Dirt Bike Repair Question

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking to sell my wife's bike (Late 90's DR 200) and want to have it working right before I sell it.

I am having a small issue that I can't seem to figure out. I have had the carb / fuel tank apart a million times and can't seem to find any problems but the issue persists.

It idles fine but gains RPM's (like 3000) just sitting there and then idles back down on its own to a proper idle for a while, then it takes off again. I am thinking there maybe is an air leak somewhere resulting in higher RPM's but I am kinda stumped. I sprayed a little starter fluid around the carb and the boots and got nothing so I am thinking that my air leak theory is not correct.

Any ideas? I gotta think it is a carb issue but I am stumped.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like 1 of 2 things

1. crack in the boot after the carb leaking air and leaning the bike out to much
or
2. idle is too lean.

a lean idle can cause the sporadic idling you are seeing

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it hangs (blip the throttle and it stays revved up for a few seconds and then suddenly comes back down) then the idle may be too high. Turn the idle down a little bit at a time and keep blipping the throttle to see if the condition improves. If you've turned the idle down to the point where it completely dies when you let off the throttle and it still hangs, then go up a size on the pilot jet and try again. This worked on my wifes 150r, I know the dr doesnt have a pumper carb but it still might work for you.

Top Bottom