Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I might use an additive every 3rd or 4th tankful

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I will only use an additive if its running a little funny/noisy

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters

700WFO

Reaction score
Ran 2 micron Racor fuel filters on work Diesel engines.... Found they plugged off frequent. Now using 10 micron rating fuel filters. Interested in finding out what OEM fuel filter rating are for the big three Diesels (Dodge,GM & Ford). Going to have to do some research on that unless some here knows.
Hey '700WFO' ... You mention about using poor & good quality additives. What in your opinion is a good quality additive to use. As per note, I have & still to this day using 'Stanadyne Performance Formula' in all my diesel engines (6.5, Cummins & 6.0 Lt). What are your thoughts.... Thks.

I'm no supreme expert on additives, in fact I've been a nay sayer for much of my life when it comes to additives due largely in part to the many independent test results I've seen over the years. As far as trying to field test additives, one of the best pieces of advice I got from a chemical engineer was to look at two items, clarity and density. What she means is to shake the product vigorously prior to opening the container, then put some into a clear glass jar (aprox 3" diameter) to a depth of at least 4-5 inches. Viscosity of products will vary, but all will usually hold bubbles of air for some time so put it somewhere safe for a couple days. When you go back to it, you look for clarity, can you hold a piece of white paper with a straight line done with a fine point pen and see it clearly through the additive without distortion? On a visual density, can you see anything settled out to the bottom of the glass jar, or different layers in the additive? Is the colour lighter near the top and darker at the bottom? A good additive should'nt have anything settling out, and have even clarity. As for if it lives up to it's claims of improvement, the only real way is through clinical trials to prove it's worth. Remember the first question is always, "What is the intent?" Are they really out to help you? Or are they out to sell a product? Are "ALL" fuel producers really leaving something critcally important out of the mix? Or is it the "Lime slice" in the Corona? Wouldn't engine manufacturers state clearly that it is a must for warranty coverage? Yes there are proven benefits from many diesel additives on the market, but it will always be "Buyer Beware". Read instructions thoroughly on the package and remember, too much of a good thing can turn bad quickly. Just like sledding, it's great when awake, but fall asleep just once and it could suck hugely!

dragonlady

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hummm interesting info guys, I am new to the Diesel world, like 1 tank so far new, I never knew it was so complex, I am a 5000 k take it in to dealership, for fluid changes and any warranty work. So should I be doing anything extra to my truck? And I just got fuel today[ first time for diesel] at Hughs. Is that good or not. The cap said low sodium, bla bla something for fuel. I never read anything like that at the pump and the chick working knew jack. I don't want to seem like Im a dumb blond, Just currious, for my new $$$$$$of a truck. So any info is good info. Personally I like to take it in, So really, my question is..... will that be good enough or not? Thanks And do these additives come in little bottles you pour in tank or are they something else?
I know there are probally guys out there wondering the same but too manly to ask.

700WFO

Reaction score
Some very interesting info you were able to provide, two quick notes of interest, first off, all results are being developed from the use of "UNADDITIZED" fuel as stated in the conclusions, but here in Canada all diesel fuels sold are injected with a lubricity additive prior to going to market as required by law. Therefore they are already additized. In the US it may be possible to buy unadditized diesel fuel, but not here. Again be careful of how much you add?

Secondly, I found it really interesting that item #15, is made by the very same people supplying one of the two "Bio-Diesel" products being tested here in Alberta under the "Alberta Renewable Diesel Project" currently underway. Read on McDuff, knowledge is POWER me thinks! See the thread under Bio Diesel too.

Here is some info I found on Diesel additives that were tested.
Micron improvement is how much it increased the lubricating properties of the fuel. Not published By me. Got it off of a Diesel forum.

In Order Of Performance:

1) 2% REG SoyPower biodiesel
HFRR 221, 415 micron improvement.
50:1 ratio of baseline fuel to 100% biodiesel
66.56 oz. of 100% biodiesel per 26 gallons of diesel fuel
Price: market value

2)Opti-Lube XPD
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, demulsifier
HFRR 317, 319 micron improvement.
256:1 ratio
13 oz/tank
$4.35/tank

3)FPPF RV, Bus, SUV Diesel/Gas fuel treatment
Gas and Diesel
cetane improver, emulsifier
HFRR 439, 197 micron improvement
640:1 ratio
5.2 oz/tank
$2.60/tank

4)Opti-Lube Summer Blend
Multi-purpose
demulsifier
HFRR 447, 189 micron improvement
3000:1 ratio
1.11 oz/tank
$0.68/tank

5)Opti-Lube Winter Blend
Muti-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver
HFRR 461, 175 micron improvement
512:1 ratio
6.5 oz/tank
$3.65/tank

6)Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, emulsifier, bio-diesel compatible
HFRR 470, 166 micron improvement
1000:1 ratio
3.32 oz/tank
$1.87/tank

