Diesel heater

Nytroxpress

Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on a diesel heater for a pick up like a 2500 duramax.

I was thinking a Espar D4.

I work away lots and plug ins are non existing so a warm block would be nice what are your thoughts pros and cons

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
best thing you can do. I've had one installed for 5 years now. make sure to buy the pre heater for the fuel pump, and install shut off valves on both coolant lines. the heater does have to come off periodically for cleaning. the shut off valves allow you to do this without loosing coolant. I installed it under my drivers door, inside the frame rail. it's protected there and is low enough where I never loose prime for coolant.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the webasto tsl17 ( thermo top C) on my ram works great never plug in there was a guy selling them on kijji for 650.00 for the kit and install hardware you would still have to buy the multi day timer for about 200 bucks
glover international also has a sale on them as well every year
install is pretty easy hardest part for mine was dropping the fuel tank to put the straw in
you should set your timer to run at least 1 hr per month all summer long to keep them working properly

Last edited:

Nytroxpress

Reaction score
Cool thx guys

How's the battery life as I fly away to work so there is times I don't start my truck for over a month at a time

Is there a best kind or any to stay away from ?

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These things don't affect battery life. They take very little current to run. I have installed and service a few units a year, and through my experience and in my opinion I think the Espar brand is best. Webasto in a close second. The operation and design are very, very similar and even used the same timer for a long time. Pro-heat brand, in my opinion are the worst. I never have luck getting them to stay running.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just installed Webasto tsl17 thermo top C with digital timer for 950 in my gravel truck quite simple to do and works very well about 4 hrs 2 guys, they have a built in battery shutdown at 11.8v from what i was told at Western star so no chance of running battery down and they also say to run at least couple times a month in off season of heating months,

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just put a webasto in our peterbilt gravel truck, works great. Timer, manual mode, etc.

Nytroxpress

Reaction score
Anyone know the best place to pick one up at? I'm leaning towards the Espar d4 model. Can a guy with basic mechanical knowledge do the install or can you suggest any shops near by Edmonton. How much should it cost do you all figure

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the best place to pick one up at? I'm leaning towards the Espar d4 model. Can a guy with basic mechanical knowledge do the install or can you suggest any shops near by Edmonton. How much should it cost do you all figure

Webasto is really good. Call Camex equipment in nisku, they were cheapest with install. They do big trucks but I'd bet they would do a regular pick up. $100/hr think they charged.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tk in Edmonton does our Espars. Try them.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
best thing you can do. I've had one installed for 5 years now. make sure to buy the pre heater for the fuel pump, and install shut off valves on both coolant lines. the heater does have to come off periodically for cleaning. the shut off valves allow you to do this without loosing coolant. I installed it under my drivers door, inside the frame rail. it's protected there and is low enough where I never loose prime for coolant.
I've had mine on my dmax for probably 8 years now and never have serviced it lol. It's mounted in the same place probably as yours.
I prefer the Webasto over the Espar simply because they have a better fuel pump that isn't as sensitive as to how it mounts and they are easier to service. The timer on both are equally as good. You can't go wrong with a heater no matter which you buy.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our shop is a dealer for webasto. They are a better built unit than an espar IMO. I've replaced a lot more espar timers and had issues with the units than webasto so far. It sure is nice to have a piece of equipment up to temp and ready to fire up. Just keep in mind the rest of your drivetrain is still ice cold.

Nytroxpress

Reaction score
Excellent guys thanks.

Anyone know if there is a GMC heater / install kit specific

I was reading on a diesel forum and they said there was it was a espar d5 wz I believe. But when I look at anyone's Web site that carries either espar or wabasto I can't find. D any vehicle specific applications.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent guys thanks.

Anyone know if there is a GMC heater / install kit specific

I was reading on a diesel forum and they said there was it was a espar d5 wz I believe. But when I look at anyone's Web site that carries either espar or wabasto I can't find. D any vehicle specific applications.
The install just requires heater hose and the fittings that will get you into the block of the d max the rest is supplied with a webasto, the most time consuming would be dropping the fuel tank and installing bulkhead fitting for the fuel line.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a few on our diesel pullers, but we switched over to frugal priced Honda gen-set in the 1000 too 2000 Watt category.

$900 tax in on the 1000 Watt and $1600 ish for the 2000 Watt units,,, all 7 of ours have ECO that saves on fuel.

They burn the same amount of fuel depending on out-put.

All trucks have electric in cab heaters with motor block heaters too keep things toasty.

Plus the gen-set work for other tasks at farm and camping.

One diesel heater is the cost of 2 1/2 gen-set, so we switch over about 5 years ago.

My 2005 1000 Watt gen-set still runs today.
Guessing it is closing in on the 10.000 hour mark, Ha.

Still waiting for the connecting rod too punch a hole threw the crank case.

She sure knocks on cold starts these days. LOL.

Only ideas at fast simple and frugal with options too multi task.

Lem

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a few on our diesel pullers, but we switched over to frugal priced Honda gen-set in the 1000 too 2000 Watt category.

$900 tax in on the 1000 Watt and $1600 ish for the 2000 Watt units,,, all 7 of ours have ECO that saves on fuel.

They burn the same amount of fuel depending on out-put.

All trucks have electric in cab heaters with motor block heaters too keep things toasty.

Plus the gen-set work for other tasks at farm and camping.

One diesel heater is the cost of 2 1/2 gen-set, so we switch over about 5 years ago.

My 2005 1000 Watt gen-set still runs today.
Guessing it is closing in on the 10.000 hour mark, Ha.

Still waiting for the connecting rod too punch a hole threw the crank case.

She sure knocks on cold starts these days. LOL.

Only ideas at fast simple and frugal with options too multi task.

Lem

Pretty tuff to set a timer on a gen set, leave it running and it makes lots of noise, attracts thieves if your not around. I have Webasto in all my heavy trucks and will never buy a truck again without installing one. Plus I firmly believe my trucks start much better with the webasto compared to just being plugged in. Its minus 30 right now and when I go out and turn on the key after it has run its 2 hour cycle the temp gauge reads around 120-130 degree's. Instant warm air from the heater and it turns over like its the middle of summer.

A must have in my opinion.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as for price you can get a Webasto at most Peterbilt dealerships for $900.00, a timer costs between 100 and 300 depending on what kind you want. Install is simple.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty tuff to set a timer on a gen set, leave it running and it makes lots of noise, attracts thieves if your not around. I have Webasto in all my heavy trucks and will never buy a truck again without installing one. Plus I firmly believe my trucks start much better with the webasto compared to just being plugged in. Its minus 30 right now and when I go out and turn on the key after it has run its 2 hour cycle the temp gauge reads around 120-130 degree's. Instant warm air from the heater and it turns over like its the middle of summer.

A must have in my opinion.

You guys run them for 2 hours? I have mine set for 50 mins, smaller engine only a 8.9l Cummins

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys run them for 2 hours? I have mine set for 50 mins, smaller engine only a 8.9l Cummins

ISX 550 high tourque, quite a difference in the amount of metal that has to be warmed. -15 or less I run for 60 minutes.

Top Bottom