Dirty Pictures

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a compact/slim high qaulity camera for sledding/qaudding still pictures. Have a 5x sony cybershot , is there a better one that you guys have used. Slim and easy to use are important as is qaulity pics.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I just bought a Pentex Optio W30 7.1 Megapixles, this is a slick camera, its Waterproof to 3m below the surface, dust proof, mudproof, it has alot of functions and video modes, you can film underwater, see my video's in the Snow and Mud Tube section.
When my camera's all muddy or wet it doesn't mater. I had for 3 months and its the absolute best camera I have ever had. It was under $300 at London Drugs then you buy a additional battery a 2mb card and $370... There is a difference between waterproof and water resistant, buy the wrong camera and you can pile it with all of my old camera's

RON

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Canon A540and its about 200.00 and I think its as good as it gets in the price range.
catmando!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I'm as Canon fan and after rolling my sled down the mountain with my camera's in the handle bar bag (50 rolls) and they both still worked, I upgraded to a newer version this year. Works Great.
I would suggest staying away from the CD and Hard Drive versions if your planning on banging them around at all. It's to easy to knock the lazer or writer out of alignment.
My 2 cents worth.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm as Canon fan and after rolling my sled down the mountain with my camera's in the handle bar bag (50 rolls) and they both still worked, I upgraded to a newer version this year. Works Great.
I would suggest staying away from the CD and Hard Drive versions if your planning on banging them around at all. It's to easy to knock the lazer or writer out of alignment.
My 2 cents worth.

As a computer "geek" I have to agree with the bunny..... stay away from camera's with CD or DVD writing on board, however the hard drive ones are made to take somewhat of a beating. Its not going to stand up to a sled rolling 50 times down a hill or anything like that, but todays hard drives do take a pretty good beating. Hard drive camera's tend to be more for video than for stills though, are very small and easy to carry. If you're taking one onto the hill carry it in your INSIDE pocket or in your backpack, not in your handlebar bag.

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm still disappointed. I was expecting something TOTALLY different from this thread...:cool:

tekim

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
If I were looking at a hard drive for QUADING OR SLEDDING then I would investigate the Extended Warranty option...only if it covered servicing though.
And your right, they shouldn't be in the handle bad bag, but for me that the place to be...I wouldn't suggest inside the coat because if your sweating the camera may shut down due to moisture, I've had that happen before.
Hard drive camera's tend to be more for video than for stills though, are very small and easy to carry. If you're taking one onto the hill carry it in your INSIDE pocket or in your backpack, not in your handlebar bag.

GRD

Reaction score
I think you probably sweat more than the average snow & mud member!:rollinglaugh:

If I were looking at a hard drive for QUADING OR SLEDDING then I would investigate the Extended Warranty option...only if it covered servicing though.
And your right, they shouldn't be in the handle bad bag, but for me that the place to be...I wouldn't suggest inside the coat because if your sweating the camera may shut down due to moisture, I've had that happen before.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tyler is the camera R.K. talks about the kind you reccomend, that shat you talked about went way over my head. .............................. Temkin made you look !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sledbunny you need R.K.'s camera it will work submerged in 3m of body fluids. Do you guys have and use zoom and how much , seen a few with 10x

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Tyler is the camera R.K. talks about the kind you reccomend, that shat you talked about went way over my head. .............................. Temkin made you look !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sledbunny you need R.K.'s camera it will work submerged in 3m of body fluids. Do you guys have and use zoom and how much , seen a few with 10x

Something like Ron's would be good yes. I never got to play with it at the campout so I'm not sure the zoom capabilities of it, but I'm sure if you look it up online you will get all the information you need about it and more. There's no need to spend $1000's on a camera to just drop it in the snow, so I personally would invest in a waterPROOF camera yes.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an Olympus Stylus 720sw its shock proof, and waterproof 7.1 megapixels, and 15x zoom I have used it lots sledding and quadding and never had any issues check it out you won't be disapointed!:D

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I use zoom a lot, however the more you zoom the more you camera shakes, I carry a monopod in themountains to do long shots.
Here are some examples of my camera from this year:

Mine is not waterproof and not too expensive becuase it's not forever. My last Video Camera lasted 8 years though and a ton of trips to the mountains.
hope that helps.

Last edited:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a small digital video cam for this winter. Then the wrecks and not so graceful dismounts can be shared with the wives and kids when we get home. Maybe then we'll get a little pity for how stiff and sore we are..............NOT!!!:D:D

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Nothing better than a wreck on video to get everyone laughing, that for sure!!!
I'm looking to pick up a small digital video cam for this winter. Then the wrecks and not so graceful dismounts can be shared with the wives and kids when we get home. Maybe then we'll get a little pity for how stiff and sore we are..............NOT!!!:D:D

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I found any old digital camera will work fine for general outdoor shots of quadding and sledding, unless you spend more time takin pics than sledding then sure it justified. Don't go buying a nice SLR for everyday run of the mill shots I have seen seenery shots taken with dispoable and the same pics taken with a $400 pocket digital and you almost could tell the difference. Knowing how to use the camera to it's full potential is another thing, and if you have the time to set up the camera for every shot rattle off 300 pics to get the one perfect most of us don't. The most used feature will be point and click and action so you can save $ by not having all the bells and whistles
IMHO Buy a cheap camera and a mermory stick then if you do wreck it you not out much
These are taken with a $89(boxing day price) camera

100_0088.jpg

100_1070.jpg

100_0975.jpg

P1010528.jpg

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm still disappointed. I was expecting something TOTALLY different from this thread...:cool:

tekim

I'm with ya on this one tekim..........Where's the pics LOL!
catmando!
See if I can find a dirty one to get the ball rollin!

Attachments

• IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 101

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with ya on this one tekim..........Where's the pics LOL!
catmando!
See if I can find a dirty one to get the ball rollin!

Now we're talking!! (sort of:D!)

Attachments

• DSC02546 (Large).jpg
    DSC02546 (Large).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC02554 (Large).jpg
    DSC02554 (Large).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 107
Top Bottom