Diesel Truck Engines, all makes

Bearman

Reaction score
Hey Diesel Owners, especially all those that are Turbo'd.

I have seen this happen a million times and can only shake my head.
The cool dude with the new Dodge, Ford, Chev, GMC diesel unit comes smoking into the parking lot screehes to a halt, turns off the key and hits the pavment before the wheels have bareley stopped moving.
See anything wrong????
Guess what he is currently screwing his turbocharger, why, these little items, as in the turbo, routinely spin in the neighbourhood of 100,000 RPM. when you shut the key off directly after running the turbo will continue to spool down until it stops, if the engine is not running, guess what, no oil pressure, so what is providing the lubrication to the full floating bearings and shaft, simple nothing is, lucky turbo fails, next step engine fails, got it.
Solution, before shutting off engine, let the dam thing idle for at least 2-3 minutes. 40 Years of Cat Diesel Experiance Talking, No Bull.
Bearman

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also whats the differance from leaving it idle? is it just because its not going from 100,000 to 0 but rather say 20,000 to 0 with no oil?

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought it was just common sence to let your diesel idle for a few minutes let her cool a little b4 shutting it down.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also whats the differance from leaving it idle? is it just because its not going from 100,000 to 0 but rather say 20,000 to 0 with no oil?

It gives the turbo a chance to cool down as well as what you say. I run a pyrometer on mine and usually wait till the temp comes down to 150 degrees then shut her down. Cooler turbo doesn't bake your oil .

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That goes for ANY turboed vehicle! Our car is twin turbo and I had to give mywife ch!t a few times for not letting it idle a minute when she gets home. I can always tell when she doesn't by the burnt oil smell in the garage. When she lets it cool properly...no smell.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually just take it easy coming into my 'hood or destination, and don't worry about it.

The turbo timer my brother was running would run the truck for a few minutes after you took out the key and locked up.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
MY TURBO TIMER IS INCLUDED WITH THE "EDGE CHIP WITH ATTITUDE"..... I CAN CONTROL HOW LONG THE TRUCK WILL RUN BY TIME, OR BY EGT..... IT USUALLY RUNS FOR 5 - 10 SECONDS AFTER JUST SHORT DRIVES, AND WILL IDLE FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS AFTER HIWAY DRIVING..... I HAVE MINE SET BY EGT(EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE), AND WILL CONTINUE RUNNING WITH THE KEY OUT AND DOORS ALREADY LOCKED AND ME ALMOST INSIDE THE HOUSE:d

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
f these guys would read their manuals, it explains all about cool down times. My cummins recommends between 1 minute cooling in stop and go traffic up to 5 minutes if operating at high loads for extended periods.

common sense? BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA yeah some guys lack it.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100,000 rpm?? I rarely pull into the parking lot under full boost.
I let mine cool to 350F preturbo before I turn the key

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Found the install manual on the net, added a wire to my e-brake, programmed the module...blamo...fully operational turbo timer that can be turned on/off by my remote...thanks gents!!!!!

See...this is what S&M is supposed to do...help out fellow enthusiasts!!!

Cheers,

Todd.
:d:beer::d

Last edited:
Top Bottom