directions to forrester

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we are gonna be heading to radium for the weekend of jan 24/25. we want to ride forrester, but have never been there, so we need directions from town. how far up the road is the staging area, and is it fairly obvious where the trail is that leads up to the alpine???? all those good things and any other pointers that you guys might have would be greatly appreciated! :beer:

diggers

Reaction score
check out Radium Hot Springs BC Canada Travel Accommodations Tourism Activities click on area maps,then click on snowmobile maps u`ll get a map of there areas.

check this out in forester jam 3rd thread. last year the esso had trail maps and passes
staging area is down by the mill. use the dogled staging area on westside. the trail head is easy to find. there are some avy paths that you have to pass near the top of the trial before the gas drop 40ish i think. stay off the glacier. toby creek and the sled rental equipment in invermere where really helpful with info

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Head through the 4way stop and down Forster Landing Rd, turn left just before actually getting down to the mill. Follow this road for awhile (7-8k) until you get to a 4way stop intersecting WestSide road and Horsethief Creek Rd. You go right onto westside to get to the DogLeg Lake staging area. (Easiest, and best for big trailers) DogLeg is about 7ish kms from the turnoff, you can't miss it- it's a big open field at this point and very obvious. The trail is marked from there on and pretty straight forward to get to the riding area. Once you get to the 'gas drop' you're very close to the cabin and the enty into the riding area. (You can't take gas into this area, so it get's dropped off prior to entering the meadows.) Start to watch for avy paths as you get further up the trail and into the riding area. A few avy paths on the way in, but there will be some dangerous areas up at Thunderwater and Whirlpool. You'll get to these at the far end of the meadow and up a big hill...you'll be able to get directions to these areas once you are up there! As 'diggers' said - Stay off the Catamount and North Star Glaciers- they are off limits and they are really watching this year as they are considering taking this riding area from the club if they can't keep people off them. There's still some goofs that think it's part of the riding area-don't be one of them!

You can go also go straight through the stop at Westside Rd intersection onto Horsethief Rd for a few kms, and turn right onto Forster Creek Rd and there is another staging area around the 17k on Forster Ck Rd. They aren't plowing this road, so it may be better to stage at DogLeg. This road can get a little 'sketchy'.

Hope this helps...enjoy your rides!

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Head through the 4way stop and down Forster Landing Rd, turn left just before actually getting down to the mill. Follow this road for awhile (7-8k) until you get to a 4way stop intersecting WestSide road and Horsethief Creek Rd. You go right onto westside to get to the DogLeg Lake staging area. (Easiest, and best for big trailers) DogLeg is about 7ish kms from the turnoff, you can't miss it- it's a big open field at this point and very obvious. The trail is marked from there on and pretty straight forward to get to the riding area. Once you get to the 'gas drop' you're very close to the cabin and the enty into the riding area. (You can't take gas into this area, so it get's dropped off prior to entering the meadows.) Start to watch for avy paths as you get further up the trail and into the riding area. A few avy paths on the way in, but there will be some dangerous areas up at Thunderwater and Whirlpool. You'll get to these at the far end of the meadow and up a big hill...you'll be able to get directions to these areas once you are up there! As 'diggers' said - Stay off the Catamount and North Star Glaciers- they are off limits and they are really watching this year as they are considering taking this riding area from the club if they can't keep people off them. There's still some goofs that think it's part of the riding area-don't be one of them!

You can go also go straight through the stop at Westside Rd intersection onto Horsethief Rd for a few kms, and turn right onto Forster Creek Rd and there is another staging area around the 17k on Forster Ck Rd. They aren't plowing this road, so it may be better to stage at DogLeg. This road can get a little 'sketchy'.

Hope this helps...enjoy your rides!
thanks, that's exactly what i was looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer::beer::beer:

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will the 'Gas-Drop' area be clearly marked? How come you cant pack gas past that point?

This may be a stupid question as i have never ridden near a glacier, but will the glaciers have signs like the national parks do to stay off them or out of the area? I am a responsible rider and even though its not my backyard i dont want to F it up for my fellow brother riders who do ride here regularly.

:beer:

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gas drop is obvious. The trail narrows out (small bridge?) and there's a lean-to shed thing there. There will also be stashed red gas cans around. It's an environmentally sensitive area, so hauling gas is not permitted. You will see guys ignore it- that's but not wise. I think maybe you can be fined?

