DO YOU FOG YOUR ENGINE WHEN PARKING THE SLED FOR THE SEASON???

WHAT DO YOU DO TO YOUR SLED BEFORE PARKING FOR THE SEASON???

• DRAIN THE FUEL TANK & CARBS

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • DRAIN THE COOLANT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FOG THE ENGINE

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • DRAIN THE CHAINCASE

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • PLUG THE EXHAUST(PREVENT CRITTERS FROM GETTING IN)

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • SUSPEND THE SUSPENSION(ON BLOCKS?)

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • LOOSEN THE TRACK AND ALL SPRING TENSIONS

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • DRAIN THE INJECTION OIL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GREASE THE COMPLETE CHASSIS

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • NONE OF THE ABOVE

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ISN'T IT "FALSE BRENELLING"??? YOU SOUND LIKE A METALLURGICAL STUDENT/GRADUATE???
Kind of getting of track here, actually its FALSE BRINELLING and is not as critical as BRINELLING you can have FALSE BRINELLING in brand new bearings right off the shelf, This kind of brinelling is not load related and is caused external vibrations, on a stationary bearing, this vibration could be caused by traffic on you street. Because there is no EHD film and metal to metal contact with the rotating members and raceway.
When a bearing is rotating there is a film of oil between the balls or rolling members and bearing race, is is called a elasto-hydro-dynamic film, just like a car hydroplaneng on water
I just took a blower apart that was brand new and the bearing had FALSE BRINELLING from shipping, and I took the blower apart because the rotor was not centered properly right from the factory. Once i pulled the bearing off the shaft it was no good because I brinelled it, so i was curious and cut the bearing in two. FALSE BRINELLING was alot easier to see than the brinelling I caused.

Brinelling is caused when a load is applied to a ball bearing that exceeds the elastic limits of the steel and the raceways are permanently deformed. Brinelling creates measurable dents at each ball location similar to the deformation caused by a Brinell Hardness Tester. This type of damage can occur quite easily if proper care is not taken. High energy impacts (from hammers and smash-ups), improper bearing handling and incorrect spindle assembly can all damage bearings. Remember that we are talking about bearings with raceways with roundness measured in millionths of an inch. You might not even realize the damage has occurred except for increases in vibration and non-repetitive run-out

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and i've fogged all my polaris sleds, but my doo doesn't have a fuel shut off so i guess i'll drain most of the fuel add a little stablizer and run her till she almost quits and give her some fogging oil and put some in the cyl, and i'll rotate the engine but not start it every so often

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
fuel stablizer....forgot about that, yep I do that each year as well....
Oh and i've fogged all my polaris sleds, but my doo doesn't have a fuel shut off so i guess i'll drain most of the fuel add a little stablizer and run her till she almost quits and give her some fogging oil and put some in the cyl, and i'll rotate the engine but not start it every so often

Top Bottom