Detonation in Skidoo 850

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My older 17 850 ended up with detonation in the mag side of the engine taking out the jug, piston and head. The engine had approximately 1400 km. First thing im thinking is Bad Fuel? Any other thoughts. Can we send the fuel in to see what the octane is and where and what are the procedures for that. As an Environmental consultant we have special procedures for handling fuel but we are not doing BTEX we are looking for octane.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as i said on the phone i havent seen an 850 go down from detonation yet...generally thats a polaris deal. Post photos of the cylinder,piston and head

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it truly had detonation, there would of been a warning flash on the screen and the ECM would flag it.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My older 17 850 ended up with detonation in the mag side of the engine taking out the jug, piston and head. The engine had approximately 1400 km. First thing im thinking is Bad Fuel? Any other thoughts. Can we send the fuel in to see what the octane is and where and what are the procedures for that. As an Environmental consultant we have special procedures for handling fuel but we are not doing BTEX we are looking for octane.
The 2017 SKIDOO SUMMIT 850 was ........EXPERIMENTAL SLED from SKIDOO...........LOTS & LOTS OF PROBLEMS MOST PEEPS CALL THEM POS............

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tom is very wise, we've had some interesting discussion on cause of death. Always ending well & in agreement, I would be interested in seeing some photo's.

The KR detection & retard is very good with E TEC's, it has saved many from catastrophic failure. I've seen failures when you have a very slight lean condition the causes over heated piston crown.........won't trigger knock. Those you can see the motor suffered over a long period of time.

If you are getting fuel from hi volume gas pumps unlikely to have bad gas. Metal tanks are bad news, trouble with steel & built in trailer Aluminum. Restricted flow from plugged in tank fuel filters, has been a issue.

One more bad fuel comment, NA motors in elevation will run happily on low octane fuel. The cylinder pressure is so low premium fuel is hurting power.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tom is very wise, we've had some interesting discussion on cause of death. Always ending well & in agreement, I would be interested in seeing some photo's.

The KR detection & retard is very good with E TEC's, it has saved many from catastrophic failure. I've seen failures when you have a very slight lean condition the causes over heated piston crown.........won't trigger knock. Those you can see the motor suffered over a long period of time.

If you are getting fuel from hi volume gas pumps unlikely to have bad gas. Metal tanks are bad news, trouble with steel & built in trailer Aluminum. Restricted flow from plugged in tank fuel filters, has been a issue.

One more bad fuel comment, NA motors in elevation will run happily on low octane fuel. The cylinder pressure is so low premium fuel is hurting power.

Yes that’s very true, the only time I’ve ever had fuel issues (octane codes) was riding around home, I have to run straight av gas to run around here and run 50/50 in the mountains

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of race fuel that is a 7 years old. I'd love to have it tested haha.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has moved with me 3 times haha. Time to start using it in the lawn mower or 3 wheeler or something

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has moved with me 3 times haha. Time to start using it in the lawn mower or 3 wheeler or something
I got a buncha furry fuel and my filler neck cracked on one and let it air out but my shop has smelt like race fuel for about a year so thats nice.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can testify that lawnmowers don't like race gas. Here's my lawnmower on C12...LOL..... :p kept the bugs away though!

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha same thing happened to my buddies when we used it in his lawn mower years ago

Top Bottom