Do you ride with a Tether ?

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will NEVER wear a tether wrapped around my wrist again. Always used to, but no more after seeing my son get trapped under his sled after the tether got wrapped around his bars and he couldn't get clear of it going over backwards in a chute. Always goes to the d-ring on my pack now.
Thanks for sharing. A good learning. I have always used on wrist but will hook to jacket now.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what you are saying...tether wouldn't have helped? He was to close for it to help?
Yes, too close for it to pull off from falling off

And with your hands getting eaten up, no hands to pull cord off, if u get what I'm saying, they where busy, unfortunately

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, too close for it to pull off from falling off

And with your hands getting eaten up, no hands to pull cord off, if u get what I'm saying, they where busy, unfortunately

That is why it is on my wrist. Quick pull and it is off.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I was told by the other guy who was with the guy who got hurt... The tether wasnt being worn and would have prevented the injury.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I was told by the other guy who was with the guy who got hurt... The tether wasnt being worn and would have prevented the injury.
It might have when he got dumped, but was right close to tunnel and the cord with stretch a long ways, and in the panic of it, only 100 % from it happening is a Teth-Air, as soon as his hand was off for say set up 5 sec it's dead

That is why it is on my wrist. Quick pull and it is off.
What happens if your hands are jammed up under your body ect, and not enough to pull cord off and u can't pull cord off

What good is it then??

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All my sleds have tethers, if they don't i install one.
A tether on a mountain sled is the same as a beacon on a rider, i won't ride with out and i have a hard time understanding those that do.
Your tether should be attached to a D-ring on your jacket, pants. Kept low where a belt buckle on your pants would be, just above your crotch. LOL
Anywhere else, it can cause issues with entanglement. Tether's don't belong on a wrist.
There is a reason why the WCHA makes it mandatory to wear a tether at their events.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of hillclimb competitors wear on the wrist, a lot less chance of it getting tangled when jumping around on the machine

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of hillclimb competitors wear on the wrist, a lot less chance of it getting tangled when jumping around on the machine

Interesting...cause i hill climbed professionally for 6 years and was sponsored by BRP as one of their competitor. Never seen anyone wear one on the wrist. In fact you are given rules and regs before the event at every event and it is specified that tethers must be attached to a proper fixtures. (D-ring)

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just watched 2 days of jackson hole and lots of riders had on the wrist

Jackson is in the US and fall under a different guide line. I climbed at Jackson and because i was a Canadian under the WCHA organization we wore it as per Canadian regulation.
It seems the US have loose regulations.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Point still stands that guys wear on the wrist because they obviously feel there is less chance of it getting caught on the bars when moving around and sidehilling...

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Point still stands that guys wear on the wrist because they obviously feel there is less chance of it getting caught on the bars when moving around and sidehilling...

With the hours i spend on sleds over the years i never had an issue with getting caught in anything inclueding bars but fair enough. At least wearing it on the wrist is better then not wearing it at all.

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever the case may be always someone disagrees so I think it's safe to say everyone isn't going to agree so if you want to Wear your tether great , smart choice if not so be it go hang with Chris Brandt lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the best of both worlds is a Teth-Air wireless tether

Kills it no matter what, climbing or tree riding

Regular corded ones can stretch too much and still not come off

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been tossed lots from my sled but never got tangled up or under it while still running. Pretty sobering to hear all the stories of guys getting pinned and seriously hurt. Those are life changing injuries. Pretty much playing Russian Roulette if u don't hook up. Thanks to all for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm someone that got hit by a ghost sled in 2011. Would not have happened if the guy was wearing his tether. He hit a drift and got bucked off after hitting the bars hard. His sled traveled about 100 yards from where he fell off with the throttle pinned. I had just slowed down to stop and his sled hit me from behind directly into the back of my left leg. Didn't even see it coming.

Took 2 years physio to recover, and I will always have some long term issues to deal with.

I'm honestly VERY lucky since we were in Hyder and it was overcast (day one of a 10 day trip). I highly doubt that a chopper would have been able to come get me if the injury from catching a 500lb. sled was worse. 18" to the right and it would have hit me square in the back.

I get pretty angry when I see someone without a tether on and it amazes me that some of the manufacturers still don't have factory installed tethers. It also amazes me that the excuses are still that "it didn't come with one" or "it's too hard to install one". Anyone that thinks it's too hard - I'd be happy to install for you.

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 incidents within the last month with a rider losing his hand/arm and another losing fingers. The hand/arm incident happened to be a friends 22yr old brother which was already mentioned in this post. What more does it take for it to be the LAW for all manufactures to come out with these from factory?? Now if a women can sue Mcdonalds for her coffee being to hot an burning her then why couldn't someone not sue for losing a hand cause their sled did not come with a tether??? I was one of the guys who never wore it until a month ago. Annoying or not it's like a seat belt. You get use to it and their there for your own good.

Top Bottom