DO YOU FOG YOUR ENGINE WHEN PARKING THE SLED FOR THE SEASON???

WHAT DO YOU DO TO YOUR SLED BEFORE PARKING FOR THE SEASON???

• DRAIN THE FUEL TANK & CARBS

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • DRAIN THE COOLANT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FOG THE ENGINE

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • DRAIN THE CHAINCASE

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • PLUG THE EXHAUST(PREVENT CRITTERS FROM GETTING IN)

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • SUSPEND THE SUSPENSION(ON BLOCKS?)

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • LOOSEN THE TRACK AND ALL SPRING TENSIONS

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • DRAIN THE INJECTION OIL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GREASE THE COMPLETE CHASSIS

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • NONE OF THE ABOVE

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
WHAT DO YOU DO TO PREPARE YOUR SLED TO PARK FOR THE SEASON??

JUST CURIOUS WHAT YOU DO IN PREPARATION TO PARK YOUR SLED FOR THE SEASON...... DO YOU FOG THE ENGINE, OR DRAIN THE CHAINCASE, OR DRAIN THE FUEL TANK, OR DRAIN THE CARBS???? WHAT DOO YOU DOO????:confused: THE ABOVE POLL IS MULTIPLE VOTES... IF ANY ADDITIONS, OR SPECIAL PROCEDURES, WHAT DO YOU DOO????

Last edited:
  • Staff

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
what do you mean by 'fogg' and why loosen the track off. i nder stand suspending it off the ground

USING SPECIAL FOGGING SPRAY OR OIL INTO THE CYLINDERS TO PREVENT ANY CORROSION/RUSTING IN THE CYLINDERS/RINGS...... LOOSEN THE TRACK OFF TO PREVENT THE TRACK FROM STRETCHING AND CAUSING UNDO STRESS ON SUSPENSION COMPONENTS, ETC.

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: WHAT DO YOU DO TO PREPARE YOUR SLED TO PARK FOR THE SEASON??

I've been told and found that if you pull the oil cable (engage the pump) you will supply more than enough injector oil to the cylinders to coat all surfaces. This procedure is completed just before you shut the engine down for the summer along with draining the fuel tank and carbs, draining & changing the chain case oil, greasing the sled, lifting the suspenion as Ric identified.

JUST CURIOUS WHAT YOU DO IN PREPARATION TO PARK YOUR SLED FOR THE SEASON...... DO YOU FOG THE ENGINE, OR DRAIN THE CHAINCASE, OR DRAIN THE FUEL TANK, OR DRAIN THE CARBS???? WHAT DOO YOU DOO????:confused: THE ABOVE POLL IS MULTIPLE VOTES... IF ANY ADDITIONS, OR SPECIAL PROCEDURES, WHAT DO YOU DOO????

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would be the purpose of draining the chain case without refilling it?

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did Fog my engines before but I found it was harder to start them again. Now I just put some oil down the cylinders if its going to sit for a long time. I put the plugs back in and pull it over a few times( no plug wires) so the oil covers the walls. If I don`t oil it I go out and start the sled every two-three weeks. My sled sits for two to four weeks in the winter waiting for the next ride so it shouldn`t matter in the summer time. I keep my tank full to keep moisture out or I`ll dump gasline anti freeze in the tank before riding. I started my quad about a month ago and it start fine. It was parked back in Oct 07.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont fog, I make a point of starting my sled once or twice a month and turn the track a bit. I also suspend the rear end and I put Stubila in the fuel. IMO draining fuel could dry out your carb seals etc. I find this way makes it way easier to start in the fall, no oil to burn off the plugs. Two pulls and ready to go.

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The same reason you change you differential and transmission fluids....

The oil does get dirty and there is wear and tear on the components... Secondly, since the case is open you can look it over and check for abnormal wear and spot potential problems, tighten up the chain if its to loose....

I change this oil once per year. If I've bought a sled, I change the oil after the break-in period too.

One more thing I do is; Remove the exhaust valves and clean them up with brake cleaner and fine steel wool. There is a layer of burnt oil coating them, the amount of carbon build-up depends on the injector oil used.

I try and do everything I can to keep the sled running in the best possible condition.... just good ole fashion preventive maintenance..

What would be the purpose of draining the chain case without refilling it?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try to start my sled once a month in the off season and bring it up to running temp. No need for fuel stabilizers or fogging when you do this as I haven't had a problem with sleds at start of winter yet....yet is about 27 years. Pulling chain case cover for oil change and yearly inspection deffinatly a good idea especially when you are getting buildup on dipstick magnet.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with starting it frequently, as it keeps the bearings on the crank from sitting in the same spot for months on end asweell. And believe it or not they can actually develope flat spots from sitting to long in the same position.:D

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with what has been said on here.. And it's good to see people looking at preventative maintanace.. It has been something i've always done with my bikes and sleds. They've never let me down due to a failure except for ones that have been my fault..LOL.. Crash... Rocks.. The time that i'd fogg an engine is if you aren't going to be around for a couple of months and not ble to start it then i'd lightly fogg the motor and drain the fuel out of the carbs so it cant go "green"..

800RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys have had a few :beerchug: and :shots: while working in your garage then start your sled up during the summer just to hear what it sounds like? :D

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope.... cause then I'd need to refill the tank, start it... let it run.... rev it up.... then re-fog the engine..... drain the tank....

How many of you guys have had a few :beerchug: and :shots: while working in your garage then start your sled up during the summer just to hear what it sounds like? :D

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
....or to smell the 2 stroke smoke.....Probably just about everyone with a garage..:D

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well usually when deano does this we need not mow the LAWN for the rest of the summer either:D;)

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with starting it frequently, as it keeps the bearings on the crank from sitting in the same spot for months on end asweell. And believe it or not they can actually develope flat spots from sitting to long in the same position.:D

"false burnelling" wear from vibes and prolonged lack of movement! thought id throw that in, dont mind me!!:D

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I do at end of season:

Wash it at the car wash.
I grease it to force the water out of the joints.
If I'm in the mood I change the chain case oil (it's usually got water in it at the end of season from washing it throughout the season).
Generally look it over and fix anything that needs fix'n and check adjustments.
Drain most of the fuel out (leave about a 1/2 gallon in).
Add fuel stabilizer to the fuel. Run it long enough to get the stabilizer in the carbs.
Take the air box off and squirt fogging spray in the carbs till it's smoking good and shut if off.
Disconnect the battery.
Put it away in a shed, put the cover on it.
I will usually pull up on the sled to extend the suspension but I don’t block anything.
I don't worry about it again till fall.

I use the bombi fogging spray and stabilizer. Going on 5 seasons with the initial stuff I bought.

In the fall, usually gotta put new plugs in it and put some fuel down the plug holes to get it to start (smokes real bad due to the fogging oil; and of course the flash point is lower thus the gas in the hole).
I put some gas line and more fuel in it too before I start it up.
It's pretty much ready to ride then.
I will usually put the battery tender on it before first ride.

The fuel stabilizer works great. Should have started using it years ago. Use it with mowers and motorbikes now too. It will actually clean residue out of the carbs as it sits in there off season. Cheap to use when you are only treating half a gallon or so. I don't leave the tank full like some, why let all that fuel go bad and have to use more stabilizer? Plastic tanks don't rust anyway and the gas line takes care of the water at the start of the season.

Top Bottom