Different sledding zones in Fernie area

mattalind

Reaction score
I'm coming to Fernie over New Years this winter and am wondering what are the different riding areas? I've been a few times but not in years and I'm pretty sure we always stuck to the Hills/pipeline/notch. I've read about Hartley Lake but the description says trucks need chains so that rules my Ram 4x4 out of the equation. I've also been to Corbin but don't remember too much about it.

What are the other zones in the surrounding area? The only ones I can find online are Hills/Notch/Hartley.

mattalind

Reaction score
Is Hartley Lake open all winter? Sounds like the place to go in Fernie to get into the alpine (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Panzerdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You must drive a Dakota ram 4x4 by the way if you need Chains you can drop your sled and take them you'd be surprised what kinda terrian a snowmobile can cover

mattalind

Reaction score
lol, not a Dakota....5.7 Hemi 4x4.....it's just that online it says 'must have chains on vehicle'.......So what are the different zones? It's been a few years since I've rode Fernie

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just to clarify the above, if you are pulling a trailer, you need chains. Right from the FSA map, "Trucks & SUV's pulling trailers, need chains to access the staging area."

You can access Little Sands, LodgePole/Ram, Matheson, and lots of different places down in the Flathead. With a bit of a longer drive, access around Sparwood and Elkford are also manageable.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify the above, if you are pulling a trailer, you need chains. Right from the FSA map, "Trucks & SUV's pulling trailers, need chains to access the staging area."

You can access Little Sands, LodgePole/Ram, Matheson, and lots of different places down in the Flathead. With a bit of a longer drive, access around Sparwood and Elkford are also manageable.
Great Intel! Thanks man!

My group started mountain riding last winter (prairie boys) and we hit up the fernie area quite often, so we are looking for new areas to explore.

We've been coal Creek (notch), Corbin and I guess north of the gun range. Found a wicked untouched meadow with 3 ft pow on bluebird day 20 mins in!

I'm pumped.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great Intel! Thanks man!

My group started mountain riding last winter (prairie boys) and we hit up the fernie area quite often, so we are looking for new areas to explore.

We've been coal Creek (notch), Corbin and I guess north of the gun range. Found a wicked untouched meadow with 3 ft pow on bluebird day 20 mins in!

I'm pumped.
Just checking here, but if you just started riding the mountains this past year, have riders in your group have your AST 1 yet? From one prairie boy to the next, it is invaluable, and could save your or another's life.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just checking here, but if you just started riding the mountains this past year, have riders in your group have your AST 1 yet? From one prairie boy to the next, it is invaluable, and could save your or another's life.

Crickets... Hey AA. Check out an AST 1 course in Calgary before you go if you do not have it yet.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been riding Corbin and Fernie area for 30 years and we always find new places that we never knew about. Sure if you stick to the trails you will get bored but draw a line on a map between 2 areas you know and try and follow that line, you will not get bored. It sounds like you are ready to kick up your riding style and try some more advanced terrain rather than just a new area.

Last edited:

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I just moved from St. Albert and went to blue, vale and golden and now I live in Kimberley bc and looking forward to all the new and greats places all within 0 -2hrs drive now.......yahoooo come on snow, lol

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Winter is coming. The nights are getting longer and the days are getting shorter

Top Bottom