Do I need a boondocker controller?

mudderbike

Reaction score
Well my friends at the cat dealership say an efi controller is needed to run a Y pipe in an M1000. When I had my 07 M8, it did not need controller for the Y pipe. What do you guys think.

RTTTTed

Reaction score
No controller on my Y piped and canned 2008 M1000. I did get the ECU firmware updated though.

These sleds are made to run lean in the MIDDLE. Idle and WOT are fine.

My buddy just added an Attitude Box and installed it couple days ago. So far it makes it run too fat and load up with any settings increase. Seems that the "burbble" in the midrange has gone away with the box installed and using stock settings ...

Gord's (AC dealer in Williams Lake) said they have several customers running Y pipes and cans with no other mods. No problems.

Ted

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have instructions for how to install and set up a boondocker box? I have contacted boondocker and they seem to have better things to do.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a 2009 M1000 D&D y-pipe and can. No Problems! On the 2007 m1000 I was told you had to run a fuel controler with a y-pipe? Not sure what year yours is? I have had no issues! Also spend some time on clutching and get them dialed in good! I run a Terra Alps helix and a Gold A/C spring with Dalton adjustable weights.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a 2009 M1000 D&D y-pipe and can. No Problems! On the 2007 m1000 I was told you had to run a fuel controler with a y-pipe? Not sure what year yours is? I have had no issues! Also spend some time on clutching and get them dialed in good! I run a Terra Alps helix and a Gold A/C spring with Dalton adjustable weights.

My '07 developed a leap pop at mid to hi RPM with the Y pipe and no controller. Went back to the stock Y pipe and the lean pop went away.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mins an 07, boondocker just emailed me instructions as I acquired this control box.

I put on a Bikeman pipe and can. Put on a 1200 Y pipe as the Bikeman had holes for EGT. I guess I will get the holes welded and put it on.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to test the sled yesterday with a bikeman y, pipe and can. The boondocker keeps coming up mag side fault. From what I have researched that means the boondocker needs to be sent back and get reprogrammed. So with all the above conversation I assume its safe that I can run the sled withoput the boondocker if I take the pipe off? Can I leave the Y and Can?

Hoping for a ride today!!!!

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to test the sled yesterday with a bikeman y, pipe and can. The boondocker keeps coming up mag side fault. From what I have researched that means the boondocker needs to be sent back and get reprogrammed. So with all the above conversation I assume its safe that I can run the sled withoput the boondocker if I take the pipe off? Can I leave the Y and Can?
MOST M1000's can be run without a fuel controller with a y-pipe & can, but NOT ALL OF THEM. I have found that fuel pressure varies from sled to sled by up to 8 psi on the M-series. If you have higher fuel pressure, you will be fine. If you are on the lower end of the range (38psi), you may burn it down.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your going to put a fuel controller on you should spend the extra money a put a set of pyros on just to be safe.I have 09 1000 with all slp exhaust and intake on it.When I first put it on I had a PC 3 on for close to 800 miles with no problems until I clipped a tree in Mcbride then it kept eating the pto piston!After 3 times at the shop I installed some koso gauges and the pto piston was over 100 degrees hotter!Ripped out the PC3 and installed a PC5 and it fixed the problem.Apparently hitting a tree hard enough will give the box a headache!LOL!Gauges are cheap insurance because you'll know what's happening before it's too late!

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your going to put a fuel controller on you should spend the extra money a put a set of pyros on just to be safe.I have 09 1000 with all slp exhaust and intake on it.When I first put it on I had a PC 3 on for close to 800 miles with no problems until I clipped a tree in Mcbride then it kept eating the pto piston!After 3 times at the shop I installed some koso gauges and the pto piston was over 100 degrees hotter!Ripped out the PC3 and installed a PC5 and it fixed the problem.Apparently hitting a tree hard enough will give the box a headache!LOL!Gauges are cheap insurance because you'll know what's happening before it's too late!

agreed. did similar mods on my 07 and squeaked the pto piston first time out. Gauges will give you a heads up if you are running lean, sled will bog if you're to rich(temps will also be down). As the boondocker manual states, always start rich and lean out. gauges give you enough time to reconfigure the boondocker without a burn down on a lean condition. You basically need to use your gauges to run the safest temps possible. Mid range is tough to dial in regardless. every machine is different due to the factory fuel pressure variances. try to dial in the box while you're in your regular sledding area, or set up different maps for trail, mountain, low altitude et. The EFI's do compensate for altitude, but it seems it is not a straight line. engine loading also affects the setup.

Be prepared to spend at least a couple hours fugging with it as your buddies are pounding out the fresh.

or say screw it and put aside 1000 for a new top end.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no desire to tune for hours. I only get a handfull of rides in a year. If the boondocker box requires that much tuning the whole works goes back to the shed. I am reading that a lot of people run a Y and can without a box, so I may run that setup.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was my thoughts on my 09 M8 with an RKT head and full slp exhaust. I didn't want to tune to i put stock exhaust back on. I still used the BD box but it was super easy to tune. I had to add fuel in a few spots for low elevation and only a bit in the high rpm range when in the mountains.

Top Bottom