Diamond drive trouble yes or no?

MattM

Reaction score
So its my first time pulling out the secondary clutch to even look at the side of the drive. But after yesterdays ride I noticed some oil spray in the clutch area. a thin film looked like it had been whipped around. So tonight I pulled off the secondary clutch looking for a dip stick or something. Cant seem to find one. But i did find what i think is either the fill plug or the drain plug for the diamond drive (located lower on the side) I unscrewed it and nothing came out and could not see any level inside. I cant find any cracks or source of the oil. Have any of you guys experienced this before. also there is no oil under the sled or in the belly pan. Is it a gasket or something more major? Help please suppoesed to go to Golden in a week!

Also i replaced the belt before this ride!

The seld is an 06 M7 with some mods

Matt

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually what causes it to get a light film of oil like that is the vent gets plugged(in the bolt hole for sec clutch) then it builds up pressuree as it heats up and blows out some of the silicone between the two D/D halves. So i'd split the d/d halves and resilicone it and make sure that the vent is clear. The bolt that you can take out is a fill/ full level check.

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what he said ^. buddy just went through the exact same issue and found this to be the cause

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy just piled his up on the weekend....06 M7....no oil in it! $1000 bill

MattM

Reaction score
So is it possible that I had the secondary bolt too tight and this did not let it ventilate properly causing it to blow oil thru the gasket? The slot seems to be clear of junk but after I changed the belt i made sure that bolt was tight then we went for a ride! So perhaps I over tightened the bolt. How tight should it be?

Matt

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So is it possible that I had the secondary bolt too tight and this did not let it ventilate properly causing it to blow oil thru the gasket? The slot seems to be clear of junk but after I changed the belt i made sure that bolt was tight then we went for a ride! So perhaps I over tightened the bolt. How tight should it be?

Matt

Being to tight shouldn't be your problem. The 06 m7 vents out of the little hole in the end of the bolt were the socket goes on.With bolt out make sure its clean so it can vent......The 08 m1000 vents were the grove is where the treads of the bolt go into the diamond drive.

Look at were the driveshaft goes into the diamond drive if its wet back in there with oil.If not its probley seeping out were the case seals together.
I would pull your diamond drive out. Split the case on your work bench.Get a can of brake clean and clean it all out.Inspect bearings,gear teeth and seals.Get the orange high temp gasket maker and put it back together.I'm sure it says everything in that link i sent you. 3oz of fluid for the m7 gear case.Its not that bad of a job.Dont over tighten those diamond drive cover bolts.I have read they strip out easy.....

Good luck.:beer:

MattM

Reaction score
I'll Give this a try on the weekend. I have an RK-Tek secondary, and it has the slotted bolt so is it possible to over torque that bolt and comprimise the venting?

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'll Give this a try on the weekend. I have an RK-Tek secondary, and it has the slotted bolt so is it possible to over torque that bolt and comprimise the venting?

I'm pretty sure over torquing that bolt wont compromise the venting because its not going to seal that grove in the bolt.Just make sure the grove is clean.Not on my m1000 anyway.I have had more problems with the bolt coming out on its own then over tightening it.I'm scared to over tighten it.I put on a new lock washer this time....

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That year the DD only took 3oz of oil.....If it all leaks out you wont see a puddle of oil under your sled or under the hood

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Don't over tighten the secondary bolt...I have heard of people snapping the bolt off,,Not sure on that year.But 30foot pounds is lots of torque.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
every one that posted replied pretty much said the same thing that I will say. As Glenengine said make sure that the grove in your bolt is clean. I had the same issue and that was what the problem was. Stupid design if you ask me. Not only does the grove compromise the integrity of the threads but it tends to fill up with crap and not allow the DD to vent properly

MattM

Reaction score
Great help guys got it pulled off the sled last night. pulled it all apart for inspection. Everything looked really good so i cleaned it up and re-siliconed it and i have it sitting on the bench right now waiting for the silicone to cure and then i will fill her with oil and put it back on the sled tonight. Took alot of "jimmying" to get it pulled off so I hope it goes on alot smoother!

Matt

Top Bottom