7)Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems)
HFRR 474, 162 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
$1.09/tank

8)Stanadyne Lubricity Formula
Lubricity Only
demulsifier, 5% bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 479, 157 micron improvement
3.32 oz/tank
$1.00/tank

9)Amsoil Diesel Concentrate
Multi-purpose
demulsifier, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 488, 148 micron improvement
640:1 ratio
5.2 oz/tank
$2.16/tank

10)Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost
Multi-purpose
Cetane improver, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 575, 61 micron improvement
400:1 ratio
8.32 oz/tank
$1.58/tank

11)Howe’s Meaner Power Kleaner
Multi-purpose
Alcohol free
HFRR 586, 50 micron improvement
3.32 oz/tank
$1.36/tank

12)Stanadyne Performance Formula
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, demulsifier, 5% bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 603, 33 micron improvement
480:1 ratio
6.9 oz/tank
$4.35/tank

13)Used Motor Oil, Shell Rotella T 15w40, 5,000 miles used.
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage systems)
HFRR 634, 2 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
price: market value

14)Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant
Gas or diesel
HFRR 641, 5 microns worse than baseline (statistically insignificant change)
427:1 ratio
7.8 oz/tank
$2.65/tank

15)B1000 Diesel Fuel Conditioner by Milligan Biotech
Multi-purpose, canola oil based additive
HFRR 644, 8 microns worse than baseline (statistically insignificant change)
3.32 oz/tank
$2.67/tank

16)FPPF Lubricity Plus Fuel Power
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
Emulsifier, alcohol free
HFRR 675, 39 microns worse than baseline fuel
3.32 oz/tank
$1.12/tank

17)Marvel Mystery Oil
Gas, oil and Diesel fuel additive (NOT ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 and newer systems)
HFRR 678, 42 microns worse than baseline fuel.
320:1 ratio
10.4 oz/tank
$3.22/tank

18)ValvTect Diesel Guard Heavy Duty/Marine Diesel Fuel Additive
Multi-purpose
Cetane improver, emulsifier, alcohol free
HFRR 696, 60 microns worse than baseline fuel
3.32 oz/tank
$2.38/tank

19)Primrose Power Blend 2003
Multi-purpose
Cetane boost, bio-diesel compatible, emulsifier
HFRR 711, 75 microns worse than baseline
1066:1 ratio
3.12 oz/tank
$1.39/tank

CONCLUSIONS:

Products 1 through 4 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 460 or better. This meets the most strict requirements requested by the Engine Manufacturers Association.
Products 1 through 9 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 520 or better, meeting the U.S. diesel fuel requirements for maximum wear scar in a commercially available diesel fuel.
Products 16 through 19 were found to cause the fuel/additive blend to perform worse than the baseline fuel. The cause for this is speculative. This is not unprecedented in HFRR testing and can be caused by alcohol or other components in the additives. Further investigation into the possibilities behind these poor results will investigated.
Any additive testing within +/- 20 microns of the baseline fuel could be considered to have no significant change. The repeatability of this test allows for a +/- 20 micron variability to be considered insignificant.

700WFO

Reaction score
Hummm interesting info guys, I am new to the Diesel world, like 1 tank so far new, I never knew it was so complex, I am a 5000 k take it in to dealership, for fluid changes and any warranty work. So should I be doing anything extra to my truck? And I just got fuel today[ first time for diesel] at Hughs. Is that good or not. The cap said low sodium, bla bla something for fuel. I never read anything like that at the pump and the chick working knew jack. I don't want to seem like Im a dumb blond, Just currious, for my new $$$$$$of a truck. So any info is good info. Personally I like to take it in, So really, my question is..... will that be good enough or not? Thanks And do these additives come in little bottles you pour in tank or are they something else?
I know there are probally guys out there wondering the same but too manly to ask.

Don't worry yourself about it! As for what you thought you read, it might say "Ultra Low Sulfur" diesel fuel as that is now all that is available on the market today. And Hughes buys mainly from Shell, occaisionally from P-Can or Esso.

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 Super Duty and am going to try howes, the bottle say's 30ml for every 8l of fuel, is that what everyone is using as a measurement? The bottle also say's that extra will not affect performance??

RevBlk

Reaction score
I use Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost Multi-purpose. I add as per the directions to every tank. I see it's No 10. Might have to move up a couple of notches in the product list. Truck is an 02 - 7.3 Litre Power Stroke. 350 4x4 SRW. 235000 km. 6 spd with a Super Chip tuner, K&N filter, & open exhaust. Average 22 mpg if I keep it at 2200 rpm or lower (112 kmh). I run 285 17 Cooper discover SST's. Had one filter gum up in the middle of Saskatchewan at Christmas. Changed it roadside. Fun. I had just fueled up at Co-Op that was in a light trafic area. Possibly had summer fuel. This truck has to last another 10 years so for the cheap piece of mind I will keep adding.
Rev

Top Bottom