12 PSI.That's running a "stock" lift pump.
Sonethingnuw, I would try a new set of injecters if your MPG is that bad.
And PIZALM, no I'm not b.sing. I have never got less that 21MPG from april to nov.
At approx 120 kph,it actually get's a bit better.

how much would that cost? How would i know if my injectors are going? thanks for the advise i will look into it!

Top Bottom