Dilemma.. or does it really matter?

Mrlake

Reaction score
Hey guys, i haven't been on in a while...

School has gotten in the way and lot's of studying(senior highschool). I am 16 years old and i recently have been looking at quads and dirt bikes. But i am always stuck in this dilemma of which i would rather like to ride... I dont have the money right now. But i am getting a job and will be buying a used machine. I live in Surrey, BC and i am in proximity of tons of trails ( via 2-4 hours away).

I like the quads because:
-Carry lot's of stuff
-Better for longer rides
- Good for mud
- Can take 2 people
- Can go on the awesome trails ( scenery trails in Kelowna and kootenays...) really rocky in which dirt bikes can't always survive on
- I could use for work on my property/ diverse situations

I like dirt bikes because:
-Fast (;))
-Easier to take with ( on trips doesnt require as much space on trailers etc..)
-Doesn't use as much gas (i think...)
-Better for hill climbing
-Fun to rip around on
-Can go more places than quads
( im pretty sure i would get a 2 stroke bike 125cc)

Now what would u guys recommend??? I have ridden a 150crf Honda, Suzuki 100cc, Kawasaki Prairie 360 and a Honda Rincon/

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're young you will probably have more buddies with bikes. There is some really good track and single track riding in the Fraser Valley (Popkum, McNutt etc). I would say go for the bike.

Mrlake

Reaction score
ok thxs for the reply yea im probably leaning towards that too, rm or yz or kx 125 seems good for me ;D

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It all depends on your style. Are you into speed, jumps, and just generally a dare devil? If you are I'd pick the bike or race quad. Otherwise I would take the work horse quad to carry stuff for camping trips and such.

brent n

Reaction score
really comes down to what u want to do with it for nice rides with great views like in the kelowna and kootney area i would say quad i had a 450x when i lived there and was wishing for a quad so many times if u are looking for something just to ride track or open fire roads then a bike is great i know for camping and tight trails i find a quad better. but if u do go to a bike a 125 will get slow quick get a 250 thumper imo

SRT

Reaction score
Get a dirt bike. Then in winter put a Timbersled Kit on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike_s

Reaction score
I had both at one point, what I found is that quads suck on anything but the most maintained trails. They ride rougher than a bike.I was generally more tired and sore after a day riding a quad than a bike. If I could only have one, for all around riding, it would be a bike.

Sent From God Knows Where...

brent n

Reaction score
I had both at one point, what I found is that quads suck on anything but the most maintained trails. They ride rougher than a bike.I was generally more tired and sore after a day riding a quad than a bike. If I could only have one, for all around riding, it would be a bike.

what kind of quad were u riding? i take are quads into place a bike won't make it theres something to be said about have 4 wheels under u in some situations. and living on the "wet" coast (grew up in van i know it rains lots there) playing the mud on a quad race or 4x4 is more fun then on a bike

mike_s

Reaction score
No doubt, there are plenty of places a quad will go that a bike will struggle, no argument here. That's why I had both, haha! But for my style riding, the bike got used more. Up in the forest, bouncing over logs and such it just worked better for me.

Mrlake

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I'm only 5
7 so would a 250cc dirt bike be too big for me??

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you weigh? A 125 2t or 250 4t is probably about the right bike for you.

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quads are for women and small children. Get the bike, it will make you a better rider.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i ride a quad... and we do fast fast woods riding... i have ridden with lots of guys on bikes.. and in general they don't intimidate me at all... i stay right with most.... tons of fun.. bike or quad... i biked for 15 years....loved it... but now there are quads out there that are very fast and handle excellent... 4x4 has changed drastically in the last 9 years... the problem is if you can afford one of these quads... being in BC you have tons of xc trails where you can ride fast... bike is cool but if you can get a chance to ride a can am renegade or polaris scrambler go do it... you will be happy you did...

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
. I have had all three at one point. I ended up selling the race quad, I never used it, I found it was to middle ground between the 4x4 and dirtbike, not excelling at anything as well as the other options. I rode bikes from the time I was three, till now being 26 years old. Always a good time, I started having knee problems when I was around 18 and couldn't ride the bike aggressively, so I bought a race quad. That was a good time, but always missed the bike, since then I have healed up and been riding bikes. As others have stated the 4x4 are a good time as they have drastically changed. I had no interest in them when I was younger because they were rough, and didn't make power. Have had an outlander 1000 the last three years and find I ride it most often, lots of that is to do with my friend group that has a five year cycle of what there into and riding. There all fun. I always rode the bike and race quad in the same terrain, when I got the 4x4 it was like I moved into a whole new area, as I ride it in very different places then I do when I'm on the bike.

brent n

Reaction score
That's like saying let's how well your quad will do on tight single track...

well all i am saying is quotes like women and small kids are all quads are for he most think bikes will go anywhere and most be a lot of women on this site i have rode both my whole life was put on a bike when i was 3 now 36 i will say that i have taken a quad a lot more areas where a bike would go. like was said the new 4x4 quads are a huge different form the quads of old. bikes are fun yes but depending on what he wants to do with it a quad would be better IMO

Mrlake

Reaction score
I think honestly the price is the biggest factor now... Knowing that quads are more expensive until I'm older I will stick with the dirt bikes unless a good deal.comes up

Top Bottom