There is signage marking the glacier- moreso 'no sled' signs. They're a bit small but visible. The glaciers are tendered to a local heli ski operation, no motorized vehicles. They're also a bit unsafe as the bottom can drop out on you! They are to the south west end of Forster, whereas the Whirlpool and Thunderwater Lakes are up top, more to the Northwest end. There will be locals up there that can help you out. The cabin is right when you get into the meadows, usually someone around there with some knowledge. You head straight through the meadows to the far end and hang a left to get up and over to the lakes. Can be a knarly run in bad viz!
If I can track down a map/link showing the restricted areas I'll post it on here...

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gas drop is obvious. The trail narrows out (small bridge?) and there's a lean-to shed thing there. There will also be stashed red gas cans around. It's an environmentally sensitive area, so hauling gas is not permitted. You will see guys ignore it- that's but not wise. I think maybe you can be fined?

There is signage marking the glacier- moreso 'no sled' signs. They're a bit small but visible. The glaciers are tendered to a local heli ski operation, no motorized vehicles. They're also a bit unsafe as the bottom can drop out on you! They are to the south west end of Forster, whereas the Whirlpool and Thunderwater Lakes are up top, more to the Northwest end. There will be locals up there that can help you out. The cabin is right when you get into the meadows, usually someone around there with some knowledge. You head straight through the meadows to the far end and hang a left to get up and over to the lakes. Can be a knarly run in bad viz!
If I can track down a map/link showing the restricted areas I'll post it on here...
good info, thanks!!!!!!!!!!

GRD

Reaction score

Thanks for the info... Been in there once, I didn't know that you had to drop your gas....

SnowDog

Reaction score
Where exactaly are Catamount and Northstar Glacier? I have been to Forrester several times but have never seen the signs, have been told you have to look hard to find the signs, maybe that has changed this year, as we have not been there this year...yet.

When you leave the cabin heading through the meadows to go towards the back of the meadow to Thunderhead, approx half way throgh the meadows if you turn left and go up a couple steep little climbs and than kinda keep to your left, is this the glaciers to stay off ? is this is the closed area. A good map of the area up top would be nice, showing where the cabin is and the closed area etc.

rapptorracing

Reaction score
yes that is right, about halfway down the valley towards the headwall up on the left is the access to the glaciers which are reserved for ski touring and mountaineering. You are also not to pass over the right side of the valley into Mclean lake area.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i believe the signs say you need to drop your gas at the shed. i'm pretty sure this is the water reseviour for the town of radium, and so they'd rather not have any gas leaking into the lake/creek and that is why it is environmentaly sensitive.
the shed is filled with fire wood for the cabin, you can't miss it.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, as stated above. Gas drop is at the the little bridge. If they are able to get the groomer through the creek then watch for the signs, because the trail won't really end at this point.

Catamount and Northstar glaciers can be looked up on google or you can talk to the local club and they will tell you where not to ride. A few sledders have given the rest of us a black eye in this area, don't add fuel to the fire. Stay off the glaciers and no ride areas please.

Trail last year was awesome!!! Watch the road in to the staging area. From the 4-way stop it had some big ruts in it last time I was there.

As TamDoo said, climb onto Thunder at the end of the meadows can be very intimidating, especially if you have never been up it before. Lots of times I have seen sleds come ghost riding out of the fog..........try and hook up with someone who has done it before at the bottom of the hill there, they can point you in the right direction (literally :D). Its a steep little climb and icy at times depending on weather. If its flat light you can get up there and not realize just how steep it is! There is lots of area to play in the meadows though too.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here's the closure map
thanksgiving029.jpg

thanksgiving028.jpg

gas drop area
thanksgiving027.jpg

Last edited:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's ok.... it was only waste deep last weekend in the meadows:d
no new snow this week, probably pounded out by now.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of coming to forester and bringing my wife but she is quite new to the mountains and I have never been to Forester before, is there any good guide operations around to use that isn't just going to be a trail ride but actually get to some meadows?

Thanks for the info

drscotch

Reaction score
I am thinking of coming to forester and bringing my wife but she is quite new to the mountains and I have never been to Forester before, is there any good guide operations around to use that isn't just going to be a trail ride but actually get to some meadows?

Thanks for the info

Call Toby Creek Adventures up at Panorama, they run guided tours all over the valley.

Top Bottom