Diamond drive Planetary AGAIN

W O T

Reaction score
I'm scratching my head. March 2010 I grenaded the Planetary and Transfer gear in my '07 XF 1000 sp. All of a sudden there was a loud "Crunch" and no forward motion. Being 4 miles from nowhere we took off the belt and towed it to a nearby road to get loaded. I am sure that is where I lost most of the teeth. It was the worst sound ever during that tow. Replaced the Planetary and Transfer gear, all the bearings and seals. About a kg. of metal came out of the case. Topped it off with 12 oz. of ACT fluid.

350 miles later I dopped the oil and found filings in the oil. Out came the DD and pulled it apart. Every thing looked good, bearings all good until I pulled the Planetary. One of the 5 little gears in there blew out the brass shim and was grinding away at the structre of the gear set. Not only that, but there is a discoloration one the metal of the Planetary, Xfer gear, Slider, and output assembly. It looks as if there was boiling hot oil poured through it and it ran down it. It looks like all the discoloration would line up. There was exactly 10 oz. drained from the gear box, and I was told there could be up to an oz left insideclinging to the gears and case. If so that would give me 11 oz of fluid. No sign of where the oil went. And even so would 2 oz missing cause one of the ten gears to fail after only 350 miles.

The DD was completely cleaned out when disassembled with brake clean.

Attachments

• Kyle 799.jpg
    Kyle 799.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 273
  • planetary 1.jpg
    planetary 1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 273

W O T

Reaction score
I also would like to know if there should be any in and out play to the input and output gears? I have heard some play in the DD should be expected, but when I pull and push on the input and out put there is about a 16th inch play. Is this normal? I am not missing any shims or bearing (that I know of).

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat gears are welded (not forged) - I replaced the gearsets in wife's M8 with BDX bearings and gears, and my 1000 got a diamond lite drive (I never use reverse, anyway). I suspect you have worn thrust washers as 1/16" seems like a lot of endplay. I disassemble my diamond drives twice per season (prior to start and usually in February), and check oil every ride.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat gears are welded (not forged) - I replaced the gearsets in wife's M8 with BDX bearings and gears, and my 1000 got a diamond lite drive (I never use reverse, anyway). I suspect you have worn thrust washers as 1/16" seems like a lot of endplay. I disassemble my diamond drives twice per season (prior to start and usually in February), and check oil every ride.
Oil loss is not your issue- failure of the thrust bearings is. Check the welds on the planetary input gear (sun gear). The Ultimate solution is to install BDX lite case with their hi-torque gear set. It eliminates all thrust washers and handles more power.

killerrf

Reaction score
most probably wouldnt agree but i think the cat DD oil is crap.

killerrf

Reaction score
What oil would you suggest? I am new to cat.

i actually use case mastertran oil. ive used this oil for 8000+ miles and my DD's all look brand new inside. the cat dd oil is always black and dirty inside... no wonder they say to use a flush fluid. my m1000 DD with 2200 miles looks perfect and every bearing spins buttery smooth and even the gears dont have wear marks on them. i think it works much better but thats just my opinion.

Top Bottom