Diamond Drive removal

climbin

Reaction score
I am new to the diamond drive thing and am in the process of a track change. I unbuttoned everything last night but can't seem to break the drive shaft loose from the diamond drive. So before I get rowdy I wanted to ask the group if there is anything that holds the drive shaft in place.

The brake side is all uncoupled and the drive shaft is free. My next step was to put a slide hammer on the brake side and try to break it loose.

Any suggestions before I get rammy would be appreciated.

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just took a diamond drive off an 05 m6 had to use a claw hammer and long screw driver to pry diamond drive off it was rusted onto the shaft good,

climbin

Reaction score
Mine is virtually brand new so as long as there isn't anything holding it from the inside I'm going to use a slide hammer on it.

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am the furthest from a cat man, but I think it has a two piece shaft. The shaft should be hollow with a bolt in the middle. All you should need is an extra long extension.

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes there is a bolt in the center of the drive shaft! Do not pry it off! It is located on the rotor end. need large extention and patience.LOL:)

climbin

Reaction score
Damn, I never even looked in the end of the shaft, well thanks and hopefully you're right

chris79

Reaction score
I am new to the diamond drive thing and am in the process of a track change. I unbuttoned everything last night but can't seem to break the drive shaft loose from the diamond drive. So before I get rowdy I wanted to ask the group if there is anything that holds the drive shaft in place.

The brake side is all uncoupled and the drive shaft is free. My next step was to put a slide hammer on the brake side and try to break it loose.

yes do not start prying and hammering long extension 5/8" socket remove the bolt and it will come right off. when you put it back together a little white grease on the the head of the bolt helps hold it in the socket as you put it back bown the shatft i think the torque is 85ft/lbs but double check that good luck :beer::beer:

chris

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope you get her! I thought it was a 9/16 but may very well be a 5/8.

Last edited:

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also dont forget the one nut under the rubber bumper near the engine mount

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am the furthest from a cat man, but I think it has a two piece shaft. The shaft should be hollow with a bolt in the middle. All you should need is an extra long extension.

Hes right about the hoolow shaft and bolt. If your new track is not an arctic cat part # track you will have to shave the internal lugs on the DD side because they will touch and tear. Notice on the cat track they are very small.

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a nut that is on the brake side of the shaft that reqires a special cat socket! its suposed to be a one time use but i just reused it. i just used a pipe wrench very carefully. id also use a punch and punch out the little crimprd spot om the nut, it comes off way esier! then just put the nut back on and use a punch again! worked all last winter. the long bolt goes throught the shaft to a gear inside the dimond drive. i took mine apart but u dont have to. unless u want to inspect things! check out babbits online for a micro-fish.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hes right about the hoolow shaft and bolt. If your new track is not an arctic cat part # track you will have to shave the internal lugs on the DD side because they will touch and tear. Notice on the cat track they are very small.

Interesting. I have an 06 with DD and have run 3 different tracks with no issues whatsoever. Only one was a current Cat PN.

RevBlk

Reaction score
Zrrr. 06 has a smaller case on the DD. 'cause of no reverse. 07 and up need the trimming or clips ground down.
IMO
Rev

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zrrr. 06 has a smaller case on the DD. 'cause of no reverse. 07 and up need the trimming or clips ground down.
IMO
Rev

Yeah, thought about that after.

What I would really like to do is get rid of the DD and go with Supreme Tools new DD chaincase system. Too pricey for me though.

RevBlk

Reaction score
Yeah I agree but wife is spending like a drunken sailor for the kids Christams. None left for Dad this year. Maybe next year.
Rev

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

whenever i get rowdy while "trying" to fix things is never good. usually costs a lot to repair, and the booze to go with it!!!:beer:

climbin

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Obviously as soon as I broke the bolt loose it almost fell apart. Switched over to a diamond light and a challenger extreme track. Just went for a rip and everything is great, other than a blown turbo seal, crap!

bmhickey

Reaction score

What size of track are you taking of looking for a 153

Top Bottom