Def

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes heaters fail, never had a tank crack tho

Funny thing is I've had 4 or 5 tank heater trucks, stuck in salmon arm with speed restrictions, this summer

Even tho it doesn't need the heater right now, it needs to see its working or it will limp mode itself

I'm not too up to date on the automotive SCR systems but I'm guessing these heaters are electric? I know with Volvo construction equipment (I'm a dealer tech for them) that they're all coolant heated with the lines outside of the tank electrically traced. Knock on wood we haven't had any major issues with any of the tier 4 final equipped iron.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they are electronic heated

One in the tank, one in the pump, one in the line between tank and injector

Cummins610

Reaction score
DEF is here to stay and is a much better system than straight EGR and DPF. You will see a mileage gain vs your 2012 truck along with less EGR use equaling a longer engine life. Yes it freezes during the winter the system is designed to do so. When you are needing def go to flyingJ and buy right off the fuel pumps, it's .70/L. UFA and coop are also adding def pumps to their card locks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well hopefullt yours doesnt end up regening all winter long like mine did last winter and every couple weeks now. I have a recently opened box jug with less then half a liter used, if you want some let me know as im deleting on wednesday.

Bert204

Reaction score
I'm not too up to date on the automotive SCR systems but I'm guessing these heaters are electric? I know with Volvo construction equipment (I'm a dealer tech for them) that they're all coolant heated with the lines outside of the tank electrically traced. Knock on wood we haven't had any major issues with any of the tier 4 final equipped iron.

Can you get a delete for any construction equipment with DEF or a DPF system? Buddy has a Kobelco excavator with DEF that likes to put up a code every now and then for the exhaust sensor, gets kind of expensive to call the dealer and have somebody come and fix it.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dad has 180,000km on a 2012 f350. zero issues with the def. truck gets an oil change every 10,000km and the def gets topped up at that time. never touch it in between. truck idles alot during the winter as well.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you get a delete for any construction equipment with DEF or a DPF system? Buddy has a Kobelco excavator with DEF that likes to put up a code every now and then for the exhaust sensor, gets kind of expensive to call the dealer and have somebody come and fix it.

Pretty much impossible for most manufacturers. I know for Volvo that the programming is tightly controlled and the only way you can delete one of their machines is with an almost-impossible-to-get delete kit. You pretty much have to prove that the machine has physically left the continent to go work in a country where ULSD isn't common. And even then you gotta jump through hoops before they'll ship you one and hand over the programming. We had a customer out east let a Volvo truck shop try and put one of their delete kits on a wheel loader. It didn't work worth a chit and ended up costing the customer a lot of money and down time getting the machine running properly again.

A machine with and SCR system should be new enough to have warranty I'd imagine? Unless your buddy has too many hours on it already?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
This was when def was brand new.Things have probably changed since then.I've only ever run one truck eith it.
If I have "old" def in my tank my truck knows. Can't see anyone being able to run H2O

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like I should be glad I took the low road and bought a half ton. For now. Sure dont roast over a hill like a turbo diesel but 11.5L/100km is partly what I was after, as well as not having to handle a one ton diesel in parking lots and get around driving, it feels light. The true test will be when I have a trailer to drag in inclement weather. Adios DEF, maybe next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enjoy being able stand near the tail pipe while it's running.

My LML would use 5 gal of def in 12000km in the summer and 16000km in the winter. I always let it run out and then filled it completely up. Never heard of tanks cracking and I never had that problem.
At 194000km a tank heater went so I deleted. In hind-site I should have bought a new tank off Kijiji and kept it clean.

You guys that do a full delete are crazy. Do everything but the Cat and you get all the benefits but none of the smell.

Bert204

Reaction score
Pretty much impossible for most manufacturers. I know for Volvo that the programming is tightly controlled and the only way you can delete one of their machines is with an almost-impossible-to-get delete kit. You pretty much have to prove that the machine has physically left the continent to go work in a country where ULSD isn't common. And even then you gotta jump through hoops before they'll ship you one and hand over the programming. We had a customer out east let a Volvo truck shop try and put one of their delete kits on a wheel loader. It didn't work worth a chit and ended up costing the customer a lot of money and down time getting the machine running properly again.

A machine with and SCR system should be new enough to have warranty I'd imagine? Unless your buddy has too many hours on it already?

Can't remember what he's got for hours on it. I know the dealers won't resell anything that's been deleted at least for heavy equipment. It doesn't have SCR just straight DEF, kinda stupid there is no law in Canada that says you have to abide by that Tier 4 crap and if there is nobody here is enforcing it, so why have it?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DOTs are cracking down on deletes for the on highway guys. There is federal legislation and it's only lately that it's starting to be enforced. I believe the DOTs rewrote their inspection book this year, to fail/fine anyone with a deleted commercial vehicle. Like it or not, the emissions systems are here to stay.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know about all manufacturers but as of 2013 ford has added a nox sensor post dpf to monitor the scr system. Adding anything other than dpf fluid will throw a cel on and most likely limp mode as well. I believe it has something to do with new legislation, they want to make sure its working correct and not just there for looks.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I dont know about all manufacturers but with the 2015 fords atleast they have added a nox sensor post dpf to monitor the scr system. Adding anything other than dpf fluid will throw a cel on and most likely limp mode as well. I believe it has something to do with new legislation, they want to make sure its working correct and not just there for looks.

GM's have had it since the onset of the SCR system. That's why I said these trucks are very sensitive to DEF quality.

Top Bottom