Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I read an interesting story in Diesel Magazine and it said that they are recomending using aftermarket additives on diesel trucks now because the ultra low sulfer doesn't lubricate well enough.
I've been using Lucas products since I bought my truck.

Do you use additives and if yes, what do you use and why?

Last edited:

GRD

Reaction score
I read an interesting story in Diesel Magazine and it said that they are recomending using additives on diesel trucks now because the ultra low sulfer doesn't lubricate well enough.
I've been using Lucas products since I bought my truck.

I use the same stuff as BIGFOOT, Stanadyne... In every tank (two so far)

Last edited:

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to use additives, then had warranty work on injectors... after that, I thought what's the point. I have been told that GM does not recommend additives, and with 160000km warranty on the diesel engine... not worth the pissing around. Just my 2 cents

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I follow diesel forums quite a bit (more reading when I cant get to sleep and I have read all the posts on SAM)....some guys that are worried about lube are dumping in 1/2 a litre of 2 cycle oil in the tank. It also quiets down the injector knock either some to quite a lot depending on the truck (not the model, just the luck of the draw). I figure I will dump some in when I get the free stuff as give aways or find old stuff around. Since my sleds now require the fancy new synthetic stuff now, the old stuff can go in the oil burners.

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I follow diesel forums quite a bit (more reading when I cant get to sleep and I have read all the posts on SAM)....some guys that are worried about lube are dumping in 1/2 a litre of 2 cycle oil in the tank. It also quiets down the injector knock either some to quite a lot depending on the truck (not the model, just the luck of the draw). I figure I will dump some in when I get the free stuff as give aways or find old stuff around. Since my sleds now require the fancy new synthetic stuff now, the old stuff can go in the oil burners.
Don't add 2 cycle oil to newer diesels with the particalit(spelling) filter in the exhaust the oil well plug them off there is also only certain oils that can go into the engine only must be for ultra low emissions. I am using 5W40 ULE in my 07 duramax(work truck). If its a older truck go ahead and add 2 cycle oil. I have always run howes in mine no issues yet 150,000km's(personal truck).

goodleo

Reaction score
I have always used products from petro pass. I think the brand is FPPF. They make different additives. It is a concentrated product that lasts a while. Seen the product on prarie farm report many years ago. Seems to work well in my truck. 1990 dodge w250 4*4 cummins diesel.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never used anything....but I was told that cetane booster is supposed to be a worthwhile additive.

Dennis-NADP

Reaction score
Website
www.nadp.ca
IMO I would recommend using additives for some very beneficial reasons. First they really help with lubricity especially with the ULSD coming out. For the winter by using an additive with anti-gel, your fuel won't be gummy in cold winter start ups. An additive with cetane booster is good for performance and if it has a cleaner in it, it will add longevity to your engine.

Like 2003Summit said, certain additives will quiet down injector knock and in some cases will add HP and Mileage. We use additives all the time and they work great.

We have never run into an issue regarding warranty and the way additives are made, it won't harm your engine, so long as you are using an additive that is reputable.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been using Howe's in both the Cummins and the Jetta every second tank. Started using it in the truck after the lift pump went but i guess that is a famous problem w/ the early '04. No problems major problems yet.

dieselmech_22

Reaction score
If your diesel is an 07 or newer be careful of what you put in the tanks for additives as the new oils must be cg4 (I think is the number) this oil introduces a new additive package. so make sure your additive goes with this
Also NEVER dump oil in the tank like said previously it will plug the paticular filter and that won't be a warranty item filters can get pretty expensive, we had on that this happened (I am a heavy duty Mechanic) the filter was $1400expensive lesson

Dennis-NADP

Reaction score
Website
www.nadp.ca
I talked to my Rep at Maryn International and also spoke to some people regarding the DPF trucks. Maryn supplies us with Gen 49D diesel additive.

Maryn did testing in regards to DPFs. This is what they found out....

"A diesel particulate filter (DPF) is a device designed to remove diesel particulate matter or soot from the exhaust gas of a diesel engine. A diesel-powered vehicle equipped with functioning filter will emit no visible smoke from its exhaust pipe. In addition to collecting the particulate, a method must exist to clean the filter. Some filters are single use (disposable), while others are designed to burn off the accumulated particulate, either through the use of a catalyst (passive), or through an active technology, such as a fuel burner which heats the filter to soot combustion temperatures. This is known as "filter regeneration." Fuel sulfur interferes with many "regeneration" strategies, so almost all jurisdictions that are interested in the reduction of particulate emissions, are also passing regulations governing fuel sulfur levels. The most notable restriction on sulfur content is in the new ultra low sulfur diesels (ULSD) which can not exceed 15 ppm.

Gen49D with cetane improver is designed to improve the combustion process and therefore reduce emissions. Figure 1 contains data from a commercial truck that shows reductions in various emission levels. The most significant improvement is made in the reduction of particulate matter by approximately 12%. A reduction in particulate matter results in longer DPF lifetimes and reduced regeneration rates. This will translate into not only a cost savings for the consumer, but also a beneficial reduction of harmful emissions into the environment."

We have trusted their product for 2 years now and some of the things that Gen49D has done is truly amazing and we have tried them all. Howes, DSG, Amsoil, Power Services, etc.

I also spoke to a few people that have new trucks, my one boss who is driving an LMM GMC, and he has been running Howes and hasn't noticed anything so far. He has only ran it in one tank so far so it will be awhile until I get true feedback from him. My other boss is driving a 6.7L Cummins and he is running Gen49D and it not noticing any problems either. Benefits though, I am not sure.

We haven't had any complaints coming through our doors regarding DPF trucks and them using additives. But you also have to be careful with what you are running. Make sure its a reputable brand name or polls/thread like this are also a good help :)

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been using Howes for 2 years. No problems yet. Asked the steralership about warrenty work and they told me that it would be really hard to prove that it caused a problem

ZIG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For The 2008 6.4l Ford You Should Be Using Ford # Pm 22 B Cetane Booster. And Pm 23 B Antigel You Will Find Ths At Ford Dealers Only.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't add 2 cycle oil to newer diesels with the particalit(spelling) filter in the exhaust the oil well plug them off there is also only certain oils that can go into the engine only must be for ultra low emissions. I am using 5W40 ULE in my 07 duramax(work truck). If its a older truck go ahead and add 2 cycle oil. I have always run howes in mine no issues yet 150,000km's(personal truck).

That's a good point. I'm pretty sure the guys that do it don't have particulate filters. From everything I have read and heard particulate filters are a good reason not to buy a new truck. They guys with heavy trucks have been living with them for a couple of years now and they say it is nasty.

Anyone tried acetone yet? I hear that is pretty popular. Trying doing a search on acetone and fuel milage on google. Some good studies there.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:D I been using nuthin for 30 years, no problems....cept for trying to spend all of the money I didn't spend on additives and snake oil;)

Top Bottom